How soon after 2L summer will someone know

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tree

How soon after 2L summer will someone know

Postby Tree » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:10 pm

How quickly do firms usually tell their 2L summers whether it will work out? Is it something that happens in the fall afterward, or much later?

vanwinkle

Re: How soon after 2L summer will someone know

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:12 pm

This past summer it seemed like summer associates were told during their last week on the job. At least that's what I gathered from reading about offers.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:14 pm

How quickly do firms usually tell their 2L summers whether it will work out? Is it something that happens in the fall afterward, or much later?

My year (2009 summer), a lot of people waited quite a while. I don't think I found out until almost October. There was a lot of uncertainty then.

Most firms are on a bit shorter time table now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Varies from firm to firm. The pattern I noticed is that if the firm had good news, they'd give it on the last day (or last review). But if the firm had plans to no offer a substantial number, they'd wait until after everyone has left and conduct a thorough review in order to determine who get the axe.

Don't let ATL sway you. News about very public 100% offers from big firms has distorted reality. There were many, many firms who no offered many of their summer associates this year.

Return to “Legal Employment”