Leveraging offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leveraging offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Hey guys,

I finally, finally got an offer! Yay. Secondary market. There's only one other firm I'm waiting on, in the same market. They said to let them know if I come up against any offer deadlines. Should I let them know now? And any ideas what is the politest way to phrase this? Phone or email?

Input appreciated.

Thanks,
OP

vamedic03

Re: Leveraging offers

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I finally, finally got an offer! Yay. Secondary market. There's only one other firm I'm waiting on, in the same market. They said to let them know if I come up against any offer deadlines. Should I let them know now? And any ideas what is the politest way to phrase this? Phone or email?

Input appreciated.

Thanks,
OP

Call them up and tell them you have another offer. Let them know your timeline. While you're hoping to 'leverage' this into an offer, it's really just a matter of professional courtesy.

jkparker2

Postby jkparker2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Could you post or PM me the market? I am still waiting to hear back from a firm in a secondary market. I would say that there is no problem in calling them tomorrow and notifying them of your offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:40 pm

OP here. Just to update people - I called and told the recruiter. Received a call later that night saying they're still v interested in me but it's going to be a while.

Le sigh.

Return to “Legal Employment”