SEC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEC

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Enforcement interview

Mind sharing when this came, if it was your first preference, and numbers/experience? As much as you are comfortable with, I would appreciate it; SEC work is my ideal gig, I applied about a month ago and have had silence. And I was rejected as a 1L; why do I keep coming back...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:21 pm

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I too would like to know about the JD/CPA

also, does SEC take 1L summer or is it just 2L summer?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I too would like to know about the JD/CPA

The only way a CPA would be potentially useful (for OCIE) is if you worked in Big 4 auditing financial institutions and understood the mechanics of settlements. But then again, OCIE should probably be disbanded. For your other question, go read the SEC website.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Danteshek wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I too would like to know about the JD/CPA

The only way a CPA would be potentially useful (for OCIE) is if you worked in Big 4 auditing financial institutions and understood the mechanics of settlements. But then again, OCIE should probably be disbanded. For your other question, go read the SEC website.

ahh, but see that requires that I open google, type SEC and law student and internship or such and then read it all. much easier if someone, with their infamous knowledge, knows off the top of their head and posts here cause they wanna be ULTIMATE GUNNER

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Common. No gunners here. Especially in this forum. And Dante? No way is he a gunner who is willing to tell you what he knows about the SEC (everything that has to do with it). So you are SOL. =p

But serious, no movement? Is this going to be a rolling thing, or were the two interview invites that went out in this thread all that's going to happen?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 am

Second interviewee from this thread here. I asked my interviewers about the process, they said that interviews are continuing and that an answer will be forthcoming in 4-6 weeks, with expedited service for those candidates who have exploding offers (unfortunately not me).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm

any more interviews recently?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Ouch, no money for the SEC Honors Program this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:45 pm

... what?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:... what?

"Please know that at this point due to the budgetary restrictions, all summer programs will be on a voluntary basis.

Please notify us if this influences your decision on being considered."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:19 pm

sullidop wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:... what?

"Please know that at this point due to the budgetary restrictions, all summer programs will be on a voluntary basis.

Please notify us if this influences your decision on being considered."

Yep got the same e-mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:16 pm

They're on a complete hiring freeze right now, so this makes sense. Sucks too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They're on a complete hiring freeze right now, so this makes sense. Sucks too.

they definitely aren't on a hiring freeze for the summer honors program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm

By hiring freeze, I mean that they don't have a budget yet so they can't pay their summers. They are obviously still having the program.

From what I understand (coming from a commissioner, in person, one month ago), they haven't gotten their budget worked out, so they are struggling trying to prepare for the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act. I'm guessing that this is probably affecting whether or not the Summer Honors interns will be paid or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm

My interviewer told me that at this time there is no $$$ for interns. According to the interviewer, however, once Congress passes the inevitable continuing resolution, there will be funding. This was a couple weeks ago- no clue if the salary freeze will affect this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Although, I must say: that email sets a new bar for determining who is truly committed to working for the sec (or govt in general).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:05 pm

While I understand the interview process is still underway, I was never contacted.

Does anyone think there is chance of hearing anything, considering the now voluntary basis of the summer program? Frustrated I didn't get an interview with my work experience and Dodd-Frank/Enforcement related law review article. I knew it was hyper-competitive, but still sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:22 am

I was under the impression their interview process can go on and on... and on well into spring? Trying to keep the faith.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Did they send the e-mail about no funding to all applicants or just to those they have/will interview? Also, should one NOT write back to express continuing interest since they said to "notify us if this influences your decision", or would that be a positive?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:34 pm

I don't have an interview,yet. And I do not plan on replying to the email, even though I am still interested. I think that they were just looking to thin the applicant pool.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 pm

I received a call this afternoon from an attorney in one of the SEC offices. Unfortunately I was in class until late and will have to call back tomorrow. For anyone else who got this initial call, was it for a bonafide interview over the phone right then and there or just to arrange an interview for later? I'm wondering how much preparing I should do tonight. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:27 pm

I got my interview via e-mail, but I'm sure it will just be to set the interview up, they can't expect you to be ready on the spot

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received a call this afternoon from an attorney in one of the SEC offices. Unfortunately I was in class until late and will have to call back tomorrow. For anyone else who got this initial call, was it for a bonafide interview over the phone right then and there or just to arrange an interview for later? I'm wondering how much preparing I should do tonight. Thank you!

I interviewed w/ the SEC a while back and this is how it went. First, I got a call to schedule the interview. Then I interviewed at their office later that week. Then a couple of weeks later I got an offer. I don't think the interview is going to be over the phone unless you go to school in a different city than the office that wants to interview you.

good luck! :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received a call this afternoon from an attorney in one of the SEC offices. Unfortunately I was in class until late and will have to call back tomorrow. For anyone else who got this initial call, was it for a bonafide interview over the phone right then and there or just to arrange an interview for later? I'm wondering how much preparing I should do tonight. Thank you!

I interviewed w/ the SEC a while back and this is how it went. First, I got a call to schedule the interview. Then I interviewed at their office later that week. Then a couple of weeks later I got an offer. I don't think the interview is going to be over the phone unless you go to school in a different city than the office that wants to interview you.

good luck! :)

Is SEC internships only for citizens? I am a green card holder.

Return to “Legal Employment”