Quitting a Journal

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
let/them/eat/cake

Re: Quitting a Journal

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:40 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
JPU wrote:FWIW I have really enjoyed my secondary journal so far. Low stress and a great way to meet more people at school.

Are you an alien?

I think the more noteworthy part of his post was that the person wants to meet more people at law school. :shock:

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:16 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Are you an alien?

No, just a transfer trying to make his way.
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
I think the more noteworthy part of his post was that the person wants to meet more people at law school. :shock:

Isn't that kind of what were paying for a t-14 schools? To meet and befriend people who will be doing big things down the road. "Creating a network" so to speak.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm

No... no, that isn't why you're going to a T14 at all. You're going there because there is a significantly greater chance someone will hire you if your fancy piece of paper says "T14" as opposed to "anything else." That has nothing to do with networking or anything else. If anything, people at lower-ranked schools seem to do better at networking.

Might it help in the long term? Eh, maybe. But it isn't why you're going.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:34 pm

JPU wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Are you an alien?

No, just a transfer trying to make his way.
let/them/eat/cake wrote:

Isn't that kind of what were paying for a t-14 schools? To meet and befriend people who will be doing big things down the road. "Creating a network" so to speak.

but thanks for the lulz.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:but thanks for the lulz.

I forgot, successful people shun others and never talk to anyone. Except of course to try and sound cool on the interwebz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:13 am

Everyone hates journals. Even flagship journals. The main point is to prove that you can take on a lot of commitments. I heard this over and over again about my experience as an NCAA athlete. It tells employers that you accomplished the same things as the other good students, but on far less sleep, while sacrificing a social life. That's exactly what they're looking for. IF you can force yourself to get really engrossed in tedious, mindless work, then you just might have what it takes to be a junior associate!

Also, the fact that journals will publish your writing is a BENEFIT. A huge one. You should definitely publish if you can.

Return to “Legal Employment”