What should I do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273257
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:45 am

I had a callback interview with a firm almost five weeks ago, and sent them an email expressing my continued interest over two weeks ago (to which they did not respond). I know of people who have been rejected, and I know of a person who has accepted an offer, but this all happened weeks ago. The firm is having a very small summer class.

I've heard of waitlists, but do I consider myself out at this point? Or, do I try and get in touch with the recruiting coordinator again, even though she never responded the first time?

I realize this question might lend an obvious answer to some, but the career center at my school has been most unhelpful.

Thank you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273257
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 am

I'm in a similar position- call back 4 weeks ago, e-mail from the recruiting manager 2 weeks ago saying that no decision had been made and I am still under serious consideration. Since then nothing.

As far as I can tell, all I can do is hope that other people turn down their offers.

User avatar
jchoggan
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 1:26 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby jchoggan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:30 am

If they have a summer class, the firm is probably giving out one offer at a time. I know of a few firms that are in this process, and most are taking their time. Of course, this is compounded by students who are sitting on multiple offers for weeks on end (either while waiting to hear from other firms or just to make themselves feel good).

If the recruiter hasn't responded to you by now, they probably won't before they make a decison, so just hang tight for now. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273257
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:15 pm

I would call. I had a similar experience, except my call-back was literally 7 weeks ago, heard nothing forever, offer early this week. The firm also had a very small summer class, so I am sure all this is is they extend one or two offers and have to wait until they affirmatively get a yes or no from those candidates because they have no room for "spillover error." If I were you, I would just call (to me shows more interest than just e-mailing), you will likely be told they are doing everything they can and just be patient. But at least by calling you are forcing someone to give some sort of response. Never give up hope though, it really isn't over till you hear yes or no.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273257
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would call. I had a similar experience, except my call-back was literally 7 weeks ago, heard nothing forever, offer early this week. The firm also had a very small summer class, so I am sure all this is is they extend one or two offers and have to wait until they affirmatively get a yes or no from those candidates because they have no room for "spillover error." If I were you, I would just call (to me shows more interest than just e-mailing), you will likely be told they are doing everything they can and just be patient. But at least by calling you are forcing someone to give some sort of response. Never give up hope though, it really isn't over till you hear yes or no.


I always wondered how those phone calls would go. What do you say, it must be awkward, no?

aelfwin
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: What should I do?

Postby aelfwin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would call. I had a similar experience, except my call-back was literally 7 weeks ago, heard nothing forever, offer early this week. The firm also had a very small summer class, so I am sure all this is is they extend one or two offers and have to wait until they affirmatively get a yes or no from those candidates because they have no room for "spillover error." If I were you, I would just call (to me shows more interest than just e-mailing), you will likely be told they are doing everything they can and just be patient. But at least by calling you are forcing someone to give some sort of response. Never give up hope though, it really isn't over till you hear yes or no.


I always wondered how those phone calls would go. What do you say, it must be awkward, no?


The firm may ask if you have an offer already, which may be awkward if you don't. If you do, the firm may ask which firm it is, which I think is similarly awkward.

Just ask what the status of your application is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273257
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:56 pm

aelfwin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would call. I had a similar experience, except my call-back was literally 7 weeks ago, heard nothing forever, offer early this week. The firm also had a very small summer class, so I am sure all this is is they extend one or two offers and have to wait until they affirmatively get a yes or no from those candidates because they have no room for "spillover error." If I were you, I would just call (to me shows more interest than just e-mailing), you will likely be told they are doing everything they can and just be patient. But at least by calling you are forcing someone to give some sort of response. Never give up hope though, it really isn't over till you hear yes or no.


I always wondered how those phone calls would go. What do you say, it must be awkward, no?


The firm may ask if you have an offer already, which may be awkward if you don't. If you do, the firm may ask which firm it is, which I think is similarly awkward.

Just ask what the status of your application is.


Yeah, it is somewhat awkward. All you need to do is call and say you were just calling to express your continued interest in working for the firm and ask if you could get an update on your applications status. Admittedly it is easier if you can follow that by saying you have an offer with an approaching deadline but would really like to work for this firm. I only had one firm inquire who the offers were from, the others just politely said they are going as fast as possible and would probably report back within X amount of time.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.