Craigslist?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jasonc.

Craigslist?

Postby jasonc. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Do people actually find good positions on there?

2LLLL

Re: Craigslist?

Postby 2LLLL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:17 am

no

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:18 am

Of course. All the top firms advertise job openings on Craigslist. Top government jobs, too.

jasonc.

Postby jasonc. » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:22 am

Adjudicator wrote:Of course. All the top firms advertise job openings on Craigslist. Top government jobs, too.

no need for sarcasm . If you thought this was a dumb question you could have just not answered.
Anywhoo was just wondering how desperate people can actually get.

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:31 am

Craigslist seem to be insanely competitive for some reason I can't quite grasp. Last year I applied to a fairly large number of the free-$10 /hr positions (and some that paid more) in the market I want and couldn't get a single response. I would even email them asking them for updates and I could never get a single response. Also, when I would email the "employer" before giving them my resume or anything just asking for more information I still couldn't get a single response from craigslist ads (this was true even when I asked for really basic information such what areas of law they practice in). I want to say that they are all fake ads, but my understanding is that you have to pay to list on craigslist for job listings. So if that's true, I don't really understand it.

FWIW, I transferred to a from a t3 to a t14, am around top 10% at my new school, and have a list of awards, etc (the only big thing I don't have is a journal on my resume). v10 firms were actually easier to get interviews with as a 3L than craigslist positions. Even article III judges and federal government employers were easier to get interviews with than craigslist employers. Again, this leads me to believe ALL the ads on craigslist for entry level/"law clerk" employment in the market I want are fake, but it doesn't make sense if you have to pay to post job listings on there (because there are typically a fair number of entry level/"law clerk" postings on there).

jasonc.

Postby jasonc. » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 am

Hmm maybe your just over qualified. I agree I don't think they are scams because they wouldn't just ignore responses from a prospective victim

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:01 am

t14underground wrote:Craigslist seem to be insanely competitive for some reason I can't quite grasp. Last year I applied to a fairly large number of the free-$10 /hr positions (and some that paid more) in the market I want and couldn't get a single response. I would even email them asking them for updates and I could never get a single response. Also, when I would email the "employer" before giving them my resume or anything just asking for more information I still couldn't get a single response from craigslist ads (this was true even when I asked for really basic information such what areas of law they practice in). I want to say that they are all fake ads, but my understanding is that you have to pay to list on craigslist for job listings. So if that's true, I don't really understand it.

FWIW, I transferred to a from a t3 to a t14, am around top 10% at my new school, and have a list of awards, etc (the only big thing I don't have is a journal on my resume). v10 firms were actually easier to get interviews with as a 3L than craigslist positions. Even article III judges and federal government employers were easier to get interviews with than craigslist employers. Again, this leads me to believe ALL the ads on craigslist for entry level/"law clerk" employment in the market I want are fake, but it doesn't make sense if you have to pay to post job listings on there (because there are typically a fair number of entry level/"law clerk" postings on there).

I do not mean this as a mean question, I really am just curious. With those numbers, why are you applying to Craigslist 10/hr job postings? I would think, even as a transfer, being top 10% at your new school could land you something more than a Craigslist job. Once again, I am just curious, I am not saying this to ridicule or embarrass you.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:59 am

The only lawyer jobs I've seen on craigslist pay $20/hr or less.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 pm

I know of only one person who found employment on Craigslist. $50k a year, but he lasted only about three months.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
t14underground wrote:Craigslist seem to be insanely competitive for some reason I can't quite grasp. Last year I applied to a fairly large number of the free-$10 /hr positions (and some that paid more) in the market I want and couldn't get a single response. I would even email them asking them for updates and I could never get a single response. Also, when I would email the "employer" before giving them my resume or anything just asking for more information I still couldn't get a single response from craigslist ads (this was true even when I asked for really basic information such what areas of law they practice in). I want to say that they are all fake ads, but my understanding is that you have to pay to list on craigslist for job listings. So if that's true, I don't really understand it.

I do not mean this as a mean question, I really am just curious. With those numbers, why are you applying to Craigslist 10/hr job postings? I would think, even as a transfer, being top 10% at your new school could land you something more than a Craigslist job. Once again, I am just curious, I am not saying this to ridicule or embarrass you.

Probably b/c he struck out at 2l OCI. If you strike out there, it becomes much harder to find a gig.

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Probably b/c he struck out at 2l OCI. If you strike out there, it becomes much harder to find a gig.

Yup. ITE, really difficult to find basically anything really (at least after 2L OCI).

Return to “Legal Employment”