Things You Wish You Would Have Known Before OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennBull

Re: Things You Wish You Would Have Known Before OCI

Postby PennBull » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Lincoln wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Can I get somebody to cosign this or refute it?

I think 20 is on the smaller side.

This. Firms based elsewhere with small-ish NYC offices will take in 10-20 summers. The largest NYC firms took up to 125 this summer.

So, at what point would you consider a summer class "large"? "Medium"? "Above average"?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:32 pm

20 is small for NYC and large for anywhere else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:36 pm

There are probably 15 firms that are taking 50-150 and theyre all v20s. A handful of v50s with 40-50 and maybe a dozen in the 20-30 range.

Large, medium, small is all relative. As a median student at t14, all the 50+ SA firms are not very realistic so large to me are the 30-40 SA firms.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Lincoln wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Can I get somebody to cosign this or refute it?

I think 20 is on the smaller side.

This. Firms based elsewhere with small-ish NYC offices will take in 10-20 summers. The largest NYC firms took up to 125 this summer.

To be fair, my research was based on a bunch of major NYC firms (maybe 50-60ish) and it seemed that roughly half had estimated 2013 classes of fewer than 25. Might not be the best sample size. Scroll backwards on Vault from the top and check NALP and do the math. There are obvious classes that are much larger but this is the general feel I got searching NALP.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are probably 15 firms that are taking 50-150 and theyre all v20s. A handful of v50s with 40-50 and maybe a dozen in the 20-30 range.

Large, medium, small is all relative. As a median student at t14, all the 50+ SA firms are not very realistic so large to me are the 30-40 SA firms.

This is credited.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are probably 15 firms that are taking 50-150 and theyre all v20s. A handful of v50s with 40-50 and maybe a dozen in the 20-30 range.

V20 is realistic for median at some T14 and not quite others, and for some students and not others. so I suppose this is really relative to who is asking the question. I think Pennbull's large should be V20 large.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:55 pm

I don't really know anything about NYC firms but I'm going to mass mail them - which big ones will be a waste of time based on my stats (15% uch, LR) or should I just do every single one?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:I don't really know anything about NYC firms but I'm going to mass mail them - which big ones will be a waste of time based on my stats (15% uch, LR) or should I just do every single one?

ITE - Don't leave any money on the table.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I don't really know anything about NYC firms but I'm going to mass mail them - which big ones will be a waste of time based on my stats (15% uch, LR) or should I just do every single one?

I figured. I'm just lazy and was hoping I could cut some out.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:11 pm

ilovesf wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

I'd say axe V10-15 because of selectivity but again, I'm pro-applying everywhere. This obviously changes depending on your background (URM, IP, etc) but NYC is a great place to sprinkle apps everywhere. Not sure UCH's placement power in the City. Might want to do that research.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

I'd say axe V10-15 because of selectivity but again, I'm pro-applying everywhere. This obviously changes depending on your background (URM, IP, etc) but NYC is a great place to sprinkle apps everywhere. Not sure UCH's placement power in the City. Might want to do that research.

I don't think there are many placement stats because most people don't apply to NYC, most people want CA. I'm totally vanilla and boring so no exciting background. I'll just start applying everywhere I can tonight.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:17 pm

ilovesf wrote: I don't think there are many placement stats because most people don't apply to NYC, most people want CA. I'm totally vanilla and boring so no exciting background. I'll just start applying everywhere I can tonight.

Yep. Mass mail CA first though if you havent, but this is the right move. Hustle. And shout out to CA - my home state.

If you want to know specifics about certain firms or questions about the NYC market in general, shoot me a PM. I've done a good amount of NYC research and have friends at a bunch of firms I can put you in contact with if need be. Good luck.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:38 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

I don't know much about how Chicago does at NYC firms, but why would any firm be out of range for someone on LR in the top 15 percent?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:46 pm

FlanSolo wrote:I don't know much about how Chicago does at NYC firms, but why would any firm be out of range for someone on LR in the top 15 percent?

My thoughts- because my school isn't that good and it is a west coast school so it doesn't have name recognition in NYC

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 pm

ilovesf wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:I don't know much about how Chicago does at NYC firms, but why would any firm be out of range for someone on LR in the top 15 percent?

My thoughts- because my school isn't that good and it is a west coast school so it doesn't have name recognition in NYC

Ooops - I read that as UCHi not UC Hastings. My bad.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:49 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Ooops - I read that as UCHi not UC Hastings. My bad.

I wish

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 am

i've talked to a couple of former recruiters, and they said that an ideal interview is where you get the interviewer to talk 80% of the time and you talk 20% of the time. i.e. keep asking questions about the interviewer's practice, current projects, etc. any truth to this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:i've talked to a couple of former recruiters, and they said that an ideal interview is where you get the interviewer to talk 80% of the time and you talk 20% of the time. i.e. keep asking questions about the interviewer's practice, current projects, etc. any truth to this?

+1

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i've talked to a couple of former recruiters, and they said that an ideal interview is where you get the interviewer to talk 80% of the time and you talk 20% of the time. i.e. keep asking questions about the interviewer's practice, current projects, etc. any truth to this?

+1

sweet use of the anon feature to +1 something

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 am

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

sweet use of the anon feature to +1 something

+1

Nightrunner

Postby Nightrunner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 am

Look: I don't want to go banning people for cracking jokes or hitting the wrong button, and you don't want to be arguing all damn day about things that aren't this (actually useful) topic. So everyone just settle down, hit the anon button only when you need to, and stop arguing/reporting posts about shit that doesn't matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:57 am

Nightrunner wrote:Look: I don't want to go banning people for cracking jokes or hitting the wrong button, and you don't want to be arguing all damn day about things that aren't this (actually useful) topic. So everyone just settle down, hit the anon button only when you need to, and stop arguing/reporting posts about shit that doesn't matter.

+1

Nightrunner

Postby Nightrunner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Look: I don't want to go banning people for cracking jokes or hitting the wrong button, and you don't want to be arguing all damn day about things that aren't this (actually useful) topic. So everyone just settle down, hit the anon button only when you need to, and stop arguing/reporting posts about shit that doesn't matter.

+1

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, knock it the fuck off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 am

Missed bidding on a firm at both PLIP and my school's OCI, how should I approach sending an app to them now? I shunned them twice blah blah I know my mistake, I'm looking to the future now. Should I mention that I failed to bid on them, but am now interested? Or act like all of that never happened? I figure they're going to figure it out either way, and at least in the long shot they're interested I could then make myself known at PLIP or OCI.

Any ideas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Missed bidding on a firm at both PLIP and my school's OCI, how should I approach sending an app to them now? I shunned them twice blah blah I know my mistake, I'm looking to the future now. Should I mention that I failed to bid on them, but am now interested? Or act like all of that never happened? I figure they're going to figure it out either way, and at least in the long shot they're interested I could then make myself known at PLIP or OCI.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't go the "I failed to bid on you" route. Immediately shows lack of interest. Instead, opt for a "I am interested but unfortunately did not get an interview during OCI" route. Write a targeted cover letter expressing said interest and enthusiasm and hope for the best.

Return to “Legal Employment”