Working Connections while on hold from callback interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working Connections while on hold from callback interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Like some other people out there, I have a few pending callbacks from OCI that I should "hear back within the next few weeks."

Since I currently don't have an offer on the table, I recently started a mass email campaign and started working connections with family friends at 2 smaller regional firms.

At firm A, a 70 lawyer regional firm, assuming I don't make an idiot out of myself in the interview, I would definitely get an offer. However, firm A, while regionally respected, is very far away from my home market.

At firm B, I have a strong family connection with one of the name partners in a 70 lawyer regional firm. While nothing has been firmed up, it seems like I would have an excellent chance at getting an offer. It is located in my home market.

However, both firms A and B do not practice the type of law I am interested in. Both practice Mass Torts, Admiralty, Worker's Comp, Products Liability.

Meanwhile, I am waiting to hear back from two callbacks, one from a regional office of a mid ranged Vault firm, and one from a regional firm. Both firms have practice areas that I'm interested in. Both callback firms would be preferred over firm A and B. However, since Vault firm has only 1 spot and regional firm has 2 spots, my odds of getting an offer are probably not awesome.

I would certainly love to work at A and B, if I had no other options. But I want to go with my preferred choices if I land them. And I don't want to offend the family friends by hitting them up for a job, then saying "Never mind got an offer from someone else." Anyone have advice for this sort of situation?

The White Flame

Re: Working Connections while on hold from callback interviews

Postby The White Flame » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:13 pm

It is better to offend some family friend than to be unemployed. And as long as you are tactful about rejecting the firm, it shouldnt be a problem.

Anonymous User

Re: Working Connections while on hold from callback interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:19 pm

The White Flame wrote:It is better to offend some family friend than to be unemployed. And as long as you are tactful about rejecting the firm, it shouldnt be a problem.

OP here- I guess what I am asking is, what is the most tactful way to reject the firm?

Return to “Legal Employment”