Any "Must-Take" Courses Before 2L SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Any "Must-Take" Courses Before 2L SA?

Postby Renzo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:It seems to me that you don't really need to take a class to know how IPOs work, the general idea of what fiduciary duty is, or the basic difference between different ownership structures (partnership, LLC, c-corp, etc). That's something a lot of people pick up, especially if they've worked in business before.

I guess what I'm asking is if you really have to know the law you learn in Corps, or if it's fine if you have a general knowledge of the key concepts from previous experience.

If you have a genuine business background it's probably not as important. But if you happen to be a LAC grad who doesn't know an LBO from an IPO, and doesn't understand what a derivative suit is, it seems like you'd be asking a lot of really embarrassing questions as a SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Well, there went my plan to never take corporations/tax/evidence/securities regulation/bankruptcy/antitrust/corp finance/fed courts/admin/transactions...

Postby ben2587 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:33 am

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:35 am

Litigation: Evidence
Corporate: Corporations, Securities Regulation
Restructuring: Secured Transactions, Bankruptcy

You'll be fine without these, but those are the obvious answers.

Return to “Legal Employment”