Drug Tests and Jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drug Tests and Jobs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:43 pm

If you are a 1l who regularly smokes marijuana, when should you plan on discontinuing use for possible drug tests related to 1l summer employment? I am sure the date will differ for private sector versus non-profits versus judicial work, but I am exploring all three so any information anyone can share would be very helpful.

Please no judgmental comments, everyone knows the pros and cons of marijuana use.

Anonymous User

Re: Drug Tests and Jobs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:48 pm

90% of legal jobs do not drug test. I'm unaware of any firm, judicial internship or non-profit that drug tests. I've only heard of some government positions (especially ones that require security clearance like SEC), pharmaceutical companies, or any other companies that require significant background checks like defense contractors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Have you heard of 'herbal incense'?

Also, keep in mind that moderators can still see who posts messages on here.

Wavelet

New

Post by Wavelet » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 am

For most employers, drug testing is senselessly inefficient. That's why the government does it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:90% of legal jobs do not drug test. I'm unaware of any firm, judicial internship or non-profit that drug tests. I've only heard of some government positions (especially ones that require security clearance like SEC), pharmaceutical companies, or any other companies that require significant background checks like defense contractors.
Drug tests were standard for every intern at the court I interned at my 1L year. I don't know what the window was -- it wasn't something I worried about -- but it is inaccurate to say that only positions with security clearance or significant background checks require such pre-employment tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:52 am

Firms drug testing is almost unheard of. Similarly if you're a research assistant, you have nothing to worry about. Government jobs are touch and go - most don't test, but some do and you don't want to chance it.

If you've got the kind of job that might want to test you, the safest thing to do is quit about a month beforehand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:16 am

Get some detox. They usually sell it at head shops.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Get some detox. They usually sell it at head shops.
haha you said head shops...

oh .....sorry..... I'm high

Ahhhnold

New

Post by Ahhhnold » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:90% of legal jobs do not drug test. I'm unaware of any firm, judicial internship or non-profit that drug tests. I've only heard of some government positions (especially ones that require security clearance like SEC), pharmaceutical companies, or any other companies that require significant background checks like defense contractors.
Drug tests were standard for every intern at the court I interned at my 1L year. I don't know what the window was -- it wasn't something I worried about -- but it is inaccurate to say that only positions with security clearance or significant background checks require such pre-employment tests.
Yup, judicial externships definitely test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am

This stuff doesn't do shit.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 am

Wavelet wrote:For most employers, drug testing is senselessly inefficient. That's why the government does it.
:lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 am

During 1L summer I interned for my state's Attorney General's Office, and this fall I am externing at the SEC. Neither drug-tested. The only place I've ever heard that drug-tested was from one of my friends who worked for the DA over the summer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 am

The more you smoke the longer you need, so it depends on how regular a user you are. If you can, take off 2 months before the test. Then you will be almost certain you will pass and won't be anxious. I've done it in one month though, after pretty habitual use. THC is stored in fat cells, so when you exercise the fat breaks down and releases THC. So a month of lots of exercising is a good idea. But don't exercise a day or two (or three?) before the test, b/c you don't want any more THC to be leaving your system at that point. I think the "drink lots of water" thing is actually overrated (b/c of the fat solubility). You can drink more water than normal the day of the test, but don't go crazy b/c if your "sample" is too diluted, you will have to retake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

djjf39

Bronze

Post by djjf39 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:The more you smoke the longer you need, so it depends on how regular a user you are. If you can, take off 2 months before the test. Then you will be almost certain you will pass and won't be anxious. I've done it in one month though, after pretty habitual use. THC is stored in fat cells, so when you exercise the fat breaks down and releases THC. So a month of lots of exercising is a good idea. But don't exercise a day or two (or three?) before the test, b/c you don't want any more THC to be leaving your system at that point. I think the "drink lots of water" thing is actually overrated (b/c of the fat solubility). You can drink more water than normal the day of the test, but don't go crazy b/c if your "sample" is too diluted, you will have to retake.
This is an OK point, but keep in mind that some people will be unable to shed the pounds necessary to rid themselves of THC cell content.
Anonymous User wrote:
Not true, you must obtain the right sort of system flush kit but they will definitely do the trick. I would go to GNC about two weeks or so in front of the date you expect to be tested, then get a pair of their three-day system cleansing kits. It will be a chunk of change, but from experience I know this method to work. I had a friend pass the NCAA test that athletes sometimes take before being able to play college ball. You both kits during a six day period, then avoid any sort of substances until your test.

If you dislike GNC and want to do it the natural way, then there are several dietary changes that over a longer period of time, I believe a month or so, will similarly clean you out.

Remember, that drugs other than Mary Jane will require different sorts of treatment, and that several methods of testing will not be affect by the GNC regiment, i.e. hair-follicle or blood tests. If it is a simple UA you are worried about passing then go to GNC, drop the coin, and prepare to drink some horrendous shit all in the name of employment.

**Also, do not mention what you are doing at GNC to the people who work there, most of the time they respond negatively.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:38 am

djjf39 wrote: **Also, do not mention what you are doing at GNC to the people who work there, most of the time they respond negatively.
:lol:

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 am

If you smoke daily, i'd stop 3 months or so before you need to piss. If you smoke occasionally, then a week to a month, depending on your paranoia, if it's the FBI or something, you better have stopped before lawl skool

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The more you smoke the longer you need, so it depends on how regular a user you are. If you can, take off 2 months before the test. Then you will be almost certain you will pass and won't be anxious.
It also depends highly how you are "built." I am basically a twig, but was a heavy duty daily smoker for over a decade and I was able to test clean after 10 days. On the other end of the spectrum, I know people who have a few extra pounds on their gut who took over 2 months to test clean.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 pm

my friend who is a 2L had to take a drug test to a get a job (local gov level) for this semester. he was unaware that he ahd to take a test and was informed to drive to a testing place that day in order to be eligible for the job. he left saying he had to 'get back to class' and then drove to a different state to get that synthetic urine stuff. he used it, and passed the test. maybe they didnt actually test it, but i am still shocked about the fake piss working. I personally wouldn't want to risk it, but if you are commited to your vices it might be worth it to look into

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:31 pm

you probably know this already but depending on how frequent you use you should stop 4-5 months out. the half life of thc compounds 100% each use, so if you smoke onece it takes about a week to clear your gi track, 2=2weeks etc. thc is stored in fat so if you do a lot of rigorous running after smoking if you want to prevent buildup/density of thc in your fat. if they do hair tests obviously cut your hair. note on head shop detox kits=total crap. i wouldnt suggest doing this while practicing law at the very least unless you are practicing law in europe or canada, cali or NE coast where its just a ticket.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: everyone knows the pros and cons of marijuana use.
I don't why, but I found this to be a very thought provoking statement...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you probably know this already but depending on how frequent you use you should stop 4-5 months out. the half life of thc compounds 100% each use, so if you smoke onece it takes about a week to clear your gi track, 2=2weeks etc. thc is stored in fat so if you do a lot of rigorous running after smoking if you want to prevent buildup/density of thc in your fat. if they do hair tests obviously cut your hair. note on head shop detox kits=total crap. i wouldnt suggest doing this while practicing law at the very least unless you are practicing law in europe or canada, cali or NE coast where its just a ticket.
Not that it isn't a good idea to be on the safe side, but 4-5 months is pretty excessive. Unless he's facing a hair test (this is RARE), 30 days usually does the trick, even for daily smokers. 45 days can pretty much guarantee passage of a urine test.

Again, I advise that OP not even worry about stopping until (s)he finds a job. Most 1Ls end up in research positions or other jobs that don't test. Even judicial externships don't all test (I know that E.D.CA. doesn't).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Get one of them fake penises and fill it with someone else's urine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm

bk187 wrote:Get one of them fake penises and fill it with someone else's urine.
I know a guy who got a job as a construction safety engineer via this method. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It all depends. I know several people who failed a drug test with detox. On the other hand, I got a buddy who has basically spent every single waking moment high for the past 10 years, and he passed a drug test after taking detox. It seems to be hit or miss with that stuff.
bk187 wrote:Get one of them fake penises and fill it with someone else's urine.
You don't even need to go that far -- they don't watch you in the bathroom for an employment drug test (they only do that for people forced into rehab after an arrest for drugs). Just get someone who is clean to piss into a container for you, and then use that for your drug test. The key is keeping the piss between the right temperature intervals for the drug test. Use a thermos and fill it with hot water and use a thermometer. [Put the piss in a separate container in the thermos filled with hot water.] Get the temp to the high end of the range when you walk into the place, and by the time you get to "piss" it will be at the right temperature. This is by far the most effective way of passing a drug test (besides actually being clean). I got 2 buddies that I passed drug tests for like this (when I hadn't smoked in a while).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Drug tests were standard for every intern at the court I interned at my 1L year. I don't know what the window was -- it wasn't something I worried about -- but it is inaccurate to say that only positions with security clearance or significant background checks require such pre-employment tests.
Yup, that's why I didn't say that (CHECK YOU READING COMPREHENSION). Drug testing must vary in courts by area of the country. I had many friends who interned at courts (Federal, State Supreme Courts, Federal Appeals, etc.) and none of them had drug tests. I also had a friend who worked at the SEC and was drug tested (apparently another poster was not tested at the SEC)... so it all depends.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”