DOJ Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:41 am

seems like its EOIR and Antitrust only so far whose statuses have changed. Haven't heard of anyone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 am

Interviewed with Civil Rights Division. Still says "Selected for Interview." Anyone else had theirs change yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Interviewed with Tax; still says "selected for interview"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 pm

I interviewed with EOIR. My status changed to "Selected as Finalist" yesterday. However, none of my references have been called yet.

DOJ said most components intend to make first-round offers before thanksgiving. A finalist can either receive a first round offer or be an alternate.

First round offers are open for 28 days so alternates may have to wait a long time.

This is so nerve-wracking.

Anyone had his/her references called? When? What component?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:41 pm

My references were called the week after my interview with Antitrust.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 pm

I'll join in the fun, and by that I mean the anxious waiting around to hear something.

I interviewed with a Civil division and my references were contacted shortly after. I'd prefer not to list my division (despite the supposed anonymity) but it is one that has not yet had "selected as finalist" changes reported. My status is still "selected for interview".

Best of luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:32 pm

so if i interviewed with antitrust (and no other component) and my status still says "selected for interview" (while others have had theirs changed to finalist), does that basically mean i'm screwed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so if i interviewed with antitrust (and no other component) and my status still says "selected for interview" (while others have had theirs changed to finalist), does that basically mean i'm screwed?

Honestly I don't think anyone can tell you what that means this early on... it's all just guesswork.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Not to cause panic amongst everyone on this thread but . . . my Avue status just changed to "Selected as Finalist".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Do you care to share what component(s) you interviewed with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Not to cause panic amongst everyone on this thread but . . . my Avue status just changed to "Selected as Finalist".

Which component??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Also an EOIR applicant - status changed to 'selected as finalist' yesterday....

lakenyana

Postby lakenyana » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Good luck everyone

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also an EOIR applicant - status changed to 'selected as finalist' yesterday....

Yay! Someone in the same boat as me. Please let me know if/when you get your references called. This is torture!!!!!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am

Offer calls for honors/civil have gone out at least in part. A co-worker received one today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:21 am

Offer calls for honors/civil have gone out at least in part. A co-worker received one today.

Not the Civil Rights Division, though, correct?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Which component??

I am this person:

Anonymous User wrote:I'll join in the fun, and by that I mean the anxious waiting around to hear something.

I interviewed with a Civil division and my references were contacted shortly after. I'd prefer not to list my division (despite the supposed anonymity) but it is one that has not yet had "selected as finalist" changes reported. My status is still "selected for interview".

I really would prefer not to say much more than that because the component I interviewed with isn't hiring to fill many spots. If I get an offer this week, I'll gladly share.

Has anyone found out, for certain, what "selected as finalist" means? Someone a page back said it means you were approved for an off. So you're somewhere on the offer list but you have no idea where and you may get a call this week or in a month, if at all? Does that about sum it up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which component??

I am this person:

Anonymous User wrote:I'll join in the fun, and by that I mean the anxious waiting around to hear something.

I really would prefer not to say much more than that because the component I interviewed with isn't hiring to fill many spots. If I get an offer this week, I'll gladly share.

Has anyone found out, for certain, what "selected as finalist" means? Someone a page back said it means you were approved for an off. So you're somewhere on the offer list but you have no idea where and you may get a call this week or in a month, if at all? Does that about sum it up?

If you log in to avue and go to "community," one of the DOJ people explained it. Being selected as a finalist means your component wants you and has received approval to make an offer. The thing is though, they get approval for more people than there are spots. So some finalists are going to get offers while others are alternates. Alternates will only get an offer if the first pick turns the offer down.

Most components will make first round offers before thanksgiving. If you don't receive an offer by then you are probably an alternate. First round offers have 28 days to accept or reject the offer so alternates may have to wait a while to hear something. Hope that helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:32 am

I know someone who works at the civil division. She works in the torts branch. She said the civil division started issuing offers this week. She said she can't speak for the rest of DOJ, they are slightly different in terms of timeline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 am

I'm an EOIR "selected as finalist" and one of my references notified me that she'd been called this morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an EOIR "selected as finalist" and one of my references notified me that she'd been called this morning.

thanks for this update!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 am

Anyone out there have their status change or hear anything from the UST?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone out there have their status change or hear anything from the UST?

Not yet for me. This is depressing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone out there have their status change or hear anything from the UST?

Not yet for me. This is depressing.

what is UST?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Has anyone heard anything from either of the OIL divisions? I'm still painfully at Selected for Interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”