Illinois Job Prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Drewtheman84 wrote:Illinois is absolutely on par with the first group. Let's be real.


In quality of school/prestige? Absolutely. Job prospects ITE? Likely no.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Drewtheman84 wrote:Illinois is absolutely on par with the first group. Let's be real.


In quality of school/prestige? Absolutely. Job prospects ITE? Likely no.


WUSTL isn't either.

Though I'd imagine as Chicago as a market recovers it'll get better.

Rory1987
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Nowadays, does anyone know what median is getting at UIUC/UMN/ETC getting as opposed to say median at BU/GWU/ETC? And just out of curiosity, what did median use to get during the glory days? Any current BU, UIUC, UMN, WUSTL, BC students know of what their medianish friends (or themselves if they’re median) are looking at?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Illinois 2L here: Top 20%; wrote on to law review. I cannot find a paying 2L summer job.

I've had like 25 screening interviews and 3 callbacks after exhausting OCI/job fairs/networking events/a mass mail campaign that began in September. I've looked all over: Boston, Chicago, 'Downstate' Illinois, St. Louis, Texas, and New York. From my perspective, OCI was a blood bath this year; only about 40 employers came (including hard IP firms, which require a science/technical background). I would say that most biglaw firms interviewed about 19 people during their visit, and there are about 240 students in the 2012 class. All interviews are preselect, and the T10 would max out their interviews (about 20). If you were outside the T25 (~60 students), you probably did not even get a biglaw screening interview. A number of firms did not give anyone a callback, and I don't think any gave more than 2-3. All said, besides the outliers with personal connections, I'd say only the T10 is SA secure.

I only write to warn those who would be misled, like I feel I was, by Illinois' reported employment stats. But I'm not bitching because I think I should have figured things out given the information available.

Rory1987
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:49 pm

:shock: Damn. Where do you go from here then?

Anonymous User wrote:Illinois 2L here: Top 20%; wrote on to law review. I cannot find a paying 2L summer job.

I've had like 25 screening interviews and 3 callbacks after exhausting OCI/job fairs/networking events/a mass mail campaign that began in September. I've looked all over: Boston, Chicago, 'Downstate' Illinois, St. Louis, Texas, and New York. From my perspective, OCI was a blood bath this year; only about 40 employers came (including hard IP firms, which require a science/technical background). I would say that most biglaw firms interviewed about 19 people during their visit, and there are about 240 students in the 2012 class. All interviews are preselect, and the T10 would max out their interviews (about 20). If you were outside the T25 (~60 students), you probably did not even get a biglaw screening interview. A number of firms did not give anyone a callback, and I don't think any gave more than 2-3. All said, besides the outliers with personal connections, I'd say only the T10 is SA secure.

I only write to warn those who would be misled, like I feel I was, by Illinois' reported employment stats. But I'm not bitching because I think I should have figured things out given the information available.

User avatar
Ahhhnold
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Ahhhnold » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Illinois 2L here: Top 20%; wrote on to law review. I cannot find a paying 2L summer job.

I've had like 25 screening interviews and 3 callbacks after exhausting OCI/job fairs/networking events/a mass mail campaign that began in September. I've looked all over: Boston, Chicago, 'Downstate' Illinois, St. Louis, Texas, and New York. From my perspective, OCI was a blood bath this year; only about 40 employers came (including hard IP firms, which require a science/technical background). I would say that most biglaw firms interviewed about 19 people during their visit, and there are about 240 students in the 2012 class. All interviews are preselect, and the T10 would max out their interviews (about 20). If you were outside the T25 (~60 students), you probably did not even get a biglaw screening interview. A number of firms did not give anyone a callback, and I don't think any gave more than 2-3. All said, besides the outliers with personal connections, I'd say only the T10 is SA secure.

I only write to warn those who would be misled, like I feel I was, by Illinois' reported employment stats. But I'm not bitching because I think I should have figured things out given the information available.


How much did you mass mail?

Rory1987
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Now that we know what UIUC is like, can anyone give some insight into the BUs, BCs, NDs, UMNs, and GWUs of the world?

Also, just out of curiosity, what was UIUC like before ITE?

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby kams » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:29 pm

BU 2L, top 20% in the class, though not on LR. Although, I am bilingual and perhaps that helps a bit b/c that definitely came up in some interviews. I will definitely attest to the fact that things are worse than they were in the past. I have friends who graduated about 4 years ago, who said that as long as you were median at BU, you pretty much had your pick of firms.

That being said, I have a biglaw SA position lined up. I don't remember how many OCI employers we had, but I would guess it was about 80 unique (maybe another BU 2L could verify?). I think as long as you were top third, you got multiple biglaw screening interviews. However, I think if you were outside the top third, you barely got any screenings. There was a very noticeable cut-off point.

I think that all schools were hurt pretty badly. However, I think BU did pretty well compared to its peer schools (Fordham, ND, Wustl, Emory, etc.) I don't know how GW and BC did, but I'm assuming they kept it up too. I think it's b/c these markets generally fall back on NY, where most of the jobs are.

Drewtheman84
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Drewtheman84 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Ahhhnold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Illinois 2L here: Top 20%; wrote on to law review. I cannot find a paying 2L summer job.

I've had like 25 screening interviews and 3 callbacks after exhausting OCI/job fairs/networking events/a mass mail campaign that began in September. I've looked all over: Boston, Chicago, 'Downstate' Illinois, St. Louis, Texas, and New York. From my perspective, OCI was a blood bath this year; only about 40 employers came (including hard IP firms, which require a science/technical background). I would say that most biglaw firms interviewed about 19 people during their visit, and there are about 240 students in the 2012 class. All interviews are preselect, and the T10 would max out their interviews (about 20). If you were outside the T25 (~60 students), you probably did not even get a biglaw screening interview. A number of firms did not give anyone a callback, and I don't think any gave more than 2-3. All said, besides the outliers with personal connections, I'd say only the T10 is SA secure.

I only write to warn those who would be misled, like I feel I was, by Illinois' reported employment stats. But I'm not bitching because I think I should have figured things out given the information available.


.

The fact is that you should be very selective about your law school choice now. I know a person at UVA from Chicago that had trouble finding a big law job in Chicago because their OCI was low on Chicago firms. The point is that whether BU, WUSTL, GWU...the stats don't matter. If you want to be in Boston, go to BU or BC. DC? Chances are being at GWU is best. Chicago? Outside of UChi and NW, I would say Illinois is your best bet. NY or LA? chances are probably about the same at all of those schools (with or without connections)

If you don't know where you would like to end up geographically, it's probably time to figure it out if this is the range of schools you're looking at (I would argue really anywhere outside of HYSCCN, you should take a hard look at the market in which you want to end up)

Going to school and focusing on that many markets is not a great recruiting strategy. And in this economy, you're going to have to hustle at most schools no matter where you are in the class.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Drewtheman84 wrote:
.

The fact is that you should be very selective about your law school choice now. I know a person at UVA from Chicago that had trouble finding a big law job in Chicago because their OCI was low on Chicago firms. The point is that whether BU, WUSTL, GWU...the stats don't matter. If you want to be in Boston, go to BU or BC. DC? Chances are being at GWU is best. Chicago? Outside of UChi and NW, I would say Illinois is your best bet. NY or LA? chances are probably about the same at all of those schools (with or without connections)

If you don't know where you would like to end up geographically, it's probably time to figure it out if this is the range of schools you're looking at (I would argue really anywhere outside of HYSCCN, you should take a hard look at the market in which you want to end up)

Going to school and focusing on that many markets is not a great recruiting strategy. And in this economy, you're going to have to hustle at most schools no matter where you are in the class.


I find it hard to believe that Illinois is better for Chicago than Michigan, Virginia, or Penn. Firms hire much, much deeper into the classes at the latter schools than they do at the former (e.g. median at the latter schools might get you into a large law firm, whereas median at Illinois almost certainly won't). Also a school that focuses on many markets = more flexibility (i.e. so you might not get Chicago when it was your first pick, at least you have a legitimate shot at, e.g, NY as well, unlike if you're attending Illinois). In fact, I'll go as far as to say that, all things equal, you would have to be an idiot to go to a regional school for biglaw over a t13 school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Illinois Job Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Rory1987 wrote:Now that we know what UIUC is like, can anyone give some insight into the BUs, BCs, NDs, UMNs, and GWUs of the world?

Also, just out of curiosity, what was UIUC like before ITE?


GW transfer (from middling TT). IP background. Too many screeners to count, took about 10 CBs, and ended up with multiple biglaw offers.

Ive heard that IP/top 10-20%+LR did pretty well. Don't be fooled, however - it's still brutal out there.

I rolled the dice and got lucky. Really lucky. If anyone I knew was contemplating going to a TT (or even any school outside the T10) with the hopes of biglaw today, I would emphatically argue against it (unless a) they didn't want biglaw or b) they had a full-ride scholarship with no strings attached).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.