Why law school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Why law school?

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:37 am

I'm serious... at least 40-50% of interviewers ask this. And perhaps I'm wrong, but I feel like people really only want to know that (1) you actually want to work in law, (2) don't have an unrealistic idea of what it is, and (3) didn't very obviously just stumble into it as a backup plan or because you didn't know what to do.

Of course, 1, 2, and 3 could all still apply to you, but that doesn't really matter. My question is how do you answer the question of why law school? To help facilitate discussion and general ideas, perhaps just give me examples of really good and effective answers, or poor answers (and why they are bad).

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:49 am

I don't know if this was a good/effective response but it is how I responded to it in interviews. FWIW I ended up with a SA job.

1) Parent is a lawyer, always been around it
2) Took a business law course in UG and really enjoyed it / sought out prof in office hours for the first time
3) Did an internship that required a lot of physical labor and realized I want to be challenged mentally by my job, not physically
4) Really liked my 1L courses and 1L summer work

I just went through all 4 in that order and tried to be enthusiastic about it.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:44 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I'm serious... at least 40-50% of interviewers ask this. And perhaps I'm wrong, but I feel like people really only want to know that (1) you actually want to work in law, (2) don't have an unrealistic idea of what it is, and (3) didn't very obviously just stumble into it as a backup plan or because you didn't know what to do.

Of course, 1, 2, and 3 could all still apply to you, but that doesn't really matter. My question is how do you answer the question of why law school? To help facilitate discussion and general ideas, perhaps just give me examples of really good and effective answers, or poor answers (and why they are bad).

Bad: I want to help people.

Better: I have a strong interest in international law.

Best:
Image

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Bad: I want to help people.

Better: I have a strong interest in international law.

Best:
Image


Umm... yeah, thanks...

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby dood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:43 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:48 pm

JPU wrote:I don't know if this was a good/effective response but it is how I responded to it in interviews. FWIW I ended up with a SA job.

1) Parent is a lawyer, always been around it
2) Took a business law course in UG and really enjoyed it / sought out prof in office hours for the first time
3) Did an internship that required a lot of physical labor and realized I want to be challenged mentally by my job, not physically
4) Really liked my 1L courses and 1L summer work

I just went through all 4 in that order and tried to be enthusiastic about it.


This is what I am going for in terms of talking with people about my interest in law, but people seems to shrug their heads as if that is not enough. I am kind of trying to develop my answer a bit more.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:58 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
This is what I am going for in terms of talking with people about my interest in law, but people seems to shrug their heads as if that is not enough. I am kind of trying to develop my answer a bit more.


Individually I don't think that my points are all that strong but when given together as a whole story about my life they gain some more traction. I am sure there are more compelling reason but I came straight through undergrad and have 0 interest in public interest so it is tough to really make a compelling reason to pursue corporate law without sounding like I am chasing cash.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Noval » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Keep in mind that roughly 65% of Law Students are in Law not because they love it, but because they suck at Maths, so no Business School and they were too retarded to do Science so they ended up in some Political Science program getting good grades like nothing and eventually applied to Law School because they think it's their only way out to wealth, which is just a myth.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Noval wrote:Keep in mind that roughly 65% of Law Students are in Law not because they love it, but because they suck at Maths, no so Business and they were too retarded to do Science so they ended up in some Political Science program getting good grades like nothing and eventually applied to Law School because they think it's their only way out to wealth, which is just a myth.


Ruh oh! I'm curious to see what other people have as answer for Why Law School and Why Law.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:00 pm

I say, "because I think I'll be good at it."

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Noval wrote:Keep in mind that roughly 65% of Law Students are in Law not because they love it, but because they suck at Maths, so no Business School and they were too retarded to do Science so they ended up in some Political Science program getting good grades like nothing and eventually applied to Law School because they think it's their only way out to wealth, which is just a myth.

65% YOU SAY?

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:18 pm

1. I don't understand the current mismatch between market need and labor supply.

OR

2. I really enjoy research and writing, analytical thinking and client service.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Noval » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Noval wrote:Keep in mind that roughly 65% of Law Students are in Law not because they love it, but because they suck at Maths, so no Business School and they were too retarded to do Science so they ended up in some Political Science program getting good grades like nothing and eventually applied to Law School because they think it's their only way out to wealth, which is just a myth.

65% YOU SAY?


I think i was too gentle... i'd say 85% :roll:

frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby frost » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:28 pm

I actually only got asked "why law school" by ONE interviewer out of about 50 interviewers between OCI and cbs. I'm curious if this question is asked more to those that have gone straight from college or don't have much WE in the legal field. On the other hand, 100% of my interviewers asked me why law firm, but I expected it since I have a lot of public interest experience.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby seespotrun » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:13 pm

My go-to response:

"Well, I really enjoyed my experience in commercial banking. I met a lot of interesting people and acquired a broad understanding of the way a large financial institution works. However, if I had gone that route, I would have lived my life project to project, quarter to quarter; all recurring annually. I found that I needed something more dynamic in order to be truly happy with my career. New challenges in new cases, or deals.....[blablabla]."

Jessep
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby Jessep » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 pm


User avatar
Ahhhnold
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Ahhhnold » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Jessep wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE&feature=player_embedded

Take notes


Another good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjhHuMK ... re=related

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Why law school?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:07 pm

That first video is absolutely priceless. Do you have a time machine so you can go back and graduate with those guys?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:Why law school?


Because I feel like I didn't incur enough non-dischargeable debt in undergrad.

linquest
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby linquest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 am

frost wrote:I actually only got asked "why law school" by ONE interviewer out of about 50 interviewers between OCI and cbs. I'm curious if this question is asked more to those that have gone straight from college or don't have much WE in the legal field.


I think you hit the nail on the head. If someone's being asked this question a lot in interviews, it's probably because the resume doesn't clearly show how that person's experiences lead to an interest in developing legal skills or practicing in a particular type of law or organization.

I've only been asked that question in a job interview once, and that was for a permanent job in a niche legal field that's directly related to my pre-LS work. The interviewer asked why I gave up my old career when I was successful at it and it tends to be more lucrative than most non-Big Law jobs. I explained that I went to law school because, among other reasons, my experience as a former corporate client lead me to wanting to counsel others and that I wanted a broader scope of influence than representing just one organization. And yes...I got that job!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:49 am

dood wrote:WE is pretty legit for answer this. "i loved my old jorb, but after 2 years i just wasnt challenged anymore"

I used something like "at my old job my career ladder could only take me so high, and half the people at the top of the company were lawyers, so if lawyers run everything then that's what I want to be."

V5 SECURE.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.