COL compared to QOL in various cities

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: COL compared to QOL in various cities

Postby 20160810 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:26 pm

wiseowl wrote:Sorry, "high" QOL in cowtown Sacto and "low" QOL in the entire South and Midwest does not compute.

Sac isn't a huge city, but there are 1.5M people in the metro area, so there's plenty of shit to do and it's surprisingly livable for the cost.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:28 pm

RVP11 wrote:Low COL, decent QOL = Texas

Austin QOL >>>>>>>>>>>> Dallas/Houston QOL

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 pm

wiseowl wrote:Sorry, "high" QOL in cowtown Sacto and "low" QOL in the entire South and Midwest does not compute.

"Cowtown" in the West >>> best places in the South/Midwest

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:35 pm

RVP11 wrote:

Sorry, just no.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 pm

wiseowl wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Sorry, just no.

Sorry, but yes.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:07 am

RVP11 wrote:High COL, high QOL = SF/Bay/LA
Slightly high COL, extremely high QOL = San Diego, Portland, Seattle
Average COL, high QOL = Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake, Sacramento
Low COL, decent QOL = Texas
High COL, decent QOL = The Northeast
Low COL, low QOL = The South, The Midwest

/thread

Sorry, but NYC QoL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SF/Bay/LA QoL. Try going out drinking at 2AM in LA and good luck finding a subway that runs at that hour, or a cab you can catch at 3 seconds' notice.

And lol at any place in California having a high QoL. The state of California epitomizes high CoL and low QoL, not to mention fiscal irresponsibility and just a horribly run state (have you seen their schools lately?). I spend most of my time indoors anyway, who cares about the 3 extra days of sun a year?

IMO the midwest has the best QoL, then the Northeast, then the Southeast, then the West besides California, then Hawaii/Alaska, then Mexico, then California. Canada ranks somewhere between the Northeast and Southeast. I define QoL as the kind of life you can get relative to CoL. Sure LA has great QoL, if you're Angelina Jolie.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:10 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:

/thread

Sorry, but NYC QoL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SF/Bay/LA QoL. Try going out drinking at 2AM in LA and good luck finding a subway that runs at that hour, or a cab you can catch at 3 seconds' notice.

And lol at any place in California having a high QoL. The state of California epitomizes high CoL and low QoL, not to mention fiscal irresponsibility and just a horribly run state (have you seen their schools lately?). I spend most of my time indoors anyway, who cares about the 3 extra days of sun a year?

IMO the midwest has the best QoL, then the Northeast, then the Southeast, then the West besides California, then Hawaii/Alaska, then Mexico, then California. Canada ranks somewhere between the Northeast and Southeast. I define QoL as the kind of life you can get relative to CoL. Sure LA has great QoL, if you're Angelina Jolie.

Trust me, we weren't trying to get you to move here.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:29 am

SBL wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

/thread

Trust me, we weren't trying to get you to move here.

Trust me, I never intended to move there. I was just wondering on what basis the poster above concluded gang-ridden LA and homeless-infest SF have high QoL. Mexico has those things but at least they're cheap.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:44 am

SBL wrote:

/thread

Pretty accurate, though I dispute that the QOL in SLC is high for anyone who isn't Mormon. It would just be too weird to live in the middle of all that. Also, the COL in San Diego is every bit as high as that of LA, if not a little more.

It can be weird at times, but it's not all that bad. It's a gorgeous place with excellent hiking in the summers and skiing in the winters, plus you have incredible parks like Zions and Arches down south. The Jazz and the University of Utah provide plenty for sports fans. The liquor laws fuckin' suck, though. You can only buy liquor and full-strength beer (to take home) at the state liquor stores; the grocery stores only have 3.2% beer.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:15 pm

It's all relative.

I'd never live in Texas or Cali.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Chicago has the lowest COL out of all of the major legal markets and IMO its QOL is very high.

My sister lives in Chicago and I was amazed that you could buy a really nice modern high rise apartment in the loop for the same price as my tiny one bedroom in DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 pm

Hawaii has the highest QoL in the country, if you're into that kind of thing. Sand, sun, not having to worry about seeing your ONS ever again after a week (tourists, ftw).

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hawaii has the highest QoL in the country, if you're into that kind of thing. Sand, sun, not having to worry about seeing your ONS ever again after a week (tourists, ftw).

The unwelcoming, almost hostile locals make it worse than CA.

dihydrogenmonoxide

Postby dihydrogenmonoxide » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:24 pm

The only places with truly terrible QOL regardless of preferences are Mississippi and Alabama. Everywhere else may have good or bad QOL depending on your tastes. No matter your tastes, though, LA, NYC, and DC have disproportionately high COL for their QOL.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:44 pm

dihydrogenmonoxide wrote:The only places with truly terrible QOL regardless of preferences are Mississippi and Alabama. Everywhere else may have good or bad QOL depending on your tastes. No matter your tastes, though, LA, NYC, and DC have disproportionately high COL for their QOL.

And that is why it's all relative. I've lived in Alabama for a little over a year now, and I think there are definitely some areas with a great quality of life. I seriously considered staying when faced with options in ATL, Miami, DC, and TX; If I had made a list based on those options, it would have been DC-->Bama (Birmingham or Mobile)--->ATL--->etc...

Return to “Legal Employment”