Drug Tests and Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Patriot1208

Re: Drug Tests and Jobs

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the background checks, what happens if you've experimented once or twice with, say, coke. Are you out of the running if you admit it?

use of things like coke gets pretty iffy. You need to admit it, of course, because you could potentially lose your job, never work in the industry again, and get sued for income you made under a false pretense. But, I think you may be ok once or twice, but in some parts of the DOJ hard drugs are an automatic qualifer. I imagine it will depend on your specific interviewer but it's hit or miss.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TommyK wrote:urine tests often can only detect drugs consumed within the last three days.

hair tests can be accurate for up to 6 months.

Wrong... Urine tests can only detect certain drugs for up to three days... they can detect Marijuana for up to 30 days for a moderate to heavy smoker.

Hair tests are standardized for 3 months. They do this by only testing the inch and a half closest to your scalp (hair grows approx. a half inch per month). However, if the person taking the sample screws up somehow and takes a longer piece, it could potentially go back a year or more, depending on the length of the sample.

Note: I do not use drugs. I just happen to know this information.

This is correct, 30 days is the de facto marijuana testing time.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TommyK wrote:urine tests often can only detect drugs consumed within the last three days.

Wrong... Urine tests can only detect certain drugs for up to three days... they can detect Marijuana for up to 30 days for a moderate to heavy smoker.

Hair tests are standardized for 3 months. They do this by only testing the inch and a half closest to your scalp (hair grows approx. a half inch per month). However, if the person taking the sample screws up somehow and takes a longer piece, it could potentially go back a year or more, depending on the length of the sample.

Eh, w/e... just relaying information that the drug testing facilities I've worked with have told me. I'm confident there are different ways to test and different levels of history it can expose. It's bold to say I'm patently wrong. I think we can both agree that depending on the method, it may vary wildly so to ask the timeframe that's typical so one can time their drug use cessation is silly.

Also, why anonymous? And if anonymous, why do you feel like you need to pre-emptively defend your honor as a non-drug user.

Also, how was what I said wrong? You said that it can test certain drugs within 3 days and that's what I said - often can only test drugs within 3 days. I was setting essentially a minimum and maximum to point out that the question was kind of silly to begin with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 pm

northwood wrote:BTW, some companies test your pee to see if there are any cleaners in it- and if they find them, count it as an automatic positive test ( and dont hire you).

Thing is, the detox drinks aren't "cleaners"... all they do is flush out your system by making you urinate repeatedly before the test, they aren't much different from water. That's why the packaging on those drinks directs the user to continue drinking water after finishing the drink.

In my opinion, based on experience with situations like these, the latest you could quit smoking is 1 week from a test (assuming you don't weigh like 240 lbs or more). Obviously, the earlier the better. At one point someone who isn't me weighed 230lbs and smoked high potency stuff several times per day. This guy did his research, quit 48hrs prior to his test, and passed. Granted, your legal career is at stake here, so you don't want to cut it as close as that guy did.

If you are set on continuing to partake throughout the semester, don't even consider a detox drink, do some research, and find out how you can naturally cleanse your system. Hint: it involves water, vitamin B2/B12, and creatine.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:07 pm

TommyK wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also, how was what I said wrong? You said that it can test certain drugs within 3 days and that's what I said - often can only test drugs within 3 days. I was setting essentially a minimum and maximum to point out that the question was kind of silly to begin with.

Well, I assumed Marijuana is what most people are worried about, which is (give or take) generally detectable for around 4 weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:15 pm

so if an interviewer (at a non-fed gov't organization) tells me that they do fairly extensive background checks on applicants, what should i be expecting? i'm already quitting pot in anticipation of a drug test. but does this mean they are going to question me about all of my past drug use?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:18 pm

expect that all of your references will be called, all of the places you worked at are going to be called about you, and a credit check, in addition to the criminal background check, and probably a drug test.

Now, if they do that- great for them, but sometimes if they want you bad enough, they will just say that and do the credit, criminal and drug check- and hire you. But if there is no outstanding applicatn that wows them hard enough- expect the above. Once you sign that form that gives yoru consent- they can check whatever they want ( as long as its ethical to do so)

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:23 pm

TommyK wrote:Eh, w/e... just relaying information that the drug testing facilities I've worked with have told me. I'm confident there are different ways to test and different levels of history it can expose. It's bold to say I'm patently wrong. I think we can both agree that depending on the method, it may vary wildly so to ask the timeframe that's typical so one can time their drug use cessation is silly.

Also, why anonymous? And if anonymous, why do you feel like you need to pre-emptively defend your honor as a non-drug user.

Detection of marijuana use through urinalysis is different from detection of other drugs because cannabinol is not very water soluble. So it tends to remain in a user's fat cells longer than other recreational drugs. A single-time user might be clean in 3 days, but that's highly unlikely for a regular user. A regular user will probably require several weeks, and it could be even longer for a habitual user with a lot of fat tissue.
Last edited by JazzOne on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 pm

northwood wrote:expect that all of your references will be called, all of the places you worked at are going to be called about you, and a credit check, in addition to the criminal background check, and probably a drug test.

Now, if they do that- great for them, but sometimes if they want you bad enough, they will just say that and do the credit, criminal and drug check- and hire you. But if there is no outstanding applicatn that wows them hard enough- expect the above. Once you sign that form that gives yoru consent- they can check whatever they want ( as long as its ethical to do so)

i'm cool with all of this. if they ask me about my previous drug use (nothing extensive, only some dabbling), i might be in a pickle. i think i'd have to admit that, yes, i've tried a couple things a couple times. sucks that this could cost me the job.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 pm

what have you tried? If you just sampled with some minor things, then you can be fine.
if you were a hardcore user or had to go to rehab- that could be a downer.

as long as you test clean, and didnt get into trouble, or use the recreational drugs too much( say go on a month long coke bender then the next year try herion or something crazy like that), you should be fine

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:28 pm

northwood wrote:what have you tried? If you just sampled with some minor things, then you can be fine.
if you were a hardcore user or had to go to rehab- that could be a downer.

as long as you test clean, and didnt get into trouble, or use the recreational drugs too much( say go on a month long coke bender then the next year try herion or something crazy like that), you should be fine

let's just say i've tried the standard recreational ones floating around on any college campus. never been to rehab, never been addicted or been in trouble in any capacity. i suppose in this case it's best to just own up to it if they ask me. though admitting you did them always sounds worse than it actually was.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 pm

I wouldnt worry too much about it then.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:33 pm

just remember though that the interviewers know that people will downplay their drug and alcohol past. If you admit to using it, they may think that you did it more than you said, and it may raise issues. Now, if you are being hooked up to a lie detector test, then dont like, or expand the truth, but if you are not, and you only tried them once, then yes, your dug use will sound worse than it really was. You could answer it as " One time I was drunk at a party, and someone passed _____ i tried it, and hated it."

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the background checks, what happens if you've experimented once or twice with, say, coke. Are you out of the running if you admit it?

use of things like coke gets pretty iffy. You need to admit it, of course, because you could potentially lose your job, never work in the industry again, and get sued for income you made under a false pretense. But, I think you may be ok once or twice, but in some parts of the DOJ hard drugs are an automatic qualifer. I imagine it will depend on your specific interviewer but it's hit or miss.

The time limit for drug use disclosure on a SF-86 form is 7 years. If your use was before that then it likely won't come up in an interview - unless, as Patriot says, you are working in a particularly drug sensitive part of the DOJ.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so if an interviewer (at a non-fed gov't organization) tells me that they do fairly extensive background checks on applicants, what should i be expecting? i'm already quitting pot in anticipation of a drug test. but does this mean they are going to question me about all of my past drug use?

son you worry too much....you know that??? Let me make it plain for you..when a non-Federal private (except for defense contractors) employer says they'll do an "extensive" background check on you..you need not worry about them interviewing all your pothead friends from college or taking a poly...the most they'll do is a piss test (VERY UNLIKEY for a law firm, but hell anything is possible) .. in which case I'd advise you to stop toking :roll:

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm

northwood wrote:expect that all of your references will be called, all of the places you worked at are going to be called about you, and a credit check, in addition to the criminal background check, and probably a drug test.

hmm I thought the guy said he was looking for non-federal legal employment??

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 pm

he did. However if someone were to say were going to do a extensive background check, i always think it better to assume what i said. That way you are prepared for it, and you have an idea of how things will go ( for better or worse)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:22 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:

hmm I thought the guy said he was looking for non-federal legal employment??

it's a non-fed gov job that has good reason to check up on its employees

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 pm

On a funny note, in the military someone has to observe you take a drug test and usually they just stand in the corner while you pee. One day I had a real hard ass and the dude said "I need to see the specimen leaving your body" - grossest thing that anyone has ever said to me.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:21 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:On a funny note, in the military someone has to observe you take a drug test and usually they just stand in the corner while you pee. One day I had a real hard ass and the dude said "I need to see the specimen leaving your body" - grossest thing that anyone has ever said to me.

I've taken multiple drug tests for sports and work and every time they made me drop my pants to my ankles and watched. It is uncomfortable, to say the least.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:43 am

I don't have much (or any) experience with this - but I would say avoid admitting stuff you've never been caught doing. I think the drug history thing is important if you've been arrested or been in rehab or something - but admitting you tried coke a couple of times at a party is just going to raise red flags. Part of the reason for that is that no one admits that stuff - so if you are honest, they are going to think you have a bigger problem than you do.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 am

rose711 wrote:I don't have much (or any) experience with this - but I would say avoid admitting stuff you've never been caught doing. I think the drug history thing is important if you've been arrested or been in rehab or something - but admitting you tried coke a couple of times at a party is just going to raise red flags. Part of the reason for that is that no one admits that stuff - so if you are honest, they are going to think you have a bigger problem than you do.

This is the absolute worst advice that can be given.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Note: I do not use drugs. I just happen to know this information.

no one cares

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
rose711 wrote:I don't have much (or any) experience with this - but I would say avoid admitting stuff you've never been caught doing. I think the drug history thing is important if you've been arrested or been in rehab or something - but admitting you tried coke a couple of times at a party is just going to raise red flags. Part of the reason for that is that no one admits that stuff - so if you are honest, they are going to think you have a bigger problem than you do.

.why??? honesty isn't always the best policy mr. patriot...sometimes you just gotta STFU and leave things in the past :).

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

My initial reaction was similar to rose's, but I refrained from posting because I really don't know what the ramifications would be for lying to a government employer and getting caught in the lie. However, I kind of side with rose in thinking that it is unwise to admit to illegal activities about which there is no independent verification. If I was in that position, I probably just wouldn't apply to jobs where that issue was likely to come up.

Return to “Legal Employment”