Things You Wish You Would Have Known Before OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Things You Wish You Would Have Known Before OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:54 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Yes. I found it unnerving.

Can't out the firm?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Can't out the firm?

I can but won't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Can't out the firm?

Two firms that have contacted people last year through just bidding:
Kasowitz Benson (to set up additional OCI screener)
Lowenstein Sandler (NJ) (straight to CB)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can't out the firm?

From Cornell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can't out the firm?

From Cornell?

Only one was from Cornell and that firm did the same thing for students at several other schools as well.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Other firms have done that at other schools as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 am

ilovesf wrote:Other firms have done that at other schools as well

I'm sure there are more. Those are just the only two I know of from last year.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:18 am

I know Gibson Dunn does that as well, though they weren't who I was referring to. And yes, Cornell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 pm

If possible, schedule a CB for a firm that you are not that interested in before one that you are interested in. It gives you the opportunity to practice your CB style with lower stakes so you can work the kinks out for your favored CB.

A caveat is to not to do this if it means scheduling your favored CBs late in the process, as some firms make offers on a rolling basis.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If possible, schedule a CB for a firm that you are not that interested in before one that you are interested in. It gives you the opportunity to practice your CB style with lower stakes so you can work the kinks out for your favored CB.

A caveat is to not to do this if it means scheduling your favored CBs late in the process, as some firms make offers on a rolling basis.

+1. I went 5/6 on call-backs, and only missed my first one (including an offer from several peers and one "higher" ranked firm). Obviously, I may just have been a bad fit, but I'm pretty confident that the interview didn't go that well - especially the first, with a partner - and that probably had a lot to do with it.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At our school, firms know if you bid on them or not.

at harvard, all firms you bid on get your resume, so they'd know if you bid on them or not. at georgetown i think your top 20 get your resume. i'm sure other schools operate similarly.

I'm convinced none of the firms look at those resumes. But yeah, they could check whether you bid on them or not, so better not lie.

Firms do look at them, which is strange considering that it does not have the GPA. But they definitely do, not even a question. Such firms are particularly willing to talk to you and set up things if you have regional ties. They do not know at what place you bid them. As a safety, even if you do not want to go back to your region, add them at the end of your bid list, so in case you need to mass mail, you tell them I bid you but did not get interview.
Recruiters have resumes of all the people that bid them.

fw8014

Postby fw8014 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If possible, schedule a CB for a firm that you are not that interested in before one that you are interested in. It gives you the opportunity to practice your CB style with lower stakes so you can work the kinks out for your favored CB.

+1. I went 5/6 on call-backs, and only missed my first one (including an offer from several peers and one "higher" ranked firm). Obviously, I may just have been a bad fit, but I'm pretty confident that the interview didn't go that well - especially the first, with a partner - and that probably had a lot to do with it.

+2 I thought I was a pro at interviewing since I've been on the other side so many times, but at my first CB, the hiring partner asked me zero questions and skipped straight to "so, do you have any questions for me?" It completely threw me off my game and I couldn't recover in time. This happened to me again, but I was prepared the next time and cinched the offer. Luckily, I was ambivalent about that first firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Just did my first interview on the other side of the table and talked to a partner who also interviewed this person.

1) Practice talking slower if you tend to talk fast, people view it as a sign of nervousness.
2) There's such a thing as too honest, always remember you're selling yourself and you need to make that firm feel like its your number one choice.
3) If you tend to have sweaty hands, keep something in your pocket to try to wipe to prevent other people from thinking you're nervous.
4) Going off on tangents is nice, but remember there's a form someone fills out (pretty predictable topics) so try to hit the basics (why x city, why firm, why practice group, hardworking, smart, personable, good to work with etc). Its an interview, not just a conversation, and the person you're with is probably not the person in the room come decision time, just the form.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Missed bidding on a firm at both PLIP and my school's OCI, how should I approach sending an app to them now? I shunned them twice blah blah I know my mistake, I'm looking to the future now. Should I mention that I failed to bid on them, but am now interested? Or act like all of that never happened? I figure they're going to figure it out either way, and at least in the long shot they're interested I could then make myself known at PLIP or OCI.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't go the "I failed to bid on you" route. Immediately shows lack of interest. Instead, opt for a "I am interested but unfortunately did not get an interview during OCI" route. Write a targeted cover letter expressing said interest and enthusiasm and hope for the best.

You might also say that that you submitted a bid, but the lottery system fucked you, and now you're taking the direct route by sending them your sume (this should work especially if it's true).

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:03 am

Not sure if this has been posted (and too lazy to look), but make sure the specific office/location you're interviewing for actually has the practice you express interest in. I was interested in copyright, TM, and entertainment, and I interviewed for several offices of firms known for those practices where there were only 1 or 2 partners that were actually involved.

On that note, avoid expressing too strong of an interest in any one practice area unless you know the firm is recruiting heavily for that practice.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

tagging this for this cycle. thanks to all posters.

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:57 pm

bump for later

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 pm

One thing I convinced myself of was that it would be a fun experience getting to meet new people and learn about their practice. It actually did turn out to be a fun experience and I think my pre-OCI brainwashing helped me do better.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm

I wish I would have known that every interview room was going to have snacks. I ate a big breakfast the morning of interviews and I had little room for donuts and bagels. I wish I would have eaten light so that I could have taken advantage of all the delicious breakfast foods and sandwiches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:26 am

Detrox wrote:The most important info is missing from this thread. Practice your knock 100x a day. You'll be sitting outside the door and boom, it's time to knock. Gotta get it just right, not too loud, not too soft. No more then 4, no less then 2. Always double and triple knock if they don't answer the door immediately, it will show what an eager worker you are. Knock even if the door is open and you're the first to be interviewed, it will intimidate the other people around you and should generate a nice "buzz" across the entire hotel about that mysterious 9:00 am knocker.

Protip: if your OCI isn't in a hotel, transfer. Jobs are only given out in private suites, generally where your chair will be a foot lower to the ground then your interviewer's.

Edit: Protip #2: The 100% job lockdown knock can be completely erased if you have a crappy folder for your prestigious documents. Shell out a few hundred bucks for a nice briefcase for each day of OCI, every $20 dollar spent more then your competitors (classmates) pushes you up .3 Vault rankings. In it, only bring your resume, it has everything they need to know about you. Your grades should obviously be memorized and recited upon the request of a transcript.

bump

yay

Postby yay » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:18 pm

I wish I had not listened to my career counselor. She discouraged me from bidding on large firms because my grades were not competitive (I was on the dot right at median). Ppl with comparable grades and even lower than mine got offers from V50 firms because they ignored her advice and bid and interviewed anyway. I struck out because I bid on much lower firms and it was also really competitive.

I hate her for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:36 am

QUESTION: So I've seen firms on SImplicity say ''identify which office your prefer on your resume.''

On my resume? Like, literally, on my resume, above my education section or something? ''Preferred Summer Location: New York City" .. is that how it works?

Someone help me?

barkschool

Postby barkschool » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:QUESTION: So I've seen firms on SImplicity say ''identify which office your prefer on your resume.''

On my resume? Like, literally, on my resume, above my education section or something? ''Preferred Summer Location: New York City" .. is that how it works?

Someone help me?

Lol. If it sounds stupid it is stupid

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Practice interviewing.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:QUESTION: So I've seen firms on SImplicity say ''identify which office your prefer on your resume.''

Someone help me?

Imo, I'd put it in your cover letter

Return to “Legal Employment”