Locking redudant threads Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drew

Bronze

Locking redudant threads

Post by drew » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Hey Mods,

Have you ever considered that your interest in wielding the Rule 403 e-gavel should be balanced with the interest of the site's owner to attract more users? I know that TLS regulars's time is extremely valuable, but perhaps you should hesitate before using the dismissive "use the search feature"/lock response when dealing with a potential new user.

Just a thought.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Locking redudant threads

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:31 pm

drew wrote:Hey Mods,

Have you ever considered that your interest in wielding the Rule 403 e-gavel should be balanced with the interest of the site's owner to attract more users? I know that TLS regulars's time is extremely valuable, but perhaps you should hesitate before using the dismissive "use the search feature"/lock response when dealing with a potential new user.

Just a thought.
Redundant threads attract more users?

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Just a thought.
Relevant content and hospitality does.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:40 pm

drew wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Just a thought.
Relevant content and hospitality does.
The need to attract new users must be balanced with the need to retain existing ones. We do not lock every, or even most, or even many redundant threads. If you need proof of this, just head over to the Admissions forum. I bet that within the first 2 pages, you'll find a thread about whether the quality of an applicant's undergraduate university matters in admissions, or about what "good softs" are. However some topics are so numerous, and generate such little potential for fruitful discussion beyond a certain point, that locking the threads just saves everyone trouble. Plus which, encouraging new users to use the search function before asking a question is pretty standard procedure in every forum community I've been a part of.

Also, threads that begin with "Hey mods," are typically better left to PM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”