How many dress shirts should one own? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many dress shirts should one own?

5-8
22%
8-11
36%
12-15
23%
15-18
6%
18-21
2%
21+
11%

Total votes: 179

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: How many dress shirts should one own?

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 am

i started out my 1L summer with 3 suits and one blazer and about 10 shirts with about 15 ties. I'd day my current count (in my 2nd year of practice), is about 9 or 10 suits and probably about 30 to 40 shirts and I guess maybe 25 to 30 ties. I tend to buy slowly and add them to the mix and then pull things out as they get beaten up..

Jessep

New

Post by Jessep » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:04 am

reasonable_man wrote:i started out my 1L summer with 3 suits and one blazer and about 10 shirts with about 15 ties. I'd day my current count (in my 2nd year of practice), is about 9 or 10 suits and probably about 30 to 40 shirts and I guess maybe 25 to 30 ties. I tend to buy slowly and add them to the mix and then pull things out as they get beaten up..
This seems like a pretty large wardrobe. Is it a NYC thing? If nothing else, storing that many clothes is difficult in an apartment.

dcgbm

New

Post by dcgbm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:49 am

khaki is a color. the pants you guys are referring to are chinos. pet peeve....

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:53 am

It's a function of being busy and hating to take a trip to the dry cleaners.
Jessep wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:i started out my 1L summer with 3 suits and one blazer and about 10 shirts with about 15 ties. I'd day my current count (in my 2nd year of practice), is about 9 or 10 suits and probably about 30 to 40 shirts and I guess maybe 25 to 30 ties. I tend to buy slowly and add them to the mix and then pull things out as they get beaten up..
This seems like a pretty large wardrobe. Is it a NYC thing? If nothing else, storing that many clothes is difficult in an apartment.

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20 pm

JPU wrote:Im pretty sure I have 8-12 but usually wear the same 3-4. I don't think anyone notices since they are all mostly white shirts.

ew.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Bosque wrote:I really hate the look of ties without jackets by the way. Not sure exactly why.
because you look like the guy who's here to repair the printer. ugh. it's a hideous look.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Bosque wrote:I really hate the look of ties without jackets by the way. Not sure exactly why.
same. it's because it makes the person look like a 16 year old intern who hasn't got a full suit yet.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 pm

I agree with you guys, but it helps to spruce up the outfit if you are just wearing blue/white shirts. If not, you have to invest even further in sportcoats, and you already are spending alot to get ready for this.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:23 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:I agree with you guys, but it helps to spruce up the outfit if you are just wearing blue/white shirts. If not, you have to invest even further in sportcoats, and you already are spending alot to get ready for this.
Or wear more than just blue and white shirts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 am

Bosque wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:I agree with you guys, but it helps to spruce up the outfit if you are just wearing blue/white shirts. If not, you have to invest even further in sportcoats, and you already are spending alot to get ready for this.
Eh. A couple striped ones here, but blue and white are the standards for a reason: They look better on most guys than all of the alternatives. Just make sure you don't wear black shirts with a black suit. You're a summer associate, not Johnny Cash.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:58 am

Jessep wrote:
Surprisingly, NY apartments may be the size of closets, but they have pretty roomy closets. A lot of the nice buildings have at least double-wide closets and a good majority have walkins. Pretty nice thing about NYC apartments-a shit ton of closet space for the amount of space you get. Like, a 450sf studio will have a 40sf walkin closet.

10 suits doesn't sound like a lot, probably not enough IMO...unless people normally wear them more than once before they send them off to the cleaners....?

Then again, what do I know, I've never stepped foot in biglaw before (I'm still right about the closet thing though).

Jessep

New

Post by Jessep » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:22 am

Are you implying that you only wear a suit once before dry cleaning it? If so, not only is that unnecessary, it is bad for the suit.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 am

Jessep wrote:Are you implying that you only wear a suit once before dry cleaning it? If so, not only is that unnecessary, it is bad for the suit.
THIS. You are ruining your suits if you clean them too much. You should be wearing a undershirt AND a dress shirt. If your pits sweat so much that it reaches the suit, you have a problem.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kopper

New

Post by kopper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
SBL wrote:I think 10 good ones is a nice round number.
2 work weeks.
2 work weeks is the minimum so you can coordinate with dropping off shirts at the cleaners. and don't launder your own shirts. have them professional cleaned.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 am

SBL wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Eh. A couple striped ones here, but blue and white are the standards for a reason: They look better on most guys than all of the alternatives. Just make sure you don't wear black shirts with a black suit. You're a summer associate, not Johnny Cash.
I am not a dude, so this advice doesn't apply to me, but I love the Johnny Cash look. :(

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:07 pm

SBL wrote:
Bosque wrote:
JPU wrote:I don't know if these exist outside of my native Ohio but Jos. A Bank has some baller work clothes.
They do, but I hate them.
+1

When you buy 3 suits for $200, it's going to look like you bought 3 suits for $200. Sometimes for true basics like white dress shirts, places like Jos. A Bank and Men's Wearhouse (sic) are acceptable, but generally speaking, it's just not a good idea to wear cheap clothes to work. No need to rock an Armani tux to your summer associate gig, but go to Macy's or Nordstrom and drop a few bucks. Men's professional attire never goes out of fashion (unless you buy weird shit like knitted skinny ties or those shirts from the '70s with huge lapels, which, as an aside, I think look pretty cool), so there's no great reason to skimp.
+100

Any clothing store that offers "BUY ONE GET FIFTEEN FREE!!" every other week is crap.

midwestls

New

Post by midwestls » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Actually, there's one approach worth knowing with Jos. A. Bank.

Their Signature Collection Suits - which start at $1,200 sticker price - are hand-sewn and better than almost anything you'll find at Macy's, etc. (if you doubt it, go try on both). I know several V50 associates who have Signatures in their rotation.

When Jos. A. Bank has its 3-for-1 sale, and you can get three of the Signatures for $1,200, that's a good deal and can be a good start for a young law student or attorney who has no other formal wear. Don't get them tailored at Jos. A. Bank, however - go to a real tailor.

I also vote for 10-12 shirts, with the majority of them white. Non-button down for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Are button-downed collared shirts appropriate (e.g. sport shirts) in a business casual firm?

I saw one of my interviewers (a partner) wearing one. Of course, you shouldn't wear a button down shirt with a tie, but perhaps it would be nice to have a couple of button-down shirts to go along with traditional shirts.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:05 pm

dougroberts wrote:Are button-downed collared shirts appropriate (e.g. sport shirts) in a business casual firm?

I saw one of my interviewers (a partner) wearing one. Of course, you shouldn't wear a button down shirt with a tie, but perhaps it would be nice to have a couple of button-down shirts to go along with traditional shirts.

Not to get into this discussion here, but 'button-down' collar shirts can be acceptable even with suits and ties, see e.g., J.Press and Brooks Brothers.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:10 pm

dougroberts wrote:Are button-downed collared shirts appropriate (e.g. sport shirts) in a business casual firm?

Yes, a decent number of associates wear button downs. I think it's a very professional look.

transferguy

New

Post by transferguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:07 am

Are you serious? This seems like massive overkill.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 pm

at least enough for 2 full work weeks so you dont have to do laundry every week

johnny-boy

New

Post by johnny-boy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:49 pm

It all depends on how often you want to drop by the cleaners. I try try to keep 15 good ones rotating all the time and still have a few left in reserve just in case I forget. I get a couple of shirts when there is a deal at my favorite dress shirt spot. http://www.muglers.com

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Haven't started at a firm yet but in biz casual IB I would keep about 10-20 shirts but only 3 white 3 blue the rest classic patterns with a few probably more suited for clubs etc (silk etc).

I find that I like to do cleaning like once every 2 weeks and I'll wear 4-5 shirts for the 2 weeks. I can usually look fine with a non iron shirt wearing it 2-3x before cleaning if its not white.

Feel like any less and it's too much of the same shirt.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Nothing like a thread being brought back after 2+ years (at least its a useful one though...)

Just to add something that at least I didn't realize before starting work is that if you live in a doorman building, there will absolutely be a dry-cleaner or two nearby that will both pick-up and drop-off your clothes within 1-2 days. Lots of Biglaw attorneys even use the same cleaners to do standard laundry at like $1/lb. Therefore, the idea that you need weeks of clothes to avoid going to the cleaner just doesn't make sense - there are plenty of reasons to have more than 2 suits and 5 shirts, but worrying about cleaning them should not be anywhere near the top of the list.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”