Is it unlikely to work your way up in to BigLaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
reaisan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 am

Is it unlikely to work your way up in to BigLaw?

Postby reaisan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Hello,

There are so many aspects of law that interest me. State, pro-bono work for a non-profit, and BigLaw. Is it possible to pursue my PI out of law school for a few years and then work my way in to BigLaw-- or is it really "by 3L or bust?"

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Is it unlikely to work your way up in to BigLaw?

Postby 4for44 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:13 pm

reaisan wrote:Hello,

There are so many aspects of law that interest me. State, pro-bono work for a non-profit, and BigLaw. Is it possible to pursue my PI out of law school for a few years and then work my way in to BigLaw-- or is it really "by 3L or bust?"


From what I understand there is one on ramp(SA, maybe some 3L)... and Plenty of off ramps...

Unless you do a federal clerkship, then the on ramp comes later

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Is it unlikely to work your way up in to BigLaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:31 pm

reaisan wrote:Hello,

There are so many aspects of law that interest me. State, pro-bono work for a non-profit, and BigLaw. Is it possible to pursue my PI out of law school for a few years and then work my way in to BigLaw-- or is it really "by 3L or bust?"

Do big law then PI if you want. Or do big law and be very active on pro-bono committee. Once big law train passes 2L OCI, it's extremely difficult to catch. If you do a couple of years of PI it will be damn near impossible.

edit: didn't mean to be anon, sorry

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Is it unlikely to work your way up in to BigLaw?

Postby LurkerNoMore » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Four basic routes to BigLaw:

1. 2L Summer (and sometimes 3L hiring)
2. Prestigious Federal Gov't work (clerkship or a couple of years at DOJ, SEC)
3. Economy turns and BigLaw is understaffed and desperate for laterals (happened in late '90s)
4. Make a name for yourself so that you come in as an actual expert in an area of law the firm needs or as a rainmaker.

I'm guessing you can see the path of least resistance here.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Is it unlikely to work your way up in to BigLaw?

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:36 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:Four basic routes to BigLaw:

1. 2L Summer (and sometimes 3L hiring)
2. Prestigious Federal Gov't work (clerkship or a couple of years at DOJ, SEC)
3. Economy turns and BigLaw is understaffed and desperate for laterals (happened in late '90s)
4. Make a name for yourself so that you come in as an actual expert in an area of law the firm needs or as a rainmaker.

I'm guessing you can see the path of least resistance here.


What about:

5) starting your own BigLaw firm?

reaisan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 am

Re: Is it unlikely to work your way up in to BigLaw?

Postby reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
LurkerNoMore wrote:Four basic routes to BigLaw:

1. 2L Summer (and sometimes 3L hiring)
2. Prestigious Federal Gov't work (clerkship or a couple of years at DOJ, SEC)
3. Economy turns and BigLaw is understaffed and desperate for laterals (happened in late '90s)
4. Make a name for yourself so that you come in as an actual expert in an area of law the firm needs or as a rainmaker.

I'm guessing you can see the path of least resistance here.


What about:

5) starting your own BigLaw firm?

Ha! :D Start yours then hire me, please.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.