CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Take Midlaw or wait for Biglaw/Govt? (Please read post first)

Take Midlaw
32
97%
Wait for Biglaw/Govt
1
3%
 
Total votes: 33

Anonymous User
Posts: 273497
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 am

Offer: NLJ250ish midlaw firm close to, but outside NYC (think CT, Long Island, NJ). Pays b/w 100-120k w/ no bonuses, 5k yearly raise, decent partnership prospects, decent job security, more humane billables, pretty good rep in its market but there are better

Myself: CCNer w/ below-median but not terrible grades to best of my knowledge (think ~30th percentile). Slightly overbid in OCI, got 8 CB's (V5, V30, 2 V100 + 4 non-Vault) through combination of EIW and Fall Recruiting. Didn't really kill any of my CB's, except for one where I was on-hold forever and didn't make the cut b/c of grades I think. Blew 1 or 2, but overall interviewing was average. Ended up on hold at many places and came out with just the one offer.

Eventual goal: BIGlaw. Not just for the $ but for better exit opps (banking, in-house at a large public company, possible MBA at name-brand school). It's what I specifically came to law school to get.

Where things stand: Offer deadline coming up soon and I'm wondering whether to take the offer or wait out for something better in terms of this summer or for setting me up for mythical 3L OCI. My school has resumes out at a lot of firms that are still looking for people and specifically asked for resumes, and several have gotten jobs through them, although most thus far have been those with higher grades. None of those firms have called me for a screener or CB yet (possibly saying something about my competitiveness going forward). I'd also start a govt. job hunt, but of course, most of the "prestigious" govt. position deadlines have passed. No way I would want to end up doing public interest. Trying to figure out what my best shot for attaining biglaw is. I understand I'm lucky to have an offer in the first-place and biglaw is a slim chance at this point either for 2L summer or through 3L OCI, but that's not what I'd like to be the main discussion.

Choice 1: Take mid-law, kick-ass to get above median, and try to get biglaw through 3L OCI next year.
Choice 2: Decline offer, keep trying to get biglaw for 2L summer, and if things don't work out, take some govt. position assuming I can get one, kick ass, and aim for biglaw through 3L OCI.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 am

Where are you hoping to exit to?

>$100K + humane billables + decent job security = win, to a lot of people. That's not something to scoff at.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273497
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:58 am

vanwinkle wrote:Where are you hoping to exit to?

>$100K + humane billables + decent job security = win, to a lot of people. That's not something to scoff at.


Primarily banking. Possibly in-house at a large public company, or even an MBA at a good school.

ajaj46
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby ajaj46 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:12 am

just outta curiosity, why id yourself as CCN then mention EIW? only one school uses that term

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:36 am

vanwinkle wrote:Where are you hoping to exit to?

>$100K + humane billables + decent job security = win
, to a lot of people. That's not something to scoff at.


This sounds like a VERY GOOD job. Especially since you get to live in the cheap areas OUTSIDE Manhattan where it doesn't cost $3k to get a decent apartment.

User avatar
VictoryFord
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby VictoryFord » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:53 am

most people leave biglaw to get a job with those stats. you've already won

Anonymous User
Posts: 273497
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:54 am

ajaj46 wrote:just outta curiosity, why id yourself as CCN then mention EIW? only one school uses that term

Us GeorgeTTTown folks aren't so good with deception apparently.

OP.....you hit a home run man. That's a great spot to be in. I'll be jealous when I'm rounding up desperately trying to meet 200 billables for the month and you're at home, collecting a higher per hour salary than most big law junior associates.

The only possible downside is exit options, but ITE you can't be THAT picky. Take this job and be grateful.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby RVP11 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:14 am

Take the "MidLaw" offer and try for BigLaw again at 3L OCI.

HamDel
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby HamDel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 am

I think NYU is the only school that uses EIW, so I'll assume that's where you are. Why not apply to Stern for an MBA while there? I hear you don't even need to take the GMAT, and although it's not the highest ranked b-school all around it's excellent in finance and you can surely get a job on Wall Street with a JD/MBA from NYU.

Edit: also, it's a bird in the hand. It's not always so easy to get an MBA with legal work experience, so this might be your best/only good shot to get into a prestigious b-school.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Sounds to me like you're asking if it's better to be employed or unemployed.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Unemployed » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Count yourself lucky and take the midlaw job. It's a rare opportunity that a lot of people (even those with "biglaw" offers) wish they had.

Btw, you fully disclosed your school when you used the term "EIW" and made references to a career development office that actually goes to bat for the students who struck out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273497
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:13 pm

You'd be a fool not to take the midlaw job. You will have to increase your GPA (way over median) anyway to have a shot at 3L OCI, and that will be easier without one more thing (job search) to worry about. Biglaw has largely wrapped up hiring by now.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby kurla88 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 pm

I do not understand how this is even a question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273497
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 pm

kurla88 wrote:I do not understand how this is even a question.


Original poster here....of course I am heavily leaning towards the mid-law job, but its hard to let go of your dream (yes..biglaw), especially when it will significantly alter your long-term plans and goals. It's also hard when people with the exact same grades as you are just walking with the herd into a 145/160k job in NY that you actually wanted for reasons other than the fact that it's the easiest thing to do. I understand I f'd up somewhere and the world doesn't owe me anything, but that doesn't make it easier. I think I'm going to take this job and concentrate on my grades here on out, but please add on if you have more input.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273497
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:38 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in your exact same position and have often contemplated the same question. I think we both know what the right answer is, but it would be really, really nice to hold on to the possibility of something great coming through for a little bit longer.

I have a few more days to decide and am going to hold out hope that some pending things come through before then, but if not, I'm going to graciously accept the opportunity I have and work as hard as I can to achieve my goals using alternate routes.

Totally ok to have a dream and be bummed about not being able to chase it, even if your other option is still great. However, we've got to be smart here. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273497
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If it makes you feel any better, I'm in your exact same position and have often contemplated the same question. I think we both know what the right answer is, but it would be really, really nice to hold on to the possibility of something great coming through for a little bit longer.

I have a few more days to decide and am going to hold out hope that some pending things come through before then, but if not, I'm going to graciously accept the opportunity I have and work as hard as I can to achieve my goals using alternate routes.

Totally ok to have a dream and be bummed about not being able to chase it, even if your other option is still great. However, we've got to be smart here. Good luck!


I'm out of other options at this point, but I really hope something comes through for you! And if not, well...we could do much worse.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: CCN Case Study:Take Midlaw Offer or wait out for Biglaw/Govt

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:50 pm

HamDel wrote:I think NYU is the only school that uses EIW, so I'll assume that's where you are. Why not apply to Stern for an MBA while there? I hear you don't even need to take the GMAT, and although it's not the highest ranked b-school all around it's excellent in finance and you can surely get a job on Wall Street with a JD/MBA from NYU.

Edit: also, it's a bird in the hand. It's not always so easy to get an MBA with legal work experience, so this might be your best/only good shot to get into a prestigious b-school.


Another $120k debt, I'm guessing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.