Question about resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about resume

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Ok, my resume is horrible. 3.3 gpa from UG and barely any activities during UG. work experience is awful (subway, bagel shops, private tutoring). no legal related experiences at all.

This is crappy even for a 22 year old right? I'm guessing 1L grades need to be top notch to get anything going this summer?

Dec 1st is slowly creeping up and I am worried as hell that I won't even have a shot at anything this summer.

Any suggestions on making my resume better?

IzziesGal

Re: Question about resume

Postby IzziesGal » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:43 pm

First, do not panic. I bet there is something in your past that you can spin to sell yourself to a legal organization. When you say "barely any orgs" in undergrad, what exactly do you mean? What stuff did you participate in? What did you major in? Maybe you can spin that? If you truly have nothing, then try focusing on what you used for your personal statement. Obviously the ad comms believed you wanted to be a lawyer and had the right motivation for it, so maybe you can use some of that in your interviews and cover letters.

Second, there are a lot of people who went straight through from undergrad to law school, so you are by no means alone. I would try talking to some 2Ls who were in your situation last year to get some advice.

Lastly, give us some more info about yourself so we can help you better. There's not a lot to go on in your initial post. Good luck! :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 pm

IzziesGal wrote:First, do not panic. I bet there is something in your past that you can spin to sell yourself to a legal organization. When you say "barely any orgs" in undergrad, what exactly do you mean? What stuff did you participate in? What did you major in? Maybe you can spin that? If you truly have nothing, then try focusing on what you used for your personal statement. Obviously the ad comms believed you wanted to be a lawyer and had the right motivation for it, so maybe you can use some of that in your interviews and cover letters.

Second, there are a lot of people who went straight through from undergrad to law school, so you are by no means alone. I would try talking to some 2Ls who were in your situation last year to get some advice.

Lastly, give us some more info about yourself so we can help you better. There's not a lot to go on in your initial post. Good luck! :D

Thanks Izzy, I was initially a finance/econ double major hopeful and participated in groups that pertained to that area. But I wasn't really active when I found out I couldn't be finance/econ and that GPA is what mattered for law school admissions (completely gave up extracurricular activities). Major was sociology (again for GPA boosting purposes). I did focus on sociology of law but was more on theories and concepts than anything with practical value. My PS was about my family being scammed by an immigration lawyer (it was a decent sized scam that occurred in DC). But other than that my PS focused more on my personality/character than "why" i wanted to be a lawyer.

And my work experience literally consists of subway, bagel shop, and PSAT/SAT private tutoring. and minimal awards because of my 3.33 GPA.

I mean, I know that having something legal related during the summer between 1L and 2L is helpful but is it really necessary to land a nice internship (between 2L and 3L years) that can lead to a solid job?

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:First, do not panic. I bet there is something in your past that you can spin to sell yourself to a legal organization. When you say "barely any orgs" in undergrad, what exactly do you mean? What stuff did you participate in? What did you major in? Maybe you can spin that? If you truly have nothing, then try focusing on what you used for your personal statement. Obviously the ad comms believed you wanted to be a lawyer and had the right motivation for it, so maybe you can use some of that in your interviews and cover letters.

Thanks Izzy, I was initially a finance/econ double major hopeful and participated in groups that pertained to that area. But I wasn't really active when I found out I couldn't be finance/econ and that GPA is what mattered for law school admissions (completely gave up extracurricular activities). Major was sociology (again for GPA boosting purposes). I did focus on sociology of law but was more on theories and concepts than anything with practical value. My PS was about my family being scammed by an immigration lawyer (it was a decent sized scam that occurred in DC). But other than that my PS focused more on my personality/character than "why" i wanted to be a lawyer.

And my work experience literally consists of subway, bagel shop, and PSAT/SAT private tutoring. and minimal awards because of my 3.33 GPA.

I mean, I know that having something legal related during the summer between 1L and 2L is helpful but is it really necessary to land a nice internship (between 2L and 3L years) that can lead to a solid job?

To reiterate, don't panic. Legal employers do not expect you to have legal experience before your 1L year, the vast majority of law students don't have any legal experience until their 1L summer. Second, bear in mind do not be devastated if you can't land a SA during your 1L year, they are nearly non existent and VERY competitive (largely depends on what school you are at and how high your grades are). That said, if you don't get one shoot for an externship with a judge or something along those lines (something that gives you some legal exposure to talk about).

Most importantly, to answer your final question about your 2L summer, it depends. If you are wanting biglaw, then a 2L SA is very important to get. 3L law firm OCI is very tough, picky, and largely non-existant. If you are looking for PI, then I would look to apply to PI fellowships, try to get PI work. If gov't, those are very competitive, but not getting one does not lock you out of them after graduation. I hope this helps, in sum, law firms really want to hire their 2L SAs, so if a firm is your bag of tea, go hard after an SA 2L summer. Hope this makes some sense and helps a little.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:01 pm

I don't want to take a dump on your dreams or anything, but you seem like the perfect candidate for someone who should have taken a few years off to work between UG and law school.

That being said, why don't you get involved in student organizations at your law school? Especially considering that you were a sociology major, law school student orgs can help make it clear to someone reading your resume where your interests are. Its pretty easy to get on a committee with a fancy sounding title in return for taking on pretty minimal responsibilities.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, my resume is horrible. 3.3 gpa from UG and barely any activities during UG. work experience is awful (subway, bagel shops, private tutoring). no legal related experiences at all.

This is crappy even for a 22 year old right? I'm guessing 1L grades need to be top notch to get anything going this summer?

Dec 1st is slowly creeping up and I am worried as hell that I won't even have a shot at anything this summer.

Any suggestions on making my resume better?

Don't include your UG GPA, do include any work experience, and list some interests that are actually interesting (and which you are actually interested in) so the person reading your resume actually wants to find out more about you. Specificity helps here. Music and art are not interesting. Alabaster carving and Ethiopian drumming are.

If you don't have legal experience, the most important thing for your resume to do is to (a) make you sound like a hard worker who people would want around for a summer, and, hoping that's enough to get you an interview somewhere, (b) provide things for you and your interviewer to talk about.

Also, you don't need legal experience to be a summer research assistant, which is what a lot of 1Ls do their first summer.

frost

Postby frost » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:20 am

You shouldn't be too worried about your 1L summer in terms of how it'll look to a potential employer for your 2L summer. When it comes time to 2L hiring, I can't overstate the importance of your first year grades. People who are top of the class that came straight through from college and didn't have any real work experience, can easily secure multiple offers from top firms (as long as they're not awkward in interviews). That said though, you should try to get legal experience this summer. As someone mentioned, a research assistant is a good way to do it. Some schools have study abroad programs where you learn law and also place you in an externship. You can mass mail judges, go to job fairs - just take on as many opportunities as you can, practice your interviewing skills, and you will be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:02 pm

frost wrote:You shouldn't be too worried about your 1L summer in terms of how it'll look to a potential employer for your 2L summer. When it comes time to 2L hiring, I can't overstate the importance of your first year grades. People who are top of the class that came straight through from college and didn't have any real work experience, can easily secure multiple offers from top firms (as long as they're not awkward in interviews). That said though, you should try to get legal experience this summer. As someone mentioned, a research assistant is a good way to do it. Some schools have study abroad programs where you learn law and also place you in an externship. You can mass mail judges, go to job fairs - just take on as many opportunities as you can, practice your interviewing skills, and you will be fine.

Tangential but important: there's a little more to it than "not being awkward". I thought it was pretty much just grades. If you peruse the rest of this forum, plenty of T14 students have crashed and burned in OCI, including many substantially above median. For your 2L search, you really need to block off some time over the summer to think hard about bidding strategy, mailing strategy, firm research, and so on.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:02 pm

thanks guys. maybe i can actually spin the subway experience

I was the general manager of the store. my pops was the franchisee but i basically hired/interviewed/trained and sometimes even fired employees. Also I took care of all the communication between HQ and taking care of customer complaints. When i was home during break i was at the store but during the school year i took care of store issues via email and phone.

maybe that will help?

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thanks guys. maybe i can actually spin the subway experience

I was the general manager of the store. my pops was the franchisee but i basically hired/interviewed/trained and sometimes even fired employees. Also I took care of all the communication between HQ and taking care of customer complaints. When i was home during break i was at the store but during the school year i took care of store issues via email and phone.

maybe that will help?

This shows the real problem here: you're underselling yourself. You spend so much energy focused on what your resume is lacking that you lose track of the good stuff. You tell us you worked at Subway. I assumed, and I'm guessing everyone else here did as well, that you made sandwiches. That does nothing for your resume. But running the store? That be spun in all kinds of ways related to the legal field: working with others, organization, being detail-oriented, working with unhappy customers/clients, etc. Grades are important, but you've got to SELL yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:34 am

Would I just indicate on the resume that I was a general manager? and list duties briefly?

Possibly expand on it during interviews? I'm just concerned that i wont be able to sell myself on paper (i.e. mass mailing).

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thanks guys. maybe i can actually spin the subway experience

maybe that will help?

That's good stuff for sure.

And menial jobs aren't necessarily bad. Spin spin spin my friend. You worked at Subway? Okay - you don't mind getting your hands dirty and doing the work that needs to be done. You're confident in your abilities, but you aren't arrogant and can swallow your ego and do what's necessary to further the goals of the organization - whether that takes glamorous work or doc review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:40 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:

maybe that will help?

That's good stuff for sure.

And menial jobs aren't necessarily bad. Spin spin spin my friend. You worked at Subway? Okay - you don't mind getting your hands dirty and doing the work that needs to be done. You're confident in your abilities, but you aren't arrogant and can swallow your ego and do what's necessary to further the goals of the organization - whether that takes glamorous work or doc review.

thanks, but where should i spin that? during the interview? i mean would have those jobs on the resume even get me an interview?

king3780

Postby king3780 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would I just indicate on the resume that I was a general manager? and list duties briefly?

Possibly expand on it during interviews? I'm just concerned that i wont be able to sell myself on paper (i.e. mass mailing).

I would use store manager. At least for me, general manager has the connotation of a higher position, like someone who runs multiple stores. The resume item would look something like below:

Experience
March 2007-October 2009, Subway, store manager, Bumblebee, AL
- Selected and trained employees
- Maintained inventory by daily inspection and calculation of future needs
- Utilized people skills to respond to customer complaints
- Served as liason with corporate headquarters

Return to “Legal Employment”