DOJ Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Have we heard of any EOIR offers for sure, or just that they have started making calls? I'm a finalist and just trying to figure out when it's time to resign myself to being an alternate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Were you selected as a "finalist" for Antitrust? If so, did you status change in Avue?

Yes, I was selected as a finalist and my status changed as of last Monday. My ARC did not tell me how many alternates there were, but just that there is a "pool." So the alternates were not ranked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 pm

EOIR has begun giving offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR has begun giving offers

I'm an EOIR finalist whose references have not been contacted. Not a good sign :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Has anyone heard from Tax or heard of Tax offers? One was reported on ATL but no details were given.

I've been holding out hope but I'm starting to give up and accept that I'm an alternate. Status changed to "Selected as Finalist" last Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Where did you get this info?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm an EOIR finalist whose references have not been contacted. Not a good sign :(

Me too :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I second that question. Have you (or someone you know) received an offer? If so, does it seem like they're doing the most or least desirable places first? Thanks for any info!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I second that question. Have you (or someone you know) received an offer? If so, does it seem like they're doing the most or least desirable places first? Thanks for any info!

I was offered a position but I don't want to say where - one of the bigger courts. I don't know what's considered "desirable."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was offered a position but I don't want to say where - one of the bigger courts. I don't know what's considered "desirable."

That's awesome! Congrats! I guess I shouldn't say "desirable"; I just meant bigger cities as opposed to some of the more remote locations, which may be more desirable to some people. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! When did they call your refs and when did they call you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Congrats! When did they call your refs and when did they call you?

Thanks guys - don't want to get into specifics ATM b/c it seems not many EOIR offers gave gone out...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:53 pm

I was offered a position but I don't want to say where - one of the bigger courts. I don't know what's considered "desirable."[/quote]

Congrats! When did they call your refs and when did they call you?[/quote]

How did they contact you to make the offer (phone, e-mail, carrier pigeon, etc.)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:55 pm

I feel like EOIR and I went on a first date and now I'm hovering by the phone waiting to see if they liked me, too, and want to go out again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was offered a position but I don't want to say where - one of the bigger courts. I don't know what's considered "desirable."

Congrats! When did they call your refs and when did they call you?[/quote]

How did they contact you to make the offer (phone, e-mail, carrier pigeon, etc.)?[/quote]

I'm not the above poster, but I got an offer for one of the bigger courts. Offer came by phone, 703 area code. Good luck to everyone waiting; remember that they are hiring a huge number of folks so this process is going to drag on for a while. Cheers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like EOIR and I went on a first date and now I'm hovering by the phone waiting to see if they liked me, too, and want to go out again.

Did your status online change?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Any additional news on whether EOIR is completing hiring today for first round? Someone asked on avue, but no response yet. I'm tempted to call my ARC, but I don't want to be too annoying considering they must be crazy busy and it's almost a holiday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel like EOIR and I went on a first date and now I'm hovering by the phone waiting to see if they liked me, too, and want to go out again.

Did your status online change?

It did...last Monday, and I had references called, but no phone calls from DOJ.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:11 pm

A poster on ATL says federal employees are heading home at 2 local time, so those of us still waiting...I guess that's it for now. I wish someone would let us know if EOIR is done yet.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Does anyone have any insight on two questions re: the DoJ Honors program:

1.) Do clerks apply to this program while they're clerking, or are you supposed to apply as a 3L for a post-clerkship position?
2.) Does anyone know anything about the US Trustee division?
3.) Are all DoJ gigs on the same fed employee pay scale? In other words, are Antitrust and UST people making the same, even though Antitrust is far more prestigious?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Does anyone have any insight on two questions re: the DoJ Honors program:

1.) Do clerks apply to this program while they're clerking, or are you supposed to apply as a 3L for a post-clerkship position?
3.) Are all DoJ gigs on the same fed employee pay scale? In other words, are Antitrust and UST people making the same, even though Antitrust is far more prestigious?

Hey, I was just talking to you re big law vs. doj. As I mentioned there, you definitely would apply during your clerkship. Also, I know some about UST. That's where i applied. Same money for all. After your clerkship you would probably start as a GS12 step 1.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Does anyone have any insight on two questions re: the DoJ Honors program:

Hey, I was just talking to you re big law vs. doj. As I mentioned there, you definitely would apply during your clerkship. Also, I know some about UST. That's where i applied. Same money for all. After your clerkship you would probably start as a GS12 step 1.

Would you mind shooting me a PM?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 am

So, any more news today?

Golf6Delta

Postby Golf6Delta » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Got responses from my three references. One spoke to someone from EOIR last week. The other two are still playing phone tag.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Golf6Delta wrote:Got responses from my three references. One spoke to someone from EOIR last week. The other two are still playing phone tag.

So do we think EOIR isn't done with first round offers yet? I haven't gotten a response from my ARC to know if they're done with first picks yet, and I'm going a little crazy...

Return to “Legal Employment”