Best Atlanta Firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best Atlanta Firm?

McKenna Long Aldridge
2%
Jones Day
14%
Troutman Sanders
7%
Kilpatrick Stockton
2%
Alston Bird
34%
King Spalding
36%
Morris Manning Martin
2%
Duane Morris
No votes
Holland Knight
3%

Total votes: 92

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: Best Atlanta Firm?

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BruceWayne wrote: You're telling me they jumped from taking median(and below) in 07 to top 10 percent in 2008? Something doesn't sound right--even for ITE that's extreme. The Michigan GPA chart shows similar numbers to the one's that I posted earlier (with the absolute highest GPA at Michigan before ITE being a 3.6). If Alston and K&S are hiring the GPAs you've quoted, they're as selective as Covington DC and Cravath. What are they hiring at UGA then--top 1 percent? Something doesn't sound right with those numbers.
Cravath did not come to UVA's OGI this year. I'm not sure if they normally do. The K&S numbers are very high, but K&S Atlanta is far more selective that K&S at any of the other offices, at least at UVA. Plus, that's just the median. If in 2008 they only gave something like 3 callbacks, that might explain it.
http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

It looks like Cravath came to UVA this year (unless they made that schedule and then dropped UVA). If in 2008 K&S only gave 3 callbacks that makes more sense. Maybe that year only high GPA people bid on them. From the Michigan chart and the 2007 UVA one they don't seem exceptionally selective (even the Atlanta one).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:31 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BruceWayne wrote: You're telling me they jumped from taking median(and below) in 07 to top 10 percent in 2008? Something doesn't sound right--even for ITE that's extreme. The Michigan GPA chart shows similar numbers to the one's that I posted earlier (with the absolute highest GPA at Michigan before ITE being a 3.6). If Alston and K&S are hiring the GPAs you've quoted, they're as selective as Covington DC and Cravath. What are they hiring at UGA then--top 1 percent? Something doesn't sound right with those numbers.
Cravath did not come to UVA's OGI this year. I'm not sure if they normally do. The K&S numbers are very high, but K&S Atlanta is far more selective that K&S at any of the other offices, at least at UVA. Plus, that's just the median. If in 2008 they only gave something like 3 callbacks, that might explain it.
http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

It looks like Cravath came to UVA this year (unless they made that schedule and then dropped UVA). If in 2008 K&S only gave 3 callbacks that makes more sense. Maybe that year only high GPA people bid on them. From the Michigan chart and the 2007 UVA one they don't seem exceptionally selective (even the Atlanta one).
Right you are. I was thinking of Wachtell. But the numbers from 2008 are still right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:55 pm

<shakes head at UVA 1L's>

1) Cravath did come to OGI this year. Cravath did give a number of callbacks. At least 1 person accepted an offer from Cravath.

2) I wouldn't be surprised if the Atlanta firms have relatively high GPA's for CB's; however, that's likely because (a) they don't give that many CB's and (b) some top students <gasp> would rather go to Atlanta than NYC or DC.

3) Those quoted GPA's don't come close to the GPA's required for top DC and top NYC (V5-10) firms this year. I cannot overstate how harsh the DC market was this year.

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 pm

I am looking for an opinion on this. I really like Atlanta and have some ties to the south i.e. went to college and grew up in North Florida. I am a 1L at a t6 how tough would it be to be able to get a SA as a 2L? I know that they really don't recruit much up here but some people have had success with mass mailing.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 pm

rsg87 wrote:I am looking for an opinion on this. I really like Atlanta and have some ties to the south i.e. went to college and grew up in North Florida. I am a 1L at a t6 how tough would it be to be able to get a SA as a 2L? I know that they really don't recruit much up here but some people have had success with mass mailing.
I've seen plenty of firm bios at Alston and King and Spalding with people who are either 1. Barely from the South or 2. Not from the South. I'm sure that it's possible (especially at those 2 firms); good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:<shakes head at UVA 1L's>

1) Cravath did come to OGI this year. Cravath did give a number of callbacks. At least 1 person accepted an offer from Cravath.

2) I wouldn't be surprised if the Atlanta firms have relatively high GPA's for CB's; however, that's likely because (a) they don't give that many CB's and (b) some top students <gasp> would rather go to Atlanta than NYC or DC.

3) Those quoted GPA's don't come close to the GPA's required for top DC and top NYC (V5-10) firms this year. I cannot overstate how harsh the DC market was this year.
I guess. Things aren't as Black and White as you're making them out to be. I know a person who definitely doesn't have a GPA as high as a 3.6 and they have a post grad offer at Covington DC, so I wouldn't say it's that simple.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:16 am

rsg87 wrote:I am looking for an opinion on this. I really like Atlanta and have some ties to the south i.e. went to college and grew up in North Florida. I am a 1L at a t6 how tough would it be to be able to get a SA as a 2L? I know that they really don't recruit much up here but some people have had success with mass mailing.
I think they are just looking for Southeastern ties, not necessarily ties to Atlanta. Also, many of the callbacks at A&B this year were NOT from schools where they conducted on-campus interviews. They ended up screening a ton of applicants at various schools via video conference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I think they are just looking for Southeastern ties, not necessarily ties to Atlanta. Also, many of the callbacks at A&B this year were NOT from schools where they conducted on-campus interviews. They ended up screening a ton of applicants at various schools via video conference.
I can attest to this, especially for their IP department.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I can attest to this, especially for their IP department.
Yeah, I got a callback after I submitted my materials through my law school's resume/transcript drop service and had a video screening interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Atlanta was very selective at Duke this year. I'm guessing there are a few reasons for that:

1) There were at least five law review members looking to end up in Atlanta. Two or three of the same five people got callbacks at every Atlanta firm.

2) IIRC, only seven or so Atlanta firms were at Duke's OCI.

3) It was my impression that Atlanta hiring, while picking up slightly this year, is still down relative to some other markets (this is just my guess based on talking to Atlanta attorneys, so it could be wrong).

My advice if you're looking to go to Atlanta is to apply to at least one other market, preferably NY, to make sure you don't strike out.
Do you know how many Duke 2012 students ending up getting BigLaw in Atlanta for next summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Atlanta was very selective at Duke this year. I'm guessing there are a few reasons for that:

1) There were at least five law review members looking to end up in Atlanta. Two or three of the same five people got callbacks at every Atlanta firm.

2) IIRC, only seven or so Atlanta firms were at Duke's OCI.

3) It was my impression that Atlanta hiring, while picking up slightly this year, is still down relative to some other markets (this is just my guess based on talking to Atlanta attorneys, so it could be wrong).

My advice if you're looking to go to Atlanta is to apply to at least one other market, preferably NY, to make sure you don't strike out.
Do you know how many Duke 2012 students ending up getting BigLaw in Atlanta for next summer?
No, sorry. I know for sure of a few, but I definitely don't know everyone. Duke releases where everyone in the 2L class goes, though, so when they do that I'll post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”