USAO Law Clerk Position - Drug Test?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ScaredWorkedBored

Re: USAO Law Clerk Position - Drug Test?

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the background check here more extensive than C&F you think?

C&F (mostly) uses paper records. The federal background investigations use FBI agents who are, among other things, trying to verify you're not working for the Russians, the Mafia, or the Russian Mafia.

Apart from being tremendously unethical and per se illegal, lying about anything regarding security clearance employment is very knuckleheaded.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:43 pm

I was drug tested for a law clerk position at the USAO, but it was in the southern half of the country, and did a lot of drug cases. Urine test in town, couldn't start without it.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:33 pm

CLS2011 wrote:Because they're going to interview everyone you've ever lived with (such as, say, random college roommates) and will ask the people you list as references for other people who know you that they can talk to. The odds of EVERY SINGLE ONE of the random people who lived near you / encountered you socially / worked with you / went to school with you that they could potentially talk to lying to an FBI background investigator about your drug use when they have nothing to gain from doing so is pretty low.

I have a set of roommates that I had a terrible relationship with who would probably lie and make up stuff to an FBI investigator just to be terrible people. Great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Do regulatory agencies typically do this intensive of a background check as well?

CLS2011

Postby CLS2011 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:11 am

eandy wrote:I have a set of roommates that I had a terrible relationship with who would probably lie and make up stuff to an FBI investigator just to be terrible people. Great.

If that was the case I would guess the best course of action would probably be to tell them going in that you had random roommates who irrationally dislike you and you fear may try to sabotage your candidacy by making things up about you. It sounds sort of sketchy, but maybe you decrease the odds of them believing that one random person over you when no one else they talk to (and it's a lot of people, including many who would have known you in that same time period) corroborates whatever that person was to say. I'm not speaking from experience here and don't know for sure if that would be the best course of action, but it's probably what I would do if I was facing that situation and I had a legitimate and well-based fear that someone would be willing to lie to federal agents just to screw me over. That being said, I doubt there's many people willing to swear to a bald-faced lie to federal background investigators just to keep someone they know unemployed.

Return to “Legal Employment”