"Coolest" Boston Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Coolest" Boston Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:21 pm

I thought the folks at Hinckley, Brown Rudnick, and a couple of the senior people at Nixon were cool. I've also heard that the people at Wilmer were cool.

Anybody else have input?

Anonymous User

Re: "Coolest" Boston Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought the folks at Hinckley, Brown Rudnick, and a couple of the senior people at Nixon were cool. I've also heard that the people at Wilmer were cool.

Anybody else have input?

That's interesting, I thought that the people at Hinckley pretty much sucked (though the receptionist was pretty nice). I only liked the junior people at Nixon. Of the places I had callbacks, I would rank them:

1. Mintz Levin
2. Choate
3. Nixon Peabody
4. S&W
5. Hinckley

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought the folks at Hinckley, Brown Rudnick, and a couple of the senior people at Nixon were cool. I've also heard that the people at Wilmer were cool.

Anybody else have input?

That's interesting, I thought that the people at Hinckley pretty much sucked (though the receptionist was pretty nice). I only liked the junior people at Nixon. Of the places I had callbacks, I would rank them:

1. Mintz Levin
2. Choate
3. Nixon Peabody
4. S&W
5. Hinckley

I liked the Mintz people too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:52 pm

All depends on who you meet/see while you're there. I personally loved Wilmer (although know at least 1 person that flat-out hated it during his CB, but he didn't get an offer, so who knows), Weil was great (a little stuffy), liked Choate (but it was a more mixed-bag), didn't really click with K&L, Bingham or Skadden. I didn't get any Ropes love, but I hear they're the Boston party/frat firm, which is awesome if you're into that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All depends on who you meet/see while you're there. I personally loved Wilmer (although know at least 1 person that flat-out hated it during his CB, but he didn't get an offer, so who knows), Weil was great (a little stuffy), liked Choate (but it was a more mixed-bag), didn't really click with K&L, Bingham or Skadden. I didn't get any Ropes love, but I hear they're the Boston party/frat firm, which is awesome if you're into that.

I think that's true. I know people love Choate but I didn't click there. I personally clicked with the people at K&L, Brown, Hinckley, and Mintz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:11 pm

I liked really liked people from Nixon, BR and Wilmer. I thought Mintz was stuffier than Nixon and BR, and Wilmer was a little stuffier than Nixon and BR (but less so than Mintz). Ropes, DLA, Skadden, K&L, S&W, Choate all seemed pretty stuffy to me. I especially did not like K&L.

I've heard great things about Nutter but no interaction with them personally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Because I am interested, I will add some detail to my previous post:

Anonymous User wrote:1. Mintz Levin - I liked every single person there (including the recruiting director who seemed very cool). People seemed down to earth, like they liked working there, etc.
2. Choate - Almost the same as above. A couple of interviewers asked a few more of those behavioral questions, and pushed me on my answers, but I can't really blame them for trying to find the right fit. On the whole, they really made an effort to set me up with interviewers who shared some of my interests and background.
3. Nixon Peabody - As I said before, liked the junior people (although they tended to be mid-level to senior associates. All were very personable and normal.
4. S&W - A more partner-heavy interview process. On the whole, very positive, and I DID like everybody. Especially liked the jr. and mid-level associate I had lunch with. Could see myself working with those guys easily.
5. Hinckley - Liked the hiring attorney, other than that . . . not so much. People did not really seem that happy there, seemed not to like the senior partners, and seemed to have a bit of an inferiority complex (could be just my reading, just the particular interviewers I had, or it could have been a bad day). In any case, I left feeling that if they were the only Boston offer I had, I would consider another market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:39 pm

My 2 cents on Hinckley - if it were based on personalities alone, I might have accepted at Hinckley. I loved the hiring partner and my interviewers, and when I went back for another visit, I met more awesome people whom I really got along with. I felt like everyone was laid back and down to earth, very real and friendly, and genuinely happy with their work and workplace. People joked around and laughed with each other and stopped in each other's offices to talk. It honestly seemed like an awesome place to work, and multiple interviewers telling me that the office usually clears out around 6:30pm didn't hurt either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:44 pm

That's good. Obviously my experience with Hinckley was not the same as everybody else's. I can say that I honestly did not like it. I did have 1 associate mention the 6:30 thing, though.

Just out of curiosity, did most of you find that you got offers at the places where you thought you "clicked" with the people, or not? My experience was a bit mixed in that regard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:25 am

I didn't always get callbacks from people I clicked with...but for offers I could read it much more easily. Maybe it was just coincidence though, because I withdrew from some firms after I got an offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:38 pm

By far Skadden in Boston is the coolest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Ew. The Skadden guy who came for OCI at my school was a real douche (it was unanimous among the students at my school), callback people weren't much better.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:02 pm

BCG :wink:

Return to “Legal Employment”