what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:46 am

for first year associates?
edit^ shitlaw included

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:23 am

Nothing = I'm serious

User avatar
Dr. Van Nostrand
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Nothing = I'm serious


WOW. I heard of some small shops in really tiny markets paying as low as 45k starting, but not nothing. I don't understand why you would take it? Is it contingency fee based?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 am

I guess if you have no other firm options and you really want to do firm work, it is a good idea.

I wouldn't do it or recommend it.

But that's me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:14 am

Lowest I know of is 55k in NYC.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:13 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Nothing = I'm serious


WOW. I heard of some small shops in really tiny markets paying as low as 45k starting, but not nothing. I don't understand why you would take it? Is it contingency fee based?


Lowest you've heard is 45k? Wow. Thats a lot actually. I've heard 32k.

User avatar
Dr. Van Nostrand
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:15 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Nothing = I'm serious


WOW. I heard of some small shops in really tiny markets paying as low as 45k starting, but not nothing. I don't understand why you would take it? Is it contingency fee based?


Lowest you've heard is 45k? Wow. Thats a lot actually. I've heard 32k.



What kind of market?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Nothing = I'm serious


WOW. I heard of some small shops in really tiny markets paying as low as 45k starting, but not nothing. I don't understand why you would take it? Is it contingency fee based?


Lowest you've heard is 45k? Wow. Thats a lot actually. I've heard 32k.



What kind of market?


Boston.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 am

NYC and NJ Shitlaw can pay as low as 35K... But that's on the extreme. Typical entry level shitlaw will pay 40 to 45k. I had friends that were religated to this... (Go SJU, NYLS, BLS and Carschmozo!), and from what I gather, killself is the better option, as you work just as hard as you do in Biglaw, for 1/4 or 1/5 of the money... And then you get to how the "partners" treat the "associates."

User avatar
Dr. Van Nostrand
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:10 am

reasonable_man wrote:NYC and NJ Shitlaw can pay as low as 35K... But that's on the extreme. Typical entry level shitlaw will pay 40 to 45k. I had friends that were religated to this... (Go SJU, NYLS, BLS and Carschmozo!), and from what I gather, killself is the better option, as you work just as hard as you do in Biglaw, for 1/4 or 1/5 of the money... And then you get to how the "partners" treat the "associates."


Yep, this is exactly what I've heard. I knew a guy who took one of these jobs, makes 40-45k, works the same amount of hours as biglaw. That said, he seems to really enjoy the work environment so I can't speak to how the partners treat him, I presume ok.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Bosque » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:34 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Nothing = I'm serious


WOW. I heard of some small shops in really tiny markets paying as low as 45k starting, but not nothing. I don't understand why you would take it? Is it contingency fee based?


I've heard of nothing. Typically, it happens in really small shops in really small markets (1-2 partner firms which might employ 10 people total). It is an extended job interview. You work for a certain number of months for free with the understanding that if you prove yourself, you will get hired on as a salaried member of the firm.

It is kind of a necessity for these small firms. They don't have the money to hire on associates only to have them leave in a year, so they can't be sinking money into them while they are still pretty useless. Also, they don't have to/get to hire every year like the big firms do, so they are a lot more careful about it.

That said, I would never do it myself. If it came to that, I would be getting a job doing something else. Hell, I think I would go to culinary school first. Or go try out for the Blizzard creative team. Or just go back and work in Engineering. You gotta REALLY want to work as a lawyer in Podunk, USA to put yourself through the ringer for these jobs. Or else be incredibly desperate with no marketable skills.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:43 am

buddy did a cb at pitt/cinci firm summer 3k for 10 weeks. 35k starting.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Bosque » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:buddy did a cb at pitt/cinci firm summer 3k for 10 weeks. 35k starting.


$3,000 total for ten weeks of work? WOW. That is less than Biglaw pays in a week. In fact, that is only half of what they should be getting if the salary was prorated like it usually is. That's brutal.

phillylawgrad
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby phillylawgrad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 am

I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:05 pm

phillylawgrad wrote:I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.


This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc.

User avatar
Inmilex
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Inmilex » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Salary? At a lot of small firms, you eat what you kill. You don't get salary, you work on commission. Most attorneys newly farted out of the law skkkool machine suck money from a firm like a cokehead lottery winner, and have no idea how actually to practice law. This profession, for 90% of practitioners, is first and foremost about sales. You'd better be good at it, or enjoy the last few years of doc review before it's all outsourced to India.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Inmilex wrote:Salary? At a lot of small firms, you eat what you kill. You don't get salary, you work on commission. Most attorneys newly farted out of the law skkkool machine suck money from a firm like a cokehead lottery winner, and have no idea how actually to practice law. This profession, for 90% of practitioners, is first and foremost about sales. You'd better be good at it, or enjoy the last few years of doc review before it's all outsourced to India.


What if you don't have any sales skills?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby im_blue » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:34 am

reasonable_man wrote:
phillylawgrad wrote:I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.


This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc.

Could a well-below-median T14 or T30 grad easily get such $45-50k jobs with 40-50 hour weeks?

User avatar
tryster0
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby tryster0 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:26 am

reasonable_man wrote:
phillylawgrad wrote:I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.


This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc. I'm a douche.


Fixed

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:32 am

Is a firm legit if they want YOU to pay THEM to work there? I got an offer from one such firm.

User avatar
tryster0
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby tryster0 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 am

Is the firm called Gotti Gambini & Corleone? Cuz if so, then yes.

User avatar
Dr. Van Nostrand
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is a firm legit if they want YOU to pay THEM to work there? I got an offer from one such firm.


Haha, I'd like to hear what the terms of this offer were. Ouch.

User avatar
Ahhhnold
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Ahhhnold » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:54 am

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is a firm legit if they want YOU to pay THEM to work there? I got an offer from one such firm.


Haha, I'd like to hear what the terms of this offer were. Ouch.


Ouchie-Momma!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:02 am

I worked as a paralegal at small-town shitlaw before law school. Regional firm, about 15 attorneys in a few small offices.

New associates were not on salary. Pay for new associates (and all non-partner attorneys) was a complex formulation of hours billed/your negotiated percentage cut of your hourly rate/whether the client's account had been paid. Basically, associates were paid for hours they billed IF AND ONLY IF the client paid, at which point they would receive their cut of their billables for that client (typically 35 to 40 percent of an average new associate hourly rate of $275).

So paychecks tended to vary a lot. I heard of people not getting a paycheck in some months, or piddly ones like $800. Most months you were pulling in a (relatively) more reasonable 4,5,6k. It was all over the place though. I would estimate if you took a year, the lowest someone could make would be $35k to $40k (since any attorney would have to be total dumbass to agree to work for less than I was making as a paralegal/receptionist).

Senior attorneys were, however, notorious for drilling free work out of the newbies. Sticking them with three hours a day of phone calls from potential clients (unbillable, particularly if they don't sign up), etc. Or the partners would take a client, work the case until the retainer ran out and then punt it to someone else, and let a junior take the risk that they wouldn't get paid.

(Anon because it'd be totally obvious who I am based on previous posts on TLS, and I don't plan on spoiling my reference.)

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: what is the lowest salary you've heard a firm pay

Postby bigben » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:40 pm

tryster0 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
phillylawgrad wrote:I'm a 2010 grad and I make ~$45k at a very small firm. However I only work 9-5. My salary is not especially low for a recent grad in a small firm. The lowest I have heard of is $20k but $35k is not uncommon. These are the type of jobs that most grads will be looking at to start.


This is not uncommon at all.. Earning 65k to start and moving up to 80k in my second year has put me some 25 ro 35k ahead of most of the people I graduated with in 2008 from my school or equall TTTs like SJU, BLS, etc. I'm a douche.


Fixed

lolwut




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.