Do government legal positions offer veteran preference?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ascend

Do government legal positions offer veteran preference?

Postby Ascend » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:57 pm

I know from my time in the military that a lot of gov't jobs, from doctors to janitors, advertised that preference would be afforded to veterans, but I was curious if legal jobs for the federal gov't ever did this as well? Also, can you count your years of active military service toward your federal employee retirement years? I know you can with many of the jobs I've seen advertised in the past.

ViIIager

Re: Do government legal positions offer veteran preference?

Postby ViIIager » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 am

Yes and yes.

Also, since you haven't been to USAJOBS (http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/) before, you might want to go there and look at job postings for attorney positions. They answer both of your questions on pretty much every one of their postings and also provide contact information for HR Feds who can answer more complex questions.

Return to “Legal Employment”