Different Region

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Different Region

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:14 pm

I am currently applying to internships outside of my school's region. My school is a T25 law school but does not have national reach. The reasons for wanting to work in a different region are numerous, but the most important have to do with the proximity to close friends and a long term girlfriend of (2 years). The regions in question are the Greater Boston and Greater NYC area. My question is this, when I am writing my cover letter for these firms, especially the ones in NYC, should I mention my long term girlfriend (who lives on Long Island) as a fiance or girlfriend? Given my age I do not want to make it look like I am allowing a romantic relationship to change my future, and be looked down upon as immature, or something like that. However, I believe the reason shows a greater interest in the region than just liking New York City, and have been led to believe it is wise to include it.

bostlaw

Re: Different Region

Postby bostlaw » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm

But is she your fiance? 1) dont lie 2) dont lie and then have to pretend that your gf is your fiance for who knows how long causing a pretty weird situation.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:19 pm

NYC doesn't care about ties. Boston does, and Long Island's not a tie to Massachusetts (go figure).

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:25 pm

From what I've seen, a girlfriend or fiance is not the type of tie you discuss in the cover letter. I didn't get an interview from any of the cover letters I did that in. I later read Guerilla Tactics, and in it the author said that unless the girl is a wife, don't mention it in a cover letter.

I have however been able to discuss my SO in interviews with a great deal of success. In an interview you can better control the perception you want the listener to have of you and the relationship. PM me and we can talk about what worked for me in this regard.

Return to “Legal Employment”