Drug Tests and Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Drug Tests and Jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:10 pm

biglaw doesn't drug test, otherwise there'd be significantly fewer people in biglaw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:biglaw doesn't drug test, otherwise there'd be significantly fewer people in biglaw

Is this credited?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:biglaw doesn't drug test, otherwise there'd be significantly fewer people in biglaw

Is this credited?

I am guessing coke, not weed. Is there a room that everyone does it in when pulling all nighters?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this credited?

I am guessing coke, not weed. Is there a room that everyone does it in when pulling all nighters?

you mean like, a bathroom?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:53 am

Some of the "advice" in this thread makes me /facepalm.

If you try to cheat the test, and you get caught, your career is over. Period. That's a death sentence on C&F.

If you're in a situation where you're going to fail a drug test, then go find a different job. Whole hell of a lot better than ending your career.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Some of the "advice" in this thread makes me /facepalm.

If you try to cheat the test, and you get caught, your career is over. Period. That's a death sentence on C&F.

If you're in a situation where you're going to fail a drug test, then go find a different job. Whole hell of a lot better than ending your career.

Ideally, of course, people should just avoid putting themselves in this position in the first place by doing some homework on whether or not their job drug tests and then, if need be, not smoking pot for a while.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

SBL wrote:

Ideally, of course, people should just avoid putting themselves in this position in the first place by doing some homework on whether or not their job drug tests and then, if need be, not smoking pot for a while.

Sure, I agree. The time things people were suggesting - fine. The other suggestions, on the other hand...

Also, a lot of places that do drug testing are also going to ask about any history of drug use. If you get caught lying there, you're screwed, too.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
SBL wrote:

Sure, I agree. The time things people were suggesting - fine. The other suggestions, on the other hand...

Also, a lot of places that do drug testing are also going to ask about any history of drug use. If you get caught lying there, you're screwed, too.

Yeah, I think anyone looking to get into any kind of govt work would be money ahead to keep off the grass until they figure out the lay of the land, testing-wise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Does a public defender's office seem like the type of government job where one might get tested?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Most urine tests are two step processes. The first uses a simple indicator stip to indicate that mj metabolites may be present, the second uses gas chromatography to confirm that they are if the first step is positive. There are ways to fool the first part and no way to beat the second. Your best bet is to try to make sure the first part comes up negative. The detox kit sometimes work, but some companies now test for the most popular products. Stopping ahead of the test plus a ton of water on the day of the test works just as well. Make sure you use the bathroom right after getting up, drink a lot of water, and take some vitamin B (this makes your urine yellow even if it is really dilluted).

If you are really worried, you can buy the indicator strips online. This could give you a preview of what to expect.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does a public defender's office seem like the type of government job where one might get tested?

Probably, but they'd fire you for not having any marijuana in your urine and not vice versa.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:44 am

Do gov't jobs that test generally test shortly after they make an offer, or is more likely that they test in the summer before you start the job?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do gov't jobs that test generally test shortly after they make an offer, or is more likely that they test in the summer before you start the job?

Shortly after, that way if you fail they have time to get someone else.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 am

Don't take drugs and you'll never have to worry about it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 am

as a general rule of thumb, if you are seeking employment, stop smoking pot until you found it. That way you dont have to worry about the drug test. Its not worth the consequences of having to answer for it later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 pm

northwood wrote:as a general rule of thumb, if you are seeking employment, stop smoking pot until you found it. That way you dont have to worry about the drug test. Its not worth the consequences of having to answer for it later.

that's the plan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:03 pm

thegor1987 wrote:Don't take drugs and you'll never have to worry about it.

but then i'd have to worry about not being able to smoke pot.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04 pm

i know its easier said than done... but if you are still worried about it, I would say stop now, and try to get it out of your system.
BTW, some companies test your pee to see if there are any cleaners in it- and if they find them, count it as an automatic positive test ( and dont hire you).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:07 pm

northwood wrote:i know its easier said than done... but if you are still worried about it, I would say stop now, and try to get it out of your system.
BTW, some companies test your pee to see if there are any cleaners in it- and if they find them, count it as an automatic positive test ( and dont hire you).

this is sound advice. i'm quitting until i get a job offer, and i'll wait for a little while after to see if they're going to test me. though pot certainly makes law school more tolerable.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What's more important to you son, a drug or your career? If you're not able to properly prioritize over some shit like this, then perhaps a legal career (or any other professional career) isn't for you :).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What's more important to you son, a drug or your career? If you're not able to properly prioritize over some shit like this, then perhaps a legal career (or any other professional career) isn't for you :).

i thought the sarcasm was palpable. i guess not.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i thought the sarcasm was palpable. i guess not.

oh....my apologies :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Regarding the background checks, what happens if you've experimented once or twice with, say, coke. Are you out of the running if you admit it?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:59 pm

urine tests often can only detect drugs consumed within the last three days.

hair tests can be accurate for up to 6 months.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:20 pm

TommyK wrote:urine tests often can only detect drugs consumed within the last three days.

hair tests can be accurate for up to 6 months.

Wrong... Urine tests can only detect certain drugs for up to three days... they can detect Marijuana for up to 30 days for a moderate to heavy smoker.

Hair tests are standardized for 3 months. They do this by only testing the inch and a half closest to your scalp (hair grows approx. a half inch per month). However, if the person taking the sample screws up somehow and takes a longer piece, it could potentially go back a year or more, depending on the length of the sample.

Note: I do not use drugs. I just happen to know this information.

Return to “Legal Employment”