SEC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danteshek

Re: SEC

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received a call this afternoon from an attorney in one of the SEC offices. Unfortunately I was in class until late and will have to call back tomorrow. For anyone else who got this initial call, was it for a bonafide interview over the phone right then and there or just to arrange an interview for later? I'm wondering how much preparing I should do tonight. Thank you!

I interviewed w/ the SEC a while back and this is how it went. First, I got a call to schedule the interview. Then I interviewed at their office later that week. Then a couple of weeks later I got an offer. I don't think the interview is going to be over the phone unless you go to school in a different city than the office that wants to interview you.

good luck! :)

Is SEC internships only for citizens? I am a green card holder.

No. SEC has the ability to hire a few interns and attorneys from allied nations. It is one of the the only government agencies that does this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:58 am

does anyone think they will end up with funding? i was offered a 2L position and took it but am hoping for some money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Also hoping they get funding, as I accepted a 2L position and the extra pay would be sweet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 pm

What division?

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:59 pm

How competitive are these internships relative to biglaw? Do you need a certain school or class rank? And do these internships generally turn into full-time offers like biglaw?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 pm

Does anyone have advice on which division to chose? I know Corp Fin is transactional and Enforcement is litigation, but is one better than the other for some reason?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have advice on which division to chose? I know Corp Fin is transactional and Enforcement is litigation, but is one better than the other for some reason?

Depends. 1 L or 2 L? Which office? What are your interest (litigation, transactional, regulatory)?

vsick

Postby vsick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:17 am

1L - not regulatory--undecided between transactional and litigation

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Received an offer last week for NYC.

Question - I'm debating between this right now and a 1L SA gig in a secondary market (V100). Obviously the SA gig pays. That being said, the SEC seems like a "prestigious" program and a few people say it helps outperform your numbers at OCI (I have above-median numbers at CCN but still could use the boost I suppose), but others seem to say that BigLaw doesn't seem to care at all where you go.

Thoughts on which to go with? The SA gig is at a firm/office I probably don't want to go to full-time after graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:35 pm

I summered in NYRO in enforcement last summer, and I would totally have taken the 1L SA gig over that, especially if I were at all interested in ending up in that secondary market. While SEC might help you outperform (doubtful, perhaps just to the extent that it gives you something to talk about with people doing white collar, securities litigation, etc), a 1L SA is probably more valuable in terms of conversation fodder and as a signalling mechnanism.

Also, it's $30k in your pocket! I mean I could see reasons why you'd want to be in NY (significant other in NY, hate the secondary market, money is no object, dead set on joining the SEC/CFPB/CFTC/etc as soon as possible, unrequited love for mary jo white), but I think they'd have to be pretty compelling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summered in NYRO in enforcement last summer, and I would totally have taken the 1L SA gig over that, especially if I were at all interested in ending up in that secondary market. While SEC might help you outperform (doubtful, perhaps just to the extent that it gives you something to talk about with people doing white collar, securities litigation, etc), a 1L SA is probably more valuable in terms of conversation fodder and as a signalling mechnanism.

Also, it's $30k in your pocket! I mean I could see reasons why you'd want to be in NY (significant other in NY, hate the secondary market, money is no object, dead set on joining the SEC/CFPB/CFTC/etc as soon as possible, unrequited love for mary jo white), but I think they'd have to be pretty compelling.

Thank you for your perspective! (I was the poster who asked)

Return to “Legal Employment”