CCN Students without Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CCN Students without Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:16 pm

How many of us are out there? What are you doing to get a job at this point?

I'm still waiting on four firms from EIW/OCI, but every day that passes takes a major toll on my hope. I don't want to do public-interest or government and it seems like even secondary/mid-market firms are wrapping up recruiting at this point. Anyone else starting to feel like law school was a bad choice?

Re: CCN Students without Offers

Postby 20160810 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Did you mass mail?

If so, sorry dude. If not, no sympathy. You make your own luck.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many of us are out there? What are you doing to get a job at this point?

I'm still waiting on four firms from EIW/OCI, but every day that passes takes a major toll on my hope. I don't want to do public-interest or government and it seems like even secondary/mid-market firms are wrapping up recruiting at this point. Anyone else starting to feel like law school was a bad choice?

The bad choice was relying solely on OCI. Why oh why would anyone ever do this?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many of us are out there? What are you doing to get a job at this point?

Why do you think he relied solely on OCI?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Why do you think he relied solely on OCI?

You're right, I was wrong to assume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:51 pm

I did not rely solely on OCI. I could go into more detail, but the purpose of the thread was not to discuss what I've done so far, but where other CCN students are at this point and what avenues they are pursuing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:00 pm

I am also a CNN student with no offers. I did a late mass mailing of about 200 firms, and got so far one call back out of it. Aside from that, and applying to job postings through career services I am not sure what there is to do. The thing that would help me the most, I think, is if I had some better understanding of the reasons for my failure thus far. Career services has been quite unhelpful in that regard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am also a CNN student with no offers. I did a late mass mailing of about 200 firms, and got so far one call back out of it. Aside from that, and applying to job postings through career services I am not sure what there is to do. The thing that would help me the most, I think, is if I had some better understanding of the reasons for my failure thus far. Career services has been quite unhelpful in that regard.

I'm sure CSO would do a practice interview with you if you asked. That might reveal a problem of some sort. I'm at CCN as well, top 1/3 with only one (late-arriving) offer. I think it was just a tough year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, I did one. It was not terribly helpful, but I did get some pointers. I was really hoping that they would point out some horrifying flaw in my interviewing that would explain all my problems, but alas no such luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:08 pm

You can still apply to good jobs (Goldman/McKinsey) with the CCN law degree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Below median, journal, semi-decent resume. Zero offers. There are few firms that I haven't mailed yet. I've done three practice interviews, all with positive feedback. Seriously considering dropping out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm

dropping out...this might not be the same, but I know a guy who did the Master of Business Taxation at USC...it's a one year program...in the past (pre-recession), 99% of students going through on-campus recruiting were placed (most, like 70% going to Big Four)...last year (fall '09), the number fell to 52%...upset that he didn't place, he dropped out, not wanting to spend another $20K

gradeon

Postby gradeon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:28 pm

SBL wrote:Did you mass mail?

If so, sorry dude. If not, no sympathy. You make your own luck.

This is a really rude response. I don't believe he/she ever asked for your sympathy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Throw me in this boat. I'm not bottom third or anything like that either. Right in the middle. I have been mailing with no results. I'm starting to just call and try and barge my way in to an interview. At first this wasn't bothering me but it is pretty hard with everyone talking about where they are accepting.

I know maybe 6 or so kids in my situation. Seems like just random bad luck. Some people had 1 CB and got an offer, others had 10 CBs and no offer. I had 2 and was just rejected at both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:36 pm

I am the above poster. For the record I have never even considered dropping out. though if I wasn't on a good scholarship I might. The plain fact is that coming from these schools you will not starve, though I have said if anyone can do it it's probably me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:52 pm

While I know this can't help you now, it might not be your interviewing skills - it might just have been your bid list.

Anyway, OCS over-emphasizes the personality and making eye contact and confidence and bullshit soft interviewing skills. Those are important but what might be the most helpful right now is having OCS look over your cover letters and ask them for the contact info of 3Ls who succeeded in mass mailing. Ask those 3Ls to look over your resume and cover letters too.

There's also 3L EIP. I'm not being sarcastic. I know of at least one V5 that hired multiple people and they weren't all V30 summers looking to trade up.

dcgbm

Postby dcgbm » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:59 pm

ccn hopeful 0L here,

damn, i thought the consensus was pre-economy fail: t14 safe, post economy-fail: t6 safe...

DeweyWins

Postby DeweyWins » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ccn hopeful 0L here,

damn, i thought the consensus was pre-economy fail: t14 safe, post economy-fail: t6 safe...

Err no. I think the consensus nowadays is that Yale is safe. That's about it.

boalt2l

Postby boalt2l » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 pm

If you guys are thinking about dropping out because you have no job in October of your 2L year, you are being totally foolish. You should have dropped out even if you got a job, because you might get no-offered. What if you got an offer, and the firms decides to revoke your 3L year? If you really think that working at Biglaw is the only way to success as a lawyer, you should drop out, because you are an idiot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:17 pm

DeweyWins wrote:

Anonymous again provides the credited response.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:11 pm

T-6 safe - LOLOLOLOLOL

*I came here to post this*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DeweyWins wrote:

Not quite. Good friend there struck out.

Granted, he has a PhD and a resume that screams academia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
DeweyWins wrote:

Not quite. Good friend there struck out.

Granted, he has a PhD and a resume that screams academia.

I want to say that medical school is the only path with a fairly good guarantee for employment, but then I'd sound like someone from JD Underground, and I'm not quite at that point yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:49 pm

no offer yet either, from CCN.
i guess i should work at a public interest organization this summer. one thing that i really dislike about this prospect is that i'll be doing something that any 1Ls can do as well.

green

Postby green » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:no offer yet either, from CCN.
i guess i should work at a public interest organization this summer. one thing that i really dislike about this prospect is that i'll be doing something that any 1Ls can do as well.

...aaannnd I'm sure they're gonna love you in public service.

Return to “Legal Employment”