Should I be worried accepting an offer at this firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Should I be worried accepting an offer at this firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:3 years ago they offered all their SA back.
2 years ago they offered none of the SA back.
last year they offered 50%

Is this generally par for the course?

Ask them about it. My firm no-offered 50% last year (3 out of 6). We're in a small tertiary market, and they brought it up in my screening interview. Said they hated to do it, but they hadn't been sure when hiring summers how the economy was going to affect the small city (they hadn't had to do any no offers the two years before). Screening interviewer basically said "we effed up, and it was awful and we felt awful."

Then went on to say that they were only taking 3 summers this year to make sure it didn't happen again. It may be your firm is doing something like this - you won't know unless you ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:59 am

I accepted at a 50% offer-rate firm (mid-size, market paying in a secondary market).

I was told during the Callback that generally there are enough seats for all SA's (meaning, financially, the firm can afford to offer all 2 or 3 SA's positions) but historically there is only 50% because 1) the SA did poor work, or 2) the SA did not fit the culture at the firm.

Basically, I was told that as long as your work is up to par, and you like us and we like you as a person, you should be offered. I sure hope they are honest.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:14 am

and you like us and we like you as a person

Well, that's the problem. You can work hard, but you can't change your personality. No way of really knowing if you will "fit".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:19 am

nealric wrote:
and you like us and we like you as a person

Well, that's the problem. You can work hard, but you can't change your personality. No way of really knowing if you will "fit".

I think generally by "fit" they mean just don't be a prick. As long as you are normal and respectful you should be okay.

Return to “Legal Employment”