Things You Wish You Would Have Known Before OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Things You Wish You Would Have Known Before OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Missed bidding on a firm at both PLIP and my school's OCI, how should I approach sending an app to them now? I shunned them twice blah blah I know my mistake, I'm looking to the future now. Should I mention that I failed to bid on them, but am now interested? Or act like all of that never happened? I figure they're going to figure it out either way, and at least in the long shot they're interested I could then make myself known at PLIP or OCI.

Any ideas?
I wouldn't go the "I failed to bid on you" route. Immediately shows lack of interest. Instead, opt for a "I am interested but unfortunately did not get an interview during OCI" route. Write a targeted cover letter expressing said interest and enthusiasm and hope for the best.
"Did not get an interview" seems to imply that I did bid on them...or is it better if they think they already rejected me rather than I rejected them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Missed bidding on a firm at both PLIP and my school's OCI, how should I approach sending an app to them now? I shunned them twice blah blah I know my mistake, I'm looking to the future now. Should I mention that I failed to bid on them, but am now interested? Or act like all of that never happened? I figure they're going to figure it out either way, and at least in the long shot they're interested I could then make myself known at PLIP or OCI.

Any ideas?
I wouldn't go the "I failed to bid on you" route. Immediately shows lack of interest. Instead, opt for a "I am interested but unfortunately did not get an interview during OCI" route. Write a targeted cover letter expressing said interest and enthusiasm and hope for the best.
"Did not get an interview" seems to imply that I did bid on them...or is it better if they think they already rejected me rather than I rejected them?
Depends on how your school does OCI. We have a 100% lottery and kids usually get around 50-60% of their bids. If you have a system where you aren't batting 1.00 (every firm you bid you get an interview), firms will know that kids can miss out on getting selected. Either way, don't say you didn't bid.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 pm

I have a writing sample question. Which would be better, a 1L summer opinion that I can say that I "substantially contributed to" or a LRW brief/memo?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any ideas?
Depends on how your school does OCI. We have a 100% lottery and kids usually get around 50-60% of their bids. If you have a system where you aren't batting 1.00 (every firm you bid you get an interview), firms will know that kids can miss out on getting selected. Either way, don't say you didn't bid.

I did approach it this way and the firm emailed me again EXPLICITLY asking "So did you bid on us or not?"
Can somebody please please help me out?
I don't know how I should respond. I think the firms know whether we bid on them or not....
Any ideas?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did approach it this way and the firm emailed me again EXPLICITLY asking "So did you bid on us or not?"
I don't know how I should respond. I think the firms know whether we bid on them or not....
Any ideas?
Ouch, that's tough.

Whether they know or not, your only move is to tell the truth. Fluff it up and give a reason why you're interested now, but you can't lie about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 am

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did approach it this way and the firm emailed me again EXPLICITLY asking "So did you bid on us or not?"
Any ideas?
Ouch, that's tough.

Whether they know or not, your only move is to tell the truth. Fluff it up and give a reason why you're interested now, but you can't lie about it.

I agree. But I cannot think of any reason, why someone might have been unable to bid on the firm, when that person had been wanting to work for that firm....
Any possible reasons?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Any ideas?
Ouch, that's tough.

I agree. But I cannot think of any reason, why someone might have been unable to bid on the firm, when that person had been wanting to work for that firm....
Any possible reasons?
I know I didn't bid on some firms I would have liked to work for because they were in markets that I had no ties to, so I didn't think I had a shot.

If it's a firm anywhere other than NY, this could work for you.

Edit: You can also just say you learned X and Y about the firm after you bid, and if you knew X and Y you would have bid. It sounds like this is actually what happened to you, anyways.
Last edited by PennBull on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 am

At our school, firms know if you bid on them or not.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:At our school, firms know if you bid on them or not.
What school? You're anonymous...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Any ideas?
Ouch, that's tough.

Any possible reasons?
I didn't bid on a few firms because I had contacts with recruiting outside of OCI. I was not asked, and I am getting interviews from them. I don't know your circumstances, but it's a reasonable move to not bid on a firm when you are seriously/legitimately being considered outside of OCI, because there is no guarantee that you will get your bids.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 am

PennBull wrote: Edit: You can also just say you learned X and Y about the firm after you bid, and if you knew X and Y you would have bid. It sounds like this is actually what happened to you, anyways.
^this. Told a firm I didn't like 'em much until I met one of their SA's who loved their job, made me take a second look, noticed X and Y, liked 'em, applied. Got a callback.

Edit: I haven't gone wrong yet shooting straight, what I like what I don't what my questions actually are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:54 am

LawIdiot86 wrote: Two friends at my T14, top third and top 10%, neither got offers and both bid wisely on regions and firms they would match well with. The ten percent-er said he had interviewers come out and tell him they loved him, but they couldn't call back someone if the "journal" box wasn't checked.
I call troll.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote: Two friends at my T14, top third and top 10%, neither got offers and both bid wisely on regions and firms they would match well with. The ten percent-er said he had interviewers come out and tell him they loved him, but they couldn't call back someone if the "journal" box wasn't checked.
I call troll.
Seconded.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 pm

What do you do when you get an interview with a firm that is ridiculously out of your grade range? I bid on it for shits and giggles. I figured what is the worst that could happen? Well, now I have an interview, and I'm wondering if it is because not enough people bidded on that firm's office (D.C.) from my school. Is there any point in going, or did somebody maybe read my writing sample and really like it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you do when you get an interview with a firm that is ridiculously out of your grade range? I bid on it for shits and giggles. I figured what is the worst that could happen? Well, now I have an interview, and I'm wondering if it is because not enough people bidded on that firm's office (D.C.) from my school. Is there any point in going, or did somebody maybe read my writing sample and really like it?

Was this from lottery assignment or direct reach out?

edit) Oh I see "bidding" - I guess then it is likely to be a waste of time, unless your grade is not THAT out of gpa range... I dont know how far out of the range you mean by "ridiculously out," so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 pm

You had to be selected once you bid. I had not been invited for interviews at the previous six or so firms that sent out invites.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:38 pm

at harvard, all firms you bid on get your resume, so they'd know if you bid on them or not. at georgetown i think your top 20 get your resume. i'm sure other schools operate similarly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 pm

fatduck wrote:
at harvard, all firms you bid on get your resume, so they'd know if you bid on them or not. at georgetown i think your top 20 get your resume. i'm sure other schools operate similarly.
I'm convinced none of the firms look at those resumes. But yeah, they could check whether you bid on them or not, so better not lie.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
fatduck wrote:
I'm convinced none of the firms look at those resumes. But yeah, they could check whether you bid on them or not, so better not lie.
Some firms definitely directly contact people who bid them.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
fatduck wrote:
This is true at Georgetown, I know people from previous years who were contacted through this process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
fatduck wrote:
At Cornell?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 am

Question about transcripts: should it list the classes we're taking this fall? I guess that's a way to show interest in something. Does it matter if our schedules aren't set yet?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
At Cornell?
Yes. Not me though :-/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
At Cornell?
Anyone this cycle?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
At Cornell?
Anyone this cycle?
Yes. I found it unnerving.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”