Anyone else still waiting to hear back from firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Anyone else still waiting to hear back from firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still waiting on 3 firms, got another firm screening interview this week. No offers. Hang in there everyone.
Really? Mind sharing which market? It seemed like all the major market firms were wrapping up.

DC...they were looking were someone with a demonstrated interest in a specific practice area. Fortunately, I could demonstrate such an interest (both through work history and classes I am enrolled in this year). I have no idea if they're serious or what, but it would seem odd to post the job and interview unless they legit had some places left to offer, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC...they were looking were someone with a demonstrated interest in a specific practice area. Fortunately, I could demonstrate such an interest (both through work history and classes I am enrolled in this year). I have no idea if they're serious or what, but it would seem odd to post the job and interview unless they legit had some places left to offer, right?
Yeah, definitely. I would say it's a good sign that they are giving you a screening interview this late in the game. They must have really liked your resume. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I was on hold for about a month, and I called the recruiter at my top choice. They basically were really upfront about it and told me exactly what they were waiting on. They called me with an offer about 2 weeks later- and specifically mentioned that I had said I would accept right away. So, I don't think it hurts to call and check in (and convince them you'd take it.)

What did you say when you called? I've also been on hold for a month but have no clue what I'd even say if I tried to call the firm at this point

I said that they were my top choice (and gave several reasons why.) I also told them about my other deadlines.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was on hold for about a month, and I called the recruiter at my top choice. They basically were really upfront about it and told me exactly what they were waiting on. They called me with an offer about 2 weeks later- and specifically mentioned that I had said I would accept right away. So, I don't think it hurts to call and check in (and convince them you'd take it.)
Here's hoping. How big or small was the firm's summer class?

I'm not sure exactly how many; last year there were around 15 in this office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:38 pm

Had two unknown numbers call today, freaked me out. Still no word from that last cb. Who could they possibly still be interviewing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 pm

not to be a downer, because i'm int he same boat, but I think at this points most places have made all their offers and they're just waiting to see if everyone they offered to is going to accept. If someone doesn't accept, they'll call one of us in off the bench.

That said it's not all bad -- the firms definitely liked us, they just didn't LIKE like us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Beat this one - im still waiting from a callback on sept 10

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Beat this one - im still waiting from a callback on sept 10

Still waiting on one from Sept. 7...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:08 am

I said that they were my top choice (and gave several reasons why.) I also told them about my other deadlines.

Thats my problem- I don't have any other deadlines. I feel like if I called the firm I wouldn't really have much to say and it would be awkward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:20 am

I feel ya. I am still waiting on multiple firms, some from a while back. Just very stressful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 am

My advice to those that are waiting (i.e. on hold) is to not count on it, obviously because the disappointment is so much more painful if you keep your hopes up. I know it's hard (been there), but you're better off just assuming that you didn't get it and apply to as many jobs as possible right now. That way, you can move on relatively faster if you're rejected or be deliriously happy if you're taken off the waitlist.

On a related note.... http://www.slate.com/id/2272621

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:My advice to those that are waiting (i.e. on hold) is to not count on it, obviously because the disappointment is so much more painful if you keep your hopes up. I know it's hard (been there), but you're better off just assuming that you didn't get it and apply to as many jobs as possible right now. That way, you can move on relatively faster if you're rejected or be deliriously happy if you're taken off the waitlist.

On a related note.... http://www.slate.com/id/2272621

but what jobs are there to apply to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thats my problem- I don't have any other deadlines. I feel like if I called the firm I wouldn't really have much to say and it would be awkward.

I'm not sure about your particular firm, but I sent my firm an e-mail about 3-4 weeks after the CB because it was getting late in the game. I wrote in the e-mail that I enjoyed visiting the firm, that I was still very much interested in them, and that I was wondering what their timeline looked like. (I didn't have any offers)

They called me in reply to my e-mail and told me that they were delayed because of scheduling or something along those lines but they did say they were glad to know I was still interested and to let them know of any deadlines. I told them that I would do so and the conversation ended.

It really wasn't awkward at all - I share this because I ended up getting an offer from them. If a lot of time has passed after the callback and they have 2 people they like and one has shown signs that they're likely to accept an offer, who knows, they might go with it. Either way, I don't think it can hurt. I was scared to ask but even before getting an offer, it was totally fine.

Noval

Postby Noval » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
Noval wrote:Keep your heads up guys, it's absolutely important to be persistent.

It took me 1.5 month to get an answer because the slut who was administrating the records lost of them, i called them like 1.5 month after and the Partner remembered me, reviewed everything himself and i got the job at McCarthy & Tetrault.

If you get rejected, keep applying, Firms love motivation, i know many, many friends who got an offer after applying 3-6 times to the same firm.
You just outed yourself and called an employee who works there a "slut."

Not smart.

That woman got fired months ago and all the Partners agree with me that she was there for the big bucks and wasn't motivated to do the job in anyway, so no it's not a problem for me to be harsh against fired employees, you'd do the same if some moron who's responsible of recruitment loses your record and makes you wait almost 2 months for a word of information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 pm

A friend of mine got a callback from OCI yesterday....geesh...

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Noval wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
Noval wrote:Keep your heads up guys, it's absolutely important to be persistent.

It took me 1.5 month to get an answer because the slut who was administrating the records lost of them, i called them like 1.5 month after and the Partner remembered me, reviewed everything himself and i got the job at McCarthy & Tetrault.

If you get rejected, keep applying, Firms love motivation, i know many, many friends who got an offer after applying 3-6 times to the same firm.
You just outed yourself and called an employee who works there a "slut."

Not smart.

That woman got fired months ago and all the Partners agree with me that she was there for the big bucks and wasn't motivated to do the job in anyway, so no it's not a problem for me to be harsh against fired employees, you'd do the same if some moron who's responsible of recruitment loses your record and makes you wait almost 2 months for a word of information.

Quoted so that this gem can be memorialized forever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:52 pm

I thought you all were jerks for quoting the first time to try to screw this guy over, but at this point he deserves it for responding

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I thought you all were jerks for quoting the first time to try to screw this guy over, but at this point he deserves it for responding

Does one have to "try" to screw someone over who:

Talks bad about the firm he's going to be working at

Tells everyone the name of the firm

Has already told everyone on the forum where he goes to school (not that it would have been that hard to figure out; there aren't that many law schools in Canada, and there are only two in Montreal)

Has made no attempt to retract, delete, or soften his comments

:?:

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:10 am

JazzOne wrote:

Quoted for posterity. Good luck!

Nah, no worries. They don't have internet in Canada.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Down to 2 more firms from OCI. Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:05 am

I'm still waiting on 2 callbacks from September. An additional callback from a little over a week ago and a screener from a week ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 am

Seven weeks and three weeks for me now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still waiting on 2 callbacks from September. An additional callback from a little over a week ago and a screener from a week ago.

Make that 1 from September. Other 1 gave me the ax after I e-mailed asking about status. They forgot to send me my rejection letter.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought you all were jerks for quoting the first time to try to screw this guy over, but at this point he deserves it for responding

Has already told everyone on the forum where he goes to school (not that it would have been that hard to figure out; there aren't that many law schools in Canada, and there are only two in Montreal)

Is it more likely that he's a complete, total idiot OR that someone is using an opportunity for sabotage?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm

I have a friend who's been on hold at a big firm for six weeks. He hasn't made any contact with the firm. I keep urging him to do it because he has no other offers, but he is reluctant. Are there any other thoughts or stories from people who were on hold over a month and then contacted the firm? My friend doesn't know what to say because he doesn't have any deadlines that he can use to prod the firm to make a decision.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Is it more likely that he's a complete, total idiot OR that someone is using an opportunity for sabotage?

I hadn't thought about sabotage. Either way it was an idiotic post.

Return to “Legal Employment”