1L summer and prosecution

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
soda mayor

1L summer and prosecution

Postby soda mayor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:46 pm

If my long term goals may be to work in prosecution, what would be the best thing to do 1L summer? Interning with the DA? a judge?

Also, what does this process entail in terms of when and to whom I should be applying to?

vanwinkle

Re: 1L summer and prosecution

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:04 pm

1) If you want to be a DA, best place is definitely a DA's office. Where doesn't matter much for 1L, just matters you're getting the experience somewhere.

2) Ideally, you'll be mailing resumes and cover letters to every DA's office you could possibly work at on Dec. 1 (the first day 1Ls can send out resumes). These will be internships, so choose places you could afford to live cheaply (cities near family or friends you could stay with, or the school you're currently attending if you're going to stay there all summer, etc.) but try to be as flexible as possible.

3) If possible talk to someone at your school (career services, or public service placement if it's a separate office) about a DA's office you could visit/intern with over winter break. You can get a week or two of experience in a DA's office to put on your resume, and a chance to meet people in that office who might have you back for the summer.

4) If you can't get an internship with a DA, don't worry. See if you can RA with a criminal law professor at your school, or do some other kind of substantive public service work just so you have something that builds legal skills on your resume. Most people don't get to do what they're most hoping to their 1L summer, and it won't hurt you as long as you do something useful. I'd suggest trying to find something that will give you a lot of legal writing or client interaction over the summer, skills that would be useful in a DA's office.

5) Try to meet as many DAs as you can. If they come to your school to talk, go meet them. Go volunteer at an office during winter break or spring break if you can. Do whatever it takes to build up contacts and even short experiences that you can put on your resume to show your interest and dedication. There's plenty of time to do this before 3L when you'll be applying for DA jobs. Don't sweat if you're too busy at the moment, you can do this next spring and during 2L, but the more you do the better you make your odds of success.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Would all of the above apply to JAG and AUSA as well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:09 pm

adonai wrote:Would all of the above apply to JAG and AUSA as well?

Yes. I'm not sure about JAG, but I know that most USAO summer internship programs begin hiring in early January, many times through PI/Gov't career fairs that are aimed primarily at 1Ls, but also through direct-write applications. Check their websites for how/when to apply.

Also, if you can't get a DA or USAO position, it may be better to work for a public defender rather than being an RA for a criminal law professor, for no other reason than it gives you some work experience to discuss in 2L interviews, and allows you to be in court all the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Check out some career services webpages from other schools for a guide about this. I know Harvard or Yale has a really good and extensive one about pursuing prosecution employment. UVA has one under their public service page, and believe it or not Pace has an excellent one for looking in NY.

The Harvard/Yale one may not be on their page, but you can find it through google. I know I did. Seriously, the thing is like 40 pages.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, if you can't get a DA or USAO position, it may be better to work for a public defender rather than being an RA for a criminal law professor, for no other reason than it gives you some work experience to discuss in 2L interviews, and allows you to be in court all the time.

This is probably generally true, but there are a few prosecutors' offices that will be a little skeptical of you if you do this. Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as the other way around (some public defenders will stop reading your resume if they see any prosecutorial experience at all listed).

Return to “Legal Employment”