Quitting a Journal

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quitting a Journal

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Has anyone done this yet? with a V10 firm? Any tips on how to approach the conversation?

ToTransferOrNot

Re: Quitting a Journal

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done this yet? with a V10 firm? Any tips on how to approach the conversation?

What is with all of the idiots on the board today looking to back out of obligations they signed up for?

At Chicago, if you quit a journal, the journal notifies your employer, a notation is placed on your transcript, and it is reported to C&F. And deservedly so.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:05 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done this yet? with a V10 firm? Any tips on how to approach the conversation?

What is with all of the idiots on the board today looking to back out of obligations they signed up for?

At Chicago, if you quit a journal, the journal notifies your employer, a notation is placed on your transcript, and it is reported to C&F. And deservedly so.

What do you sign a contract or something? And does that go for end-of-year deciding not to return to the journal for your 3L year? I'm just a 1L and wouldn't quit a journey but you make me curious as to what exactly people are signing up for when they decide to get on a journal.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Contrary to popular belief, signing a contract is not the only way to obligate yourself to something.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:19 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Contrary to popular belief, signing a contract is not the only way to obligate yourself to something.

It's the only way to obligate yourself to something for which withdrawal has such severe penalties. And yes, to the 1L, at my school we sign a "2-year commitment."

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:26 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

We've had one or two people quit the secondary I am on. "Too busy," "other commitments," etc. Ends up pushing work to other people who have the exact same issues.

Barring some crazy circumstances, quitting is uncalled for. Man up and do what you agreed to do.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:28 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

We've had one or two people quit the secondary I am on. "Too busy," "other commitments," etc. Ends up pushing work to other people who have the exact same issues.

Barring some crazy circumstances, quitting is uncalled for. Man up and do what you agreed to do.

Not only that, but you've screwed someone else who would have taken the spot.

It's ridiculous all the way around.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Contrary to popular belief, signing a contract is not the only way to obligate yourself to something.

Please don't transfer...at least not to TX. People with your genuinely nice personality just won't fit in here

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:36 pm

bmontminy wrote:

Please don't transfer...at least not to TX. People with your genuinely nice personality just won't fit in here

You're going to love actually being in a firm, heh.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:38 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
bmontminy wrote:

You're going to love actually being in a firm, heh.

More importantly, i hope that people will enjoy me being in their firm. :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:52 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Op here... Thanks for your "at chicago" spiel... But your post was completely pointless. I asked if anyone has done this, and how to approach it with the firm. Why do you care what the heck I'm doing??? Furthermore, I think it's idiotic to waste a ridiculous amount of one's time on something as worthless and completely irrelevant as a secondary journal. The fact that firms use this as an evaluation criteria is completely mind blowing, and I personally could imagine an infinite amount of things more useful to do with my time, than wasting it doing something so nonsensical. That being said, I'll repeat my original question. Does anyone have any experience doing this at a V10 firm?

Thanks

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Op here... Thanks for your "at chicago" spiel... But your post was completely pointless. I asked if anyone has done this, and how to approach it with the firm. Why do you care what the heck I'm doing??? Furthermore, I think it's idiotic to waste a ridiculous amount of one's time on something as worthless and completely irrelevant as a secondary journal. The fact that firms use this as an evaluation criteria is completely mind blowing, and I personally could imagine an infinite amount of things more useful to do with my time, than wasting it doing something so nonsensical. That being said, I'll repeat my original question. Does anyone have any experience doing this at a V10 firm?

Thanks

The reason he gave you the advice bub is that at a lot of schools it is an honor code violation, C&F violation, OCS violation, etc. If you've already researched this and are in the clear, fire away. If you're just being lazy, we are trying to make you aware of the consequences.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Thanks

The reason he gave you the advice bub is that at a lot of schools it is an honor code violation, C&F violation, OCS violation, etc. If you've already researched this and are in the clear, fire away. If you're just being lazy, we are trying to make you aware of the consequences.

Uh, you're asking the person that's too lazy to do journal work now that he/she's reaped the benefits if they did their own research?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Renzo wrote:Uh, you're asking the person that's too lazy to do journal work now that he/she's reaped the benefits if they did their own research?

There's a V10 offer involved, so there's either a spark of brightness or a tremendous presentation of cleavage involved as well.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:15 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Renzo wrote:Uh, you're asking the person that's too lazy to do journal work now that he/she's reaped the benefits if they did their own research?

There's a V10 offer involved, so there's either a spark of brightness or a tremendous presentation of cleavage involved as well.

A spark of brightness, or a pattern of shortcuts and asking others to do work for them. Likely a combination of the two, in some proportion.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:43 pm

I have two 3L friends who quit secondary journals about 2 weeks after EIP their 2L year at CLS. They notified their employers (V20 and V50) and they didn't give two craps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 am

For what it's worth, I feel like journals were oversold to me. I'll be staying on board with mine, but frankly I think it's an incredibly overrated experience (so far at least). So I'm a bit sympathetic to the OP.

That being said, man up dude. If you've got an offer in hand, mission accomplished (and arguably the whole point of being on a journal has paid off). Now f=come through on your end of the bargain.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:26 am

Seriously, I got 1 offer through fall recruiting and I'll be damned if I do ANYTHING that jeopardizes that. The last thing I want to be is another ITE story. If OP is confident in his tactics here, more power to him I guess. Fortune does favor the bold.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:27 am

At a V20, I cannot imagine that there would be consequences for quitting a journal, but at a V10 there will be consequences and they will be dire. Totally different situation - good thing you gave us that bit of info.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:52 am

Don't know what it will mean for this summer (probably nothing), but I would imagine it will not bode well for the END of the summer. It shades you in a bad light before you even start (in the words of Ron White, "That boy's got lot of quit in him."), so you are working uphill to improve the firm's view of you enough to get a job. Which is not something you want to have to be doing.

Also, in general this is a douche move. Anyone who pulls this sh*t loses most of my respect right off the bat. So if you care about your professional reputation, I wouldn't do it.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:53 am

If you're just a general member who is doing random packets, I don't think quitting would be an issue at all. Especially if you can replace it with something and spin that as being more in line with your interests (for example, quit the journal and do moot court and say it's a better fit).

If you have a leadership position or a role as an editor, then I think this is rude and ignorant and shows a complete lack of respect for your colleagues' time. I am an editor on a secondary journal and am also on law review, and there have been many moments when I've wanted to tear my hair out and run screaming for a nice swim off the Golden Gate. But I would never quit, for the simple fact that it would be hard to find someone to replace me and to and get him/her up to speed at this stage in the game. It would overburden everyone else on my team, and would essentially tell everyone that I don't care about their lives or what they have going on.

I have a suspicion your situation is the former, though - and I really hope it is.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 am

I feel like this is a very school specific thing and depends on how the journal is structured. At Berkeley, the journals don't have write-ons to be selected and so a lot of them also have a lot of members. One even has 1Ls who do work and then they don't even look at it because it's just for practice. I know a substantial # of people who have quit or not done all their work, and it doesn't seem like anybody really cares, as long as it's not an editor.

rando

Postby rando » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks

Your post really comes off as pretentious and of questionable ethics. You clearly knew going into it that firms use this as a criteria in hiring but you have no intention of actually participating. IMO, such misrepresentation warrants sanctions re; calling employer, notation on transcript, C&F. Regardless of signing a contract.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 am

Oh come on guys. It's a secondary journal. If you didn't have to commit to a year/two years whatever just finish out the issue so you don't fuck your colleagues over and then quit immediately. If the OP doesn't want to be on a journal anymore and looks into whether it has consequences at his school, I doubt a firm will care. They can still put that you were an editor with the Journal of Law and ... on your firm bio and they know as well as we do that being on a secondary journal is no great boon to your legal skills.

At HLS I'm on two journals and they're both so low-key no one would care if I quit. There are plenty of people who want to edit articles and people quit every year for whatever reason. Maybe OP's journal is like this. No need to jump down his/her throat for suggesting quitting something s/he dislikes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:31 am

MrKappus wrote:

It's the only way to obligate yourself to something for which withdrawal has such severe penalties. And yes, to the 1L, at my school we sign a "2-year commitment."

what if you initially never signed the K and no one noticed/said anything/made you sign it and now you're like, well this facking blowwsssss

can they still penalize you?

Return to “Legal Employment”