DOJ Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:12 pm

I am still waiting. I have made repeated calls to try and get more information about the alternate process and all, nothing. It is very frustrating.

Even on avue where someone from DOJ/OARM was being very diligent about replying to questions on the community tab it is all *crickets.*

Doesn't anyone remember what it was like to be on the other end of all of this? Maybe not because the economy was not as bad or they had a billion other options?

Ugh!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am still waiting. I have made repeated calls to try and get more information about the alternate process and all, nothing. It is very frustrating.

Even on avue where someone from DOJ/OARM was being very diligent about replying to questions on the community tab it is all *crickets.*

Doesn't anyone remember what it was like to be on the other end of all of this? Maybe not because the economy was not as bad or they had a billion other options?

Ugh!


Are you waiting on EOIR, too?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:35 am

I am still waiting on EOIR--I still haven't heard anything! Avue still has me listed as a finalist but haven't heard a word. I don't have much hope---but until I get that rejection I have a little hope. I think its been about exactly a month since the EOIR offiers went out---so they should now know whether or not everyone accepted....hopefully we will at least get a rejection or soemthing soon. The susepense is rough!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Perhaps a small glimmer of hope for Christmas! (From the avue site):

The Office of Attorney Recruitment and Management has received several inquires from Honors Program candidates selected by EOIR as finalists regarding the EOIR hiring timeline. We asked for an update and EOIR advised that the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge has not concluded the JLC or SLIP hiring process. They plan to issue additional JLC and SLIP offers late next week through early January.

This would be an awesome gift :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the update. Now I'm curious to know whether the offers that are remaining are still first round offers, or if they are second round offers (from first rounders who declined). I'm inclined to think it is the latter, but who knows.

Anonymous User wrote:Perhaps a small glimmer of hope for Christmas! (From the avue site):

The Office of Attorney Recruitment and Management has received several inquires from Honors Program candidates selected by EOIR as finalists regarding the EOIR hiring timeline. We asked for an update and EOIR advised that the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge has not concluded the JLC or SLIP hiring process. They plan to issue additional JLC and SLIP offers late next week through early January.

This would be an awesome gift :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:05 am

I strongly think it's the latter. A friend of mine mentioned that EOIR told him that they handed out all first-round SLIP offers already, so I'm not sure why it'd be any different for Honors.

A better question might be whether they've already issued alternate offers, and how many spots are now open. Surely people have already declined offers, given that the 28 day deadline has passed, but they might have decided to wait to issue all alternate offers at one time. Also, it'd be good to know how many alternates there are in the pool.

I'm just nervous rambling now; it might've been better if I never even saw the update.




Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the update. Now I'm curious to know whether the offers that are remaining are still first round offers, or if they are second round offers (from first rounders who declined). I'm inclined to think it is the latter, but who knows.

Anonymous User wrote:Perhaps a small glimmer of hope for Christmas! (From the avue site):

The Office of Attorney Recruitment and Management has received several inquires from Honors Program candidates selected by EOIR as finalists regarding the EOIR hiring timeline. We asked for an update and EOIR advised that the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge has not concluded the JLC or SLIP hiring process. They plan to issue additional JLC and SLIP offers late next week through early January.

This would be an awesome gift :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just registered for TLS in order to post this insight about EOIR. I know how tortuous it can be waiting and not hearing. My advice is not to fret over it until the new year....


Thanks for all your insight. I've accepted a position with EOIR but all this is very interesting... wondering if they would consider switching my location. Probably not haha. I would consider working for DHS, though I much prefer DOJ, but the work that OIL does doesn't appeal to me at all (not that DHS or OIL are options for me... haha)


Can you share your interview process with us. How bad was it? I'm interested in DOJ as well, and was wondering. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:14 am

Can someone share their background check process with us? What kind of information did they collect etc.? I often hear bad stories about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I strongly think it's the latter. A friend of mine mentioned that EOIR told him that they handed out all first-round SLIP offers already, so I'm not sure why it'd be any different for Honors.


One big difference is that there are probably only 15-20 SLIP offers max, and EOIR does not have to play the geography game with SLIP offers like it has to with HP offers.

But I'm simply trying to be as optimistic as possible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Either way, there are more offers to be given out, so it doesn't really matter, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:18 pm

As long as more are going out it doesn't matter. Keep us posted with any calls to references, any acceptances and also if you reject an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:27 pm

They said more Honors and slip offers will be going out in the avue post quoted above.

I forgot about reference calls. I made the mistake of giving them my professors' school office numbers, but they likely aren't going to be in their offices until mid-jan. More things to stress about.

Also, I wonder if they really are going to make offers later this week, since I'm guessing most people took off at least half this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Well, it's "late next week" now...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They said more Honors and slip offers will be going out in the avue post quoted above.

I forgot about reference calls. I made the mistake of giving them my professors' school office numbers, but they likely aren't going to be in their offices until mid-jan. More things to stress about.

Also, I wonder if they really are going to make offers later this week, since I'm guessing most people took off at least half this week.


I don't know how that will work. I gave them profs/school admins and my school is closed until jan 4th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:49 pm

They might've decided to forego calling references at this point; they have to know how tough it'd be to get ahold of anyone. It still puzzles me how they can possibly be making more offers this late in the game, but I guess it's only a good thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:32 pm

Just some info: I had a friend who got an EOIR offer in early Feb. last year. Her impression was that she was maybe a third (or later round) pick and that she got it because her location assignment was considered a less desireable one. So if you were broadly open as to location, I wouldn't worry until it's all over. Also FYI today's a federal holiday, so government workers are off today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info...it's definitely not over until it's over.

I know its torturous, but I'm glad we can at least commiserate. Good luck and happy new year!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:06 pm

just to give some comfort to those of you out there still waiting, I was a finalist, no reference calls and received a "thanks, but no thanks" email from Avue this past week (wednesday I think). So if you didn't receive one of those there's still hope. Good luck to all of you! For EOIR Honors is what I meant, in case that wasn't clear.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Thank you; it was very nice of you to come on here and update everyone. I'm sorry about the news, though; I know how tough it's been waiting so long to hear.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Did the email come from the avue site itself or was it from one of the arcs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just some info: I had a friend who got an EOIR offer in early Feb. last year. Her impression was that she was maybe a third (or later round) pick and that she got it because her location assignment was considered a less desireable one. So if you were broadly open as to location, I wouldn't worry until it's all over. Also FYI today's a federal holiday, so government workers are off today.


Can you still see your application and application status on avue? I just logged on, and both have disappeared.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm

For what it's worth, I know a couple people whose acceptance deadlines are this week (b/c of delays reaching references, etc.) and both are declining, so there were definitely some first round offers that went out slightly later than the pre-Thanksgiving time period, meaning that "second round" offers are still coming and probably will be for a while. Also, for those concerned about which phone numbers they listed, etc., at least some of my references were contacted by email, so that shouldn't be a problem if profs are out of the office for the break. Good luck to everyone and Happy New Year!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did the email come from the avue site itself or was it from one of the arcs?


It was one of those Avue emails.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Jeez, you think you'd at least get an email from the department itself. Were you a finalist?

Thanks for the info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273446
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:11 am

I'm sorry about your rejection. Thank you for keeping us posted.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.