3L without a PI job...help me out

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L without a PI job...help me out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:39 pm

So I'm a 3L at a T10 with around a 3.5 GPA. I want to do public interest, but I'm beginning to get to the panic stage. I don't want to be in some shitty town in the middle of nowhere or in a job I hate. I would like to be in the Northeast or maybe CA, and preferably doing something that helps people.

Does anyone have suggestions for nonprofit or government jobs or fellowships/clerkships that are still accepting applications? I think I need to start on another round at this point.

truevines

Re: 3L without a PI job...help me out

Postby truevines » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm a 3L at a T10 with around a 3.5 GPA. I want to do public interest, but I'm beginning to get to the panic stage. I don't want to be in some shitty town in the middle of nowhere or in a job I hate. I would like to be in the Northeast or maybe CA, and preferably doing something that helps people.

Does anyone have suggestions for nonprofit or government jobs or fellowships/clerkships that are still accepting applications? I think I need to start on another round at this point.

Do you mean a permanent job offer after graduation?

I know two PI-oriented graduates and both of them said that PI employers tend not to hire graduates without passing the bar. Both of them were or are supported by fellowships after graduation.

Maybe that's a norm for PI people to graduate empty-handed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Depends on the T10. I know a few fellowships geared toward graduates of a few T10s.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 pm

It's too bad clerkship hiring is already pretty much over. You should see if there are any state clerkships still available in the state you want to work in.

The fellowship route is the right idea. You should be talking to someone at your school's career services (or public interest, if it has a dedicated one) office NOW about what fellowships you can do when you graduate. That will help you build some real-world experience while you look for a more permanent position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 pm

I think the big fellowships (i.e., Skadden and EJW) are already off the table. Their deadlines were a while ago. Did OP apply for those??

linquest

Postby linquest » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:30 am

There should be some fellowships that have later deadlines, especially smaller orgs, and some that also take rolling applications (AFL-CIO comes to mind). It's not unusual for orgs to hire their fellows permanently once they're done with the program, but I understand that some orgs have a policy against that. The best resource online for fellowships is here- http://pslawnet.org/informationandresources

truevines wrote: PI employers tend not to hire graduates without passing the bar...Maybe that's a norm for PI people to graduate empty-handed?

That's also true. Unlike the large firms (well, until the BigLaw bust) and government agencies, the majority of PI orgs hire when funding kicks in or when they have attrition, so they're usually looking for someone who can start soon rather than waiting for graduation or admission to the bar. It's really too early to be in panic mode.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 am

why have you struggled to find a PI position? you seem pretty well-qualified.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 am

General Tso wrote:why have you struggled to find a PI position? you seem pretty well-qualified.

Because it's November and the majority of the jobs haven't hired yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 am

OP here. I applied for Skadden (no dice). No word on EJW yet (it seems like I might have to wait until January or later, depending...). Pursuing state clerkships and fed jobs. Just getting discouraged, and freaked out about debt.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I applied for Skadden (no dice). No word on EJW yet (it seems like I might have to wait until January or later, depending...). Pursuing state clerkships and fed jobs. Just getting discouraged, and freaked out about debt.

1) You're at a T10, so your school has an LRAP, right?

2) IBR is your friend. It will keep your loan payments down no matter what kind of work you do.

gedmem2

Postby gedmem2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Don't worry, the only PI 3Ls I know who have jobs are clerking. It's hard when everyone else has firm jobs and can just relax, but you still have plenty of time. Have you looked on PSLawNet for upcoming fellowship deadlines? Does your school have specific fellowships just for graduates?

From what I hear CA is tough because of their budgetary problems, but the Northeast should be pretty solid.

You could have a visit with your Career Services Office or PI lawyer friends-- I bet they will both tell you to try to relax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I applied for Skadden (no dice). No word on EJW yet (it seems like I might have to wait until January or later, depending...). Pursuing state clerkships and fed jobs. Just getting discouraged, and freaked out about debt.

PI orgs will hire straight out of law school, but no one's going to hire you with a start date earlier than late August and very few, if any, orgs know what they'll need for August/September yet. I got a job-offer in March last year and I was one of the first to get a PI job in my class at a T10.

FWIW, I also freaked out, also had a 3.5, and also got shut out with clerkships and fellowship apps. Keep applying, keep your head up, and do your best not to panic.

Return to “Legal Employment”