How much do biglaw lawyers make?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Aqualibrium

Re: How much do biglaw lawyers make?

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I will say though, having it happen the other way around is much worse for your chances at the firm you are on the call back for. Got the call with my offer from a firm while I was traveling from the airport to another firm for a call back. It just completely killed that trip, because I was thinking about the offer firm the whole time. The callback firm rejected me by mail within a few days of me getting back, which means they probably mailed the letter the day after my visit. Harsh.

I know receiving an offer is always a good thing, but if I had wanted the call back firm I can see how it might have screwed thing up for me. However, luckily in this instance I probably would never have gone on the call back if I already had the offer, so I don't really care.

I was the opposite. Once I got the first offer, everything was easy after that.

Ahhhnold

Postby Ahhhnold » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:21 pm

JazzOne wrote:Here is the post on JDU that really shook me. It was written by a poster called jeremiahwright.

Subject: Questions for victims of the purported law school scam

What the hell did you intend to do with your law degree once you got out?

In a profession that values preparation, due diligence, attention to detail, pursuit of the truth (whatever that is), trusting in your self, it is astounding that there could be so many out there that claim they had none of these virtues when they filled out their applications and signed over those student loan checks.

Really, if you failed that miserably in peeling away the layers of the law school onion, what the hell kind of law do you expect you should be practicing?

Mergers and acquisitions, complex trial work, capital murder cases? Really, what the hell are you qualified to do in the first place. I sure as hell wouldn't want you helping me prepare a cross examination of some expert if you couldn't see past the administrators over at some ttt. If you couldn't find the fraud in the law school brochures, what good would you be if you were working on a deal when CNN buys out Fox News. Same as representing some scmuck down south where they have the dna mixed up and they don't give a damn, they just want a conviction, if you trust the law school deans, you gonna trust the state police crime lab's report or you gonna maybe examine every detail of it and get the guy off.

I keep hearing this shit, I got scammed blah blah blah and I can't help but think what kind of lawyer you would make if you were actually given a case or a deal to see through to the end.

I read that, and I thought to myself, "why the hell would anyone trust me with a multi-million dollar case when I don't look, act, or think like a professional attorney?" You have to inspire confidence. You have to be a salesman. You have to be a people person whether you like it or not. You have to project competence, and you have to deliver.

Gotta sell yourself like the Shamwow guy.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Ahhhnold wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Here is the post on JDU that really shook me. It was written by a poster called jeremiahwright.

In a profession that values preparation, due diligence, attention to detail, pursuit of the truth (whatever that is), trusting in your self, it is astounding that there could be so many out there that claim they had none of these virtues when they filled out their applications and signed over those student loan checks.

Really, if you failed that miserably in peeling away the layers of the law school onion, what the hell kind of law do you expect you should be practicing?

Mergers and acquisitions, complex trial work, capital murder cases? Really, what the hell are you qualified to do in the first place. I sure as hell wouldn't want you helping me prepare a cross examination of some expert if you couldn't see past the administrators over at some ttt. If you couldn't find the fraud in the law school brochures, what good would you be if you were working on a deal when CNN buys out Fox News. Same as representing some scmuck down south where they have the dna mixed up and they don't give a damn, they just want a conviction, if you trust the law school deans, you gonna trust the state police crime lab's report or you gonna maybe examine every detail of it and get the guy off.

I keep hearing this shit, I got scammed blah blah blah and I can't help but think what kind of lawyer you would make if you were actually given a case or a deal to see through to the end.

I read that, and I thought to myself, "why the hell would anyone trust me with a multi-million dollar case when I don't look, act, or think like a professional attorney?" You have to inspire confidence. You have to be a salesman. You have to be a people person whether you like it or not. You have to project competence, and you have to deliver.

Gotta sell yourself like the Shamwow guy.

Exactly. You're gonna love my nuts.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:27 pm

JazzOne wrote:Good points. And just to tie it back to my advice, this kind of response isn't something you make up on the spot. It's something you craft behind the scenes before you even show up for the interview.

Right, though how much you should prepare depends on your personality. I'm definitely a "listener" in your dichotomy and it hurt me to over-prepare. In my first few interviews I really did a lot of research and outlined my answers and I think I ended up coming across as very mechanical. After that I stuck to a very simple approach: three points about myself I wanted to convey, and three facts about each interviewer. This worked a lot better for me, but then again I'm naturally very chatty and don't have trouble winging a conversation.
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Absolutely. You need to project that you're a grown up. Most law students can't do this: they vacillate about what practice area they want, prattle about how they'd love to try all these different things, say stupid things like: "I want to work at a firm for a few years then go do PI" (*facepalm*). Or they err on the opposite side of the coin and come across as an aggressive self-important douche you'd never want to work with.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:23 pm

pocket herc wrote:
The main thing is, Medicine doesn't worth it anymore as salaries are going downfall and working hours going up.
Obama fucked up the healthcare system even more and wants to see Doctors get treated like shit just like the burger guy in McDs.

haha, are you drunk or retarded?

None of both, do you have a decent IQ ?

Go ask any Physician out there if the job is getting screwed as years pass.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:27 pm

rayiner wrote:

Absolutely. You need to project that you're a grown up. Most law students can't do this: they vacillate about what practice area they want, prattle about how they'd love to try all these different things, say stupid things like: "I want to work at a firm for a few years then go do PI" (*facepalm*). Or they err on the opposite side of the coin and come across as an aggressive self-important douche you'd never want to work with.

So what you're saying is... TCR should be:

"I'm here to make money. Not only to make myself money - to make you money. I'm all about the bottom line and if that means having to work 90 hours a week to do so, then that's what has to happen. I'll also meet whatever rainmaking criteria you set in practice of continuing said 'making of money.'"

Naw, *THAT* couldn't be biglaw.

Return to “Legal Employment”