Clerkship from Foreign School?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship from Foreign School?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 pm

I know there was a kerfuffle about non-US citizens clerking in the states, but I was wondering about whether it was possible as a US citizen attending a foreign law school. I've done quite well and will be summering at a V5 next year, but have no idea whether my education will have disqualified me for a US clerkship. In particular, I'm wondering about a district court.

Re: Clerkship from Foreign School?

Postby Crim » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:28 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:I don't see why a foreign school would be disqualifying, as long as it was in a country that has similar legal traditions, etc. My judge would never hire from a foreign school, but I assume there are others that might. If you really wanted to address the issue, a US LLM would probably do the trick--although it'd be really strange to get a LLM just to clerk. The fact that you're heading to a V5 (U.S. office?) will help, of course; all the moreso if you are planning on working in lit. If transactional, then I can imagine more of a problem.

OP here (couldn't find my password earlier). Thanks for the response. I'm coming in from Canada and will be working in New York. The obvious answer to my question is to apply and find out, but the only problem is that the clerkship process north of the border goes on in Jan-Feb of 2L, and I don't want to give up on a great opportunity here if I have zero chance of getting one in the states. But obviously, as I plan on practicing in the states (in lit), a US clerkship would be far more useful.

Have you ever even heard of a clerk at a federal court from a non-US school? I'm not sure whether it's just because no judge would hire someone in my situation, or no prospective applicant ever tries.

Return to “Legal Employment”