Possible to "lateral" after 2L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tree

Possible to "lateral" after 2L summer?

Postby Tree » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Is it possible to work in a non-biglaw firm 2L summer and after graduation to pursue a different kind of work in a different state altogether?

How about going not just into a different state but:
1. going into a similarly smaller firm, or
2. going public sector
3. going in house

Will going firm in state X 2L summer foreclose the other options?

Dr. Van Nostrand

Re: Possible to "lateral" after 2L summer?

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Tree wrote:Is it possible to work in a non-biglaw firm 2L summer and after graduation to pursue a different kind of work in a different state altogether?

How about going not just into a different state but:
1. going into a similarly smaller firm, or
2. going public sector
3. going in house

Will going firm in state X 2L summer foreclose the other options?

While I don't pretend to know the affirmative answers to these questions, I would think it would look somewhat strange to the next firm you apply to why you didn't try for there the previous summer. From what I understand 3L OCI is WAY harder than 2L, so I am just not sure why you would want to do that to yourself. Long story short, I wouldn't accept an offer you don't like for your 2L summer.

Tree

Postby Tree » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm

OK, what if it's between the only firm who got back and fishing in the public sector in your "target post grad market"?

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Tree wrote:OK, what if it's between the only firm who got back and fishing in the public sector in your "target post grad market"?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean "the only firm that got back"??

Tree

Postby Tree » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Indicates dings from all but one firm, who offered.
That one firm is in a small city in Missouri, but I want to be in Texas after graduation.
I got dinged in all texas firms. But there is a chance I could pick up a public sector job next summer though it would not be the kind where they give you a full-time after graduation.
Based on that, does it make sense to go to the firm

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 am

Tree wrote:Indicates dings from all but one firm, who offered.
That one firm is in a small city in Missouri, but I want to be in Texas after graduation.
I got dinged in all texas firms. But there is a chance I could pick up a public sector job next summer though it would not be the kind where they give you a full-time after graduation.
Based on that, does it make sense to go to the firm

That is a personal decision. If you want to be in Texas badly, have you thought about roughing it and volunteering somewhere just to establish connections? I know that doesn't seem like an attractive decision to make, but it doesn't make sense to go to a job if you know you don't like it/don't like where you will be. It is also possible that you take the firm job and really enjoy it and want to stay there.

I guess this boils down to what is most important to you, having a paying job (that hopefully will provide a paying upon graduation job) or living where you want to live. Personal call.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:12 am

From what I'm hearing, lateraling between firms seems like a much better bet than lateraling from some other kind of employment to a firm. I would take the MO offer if that's the best firm job you have, plan to work there a few years, then look at firms/in-house positions in Texas.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Would you rather be employed in Mo or unemployed in Tx? There's no right answer, only a personal preference.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:43 pm

...it wouldn't be a lateral. You don't need to accept employment with a firm you were with during your 2L summer, but you also wouldn't be classified as having been an associate there. When you're applying to places after that experience, you're still a law student or a new grad and you don't have the requisite experience to qualify as a "lateral."

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:46 pm

blurbz wrote:...it wouldn't be a lateral. You don't need to accept employment with a firm you were with during your 2L summer, but you also wouldn't be classified as having been an associate there. When you're applying to places after that experience, you're still a law student or a new grad and you don't have the requisite experience to qualify as a "lateral."

True.

I was a little crass above. There is nothing stopping you from applying for jobs as a 3L after your 2L summer, but if it didn't work out now, it's less likely to work out as a 3L.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Renzo wrote:
blurbz wrote:...it wouldn't be a lateral. You don't need to accept employment with a firm you were with during your 2L summer, but you also wouldn't be classified as having been an associate there. When you're applying to places after that experience, you're still a law student or a new grad and you don't have the requisite experience to qualify as a "lateral."

True.

I was a little crass above. There is nothing stopping you from applying for jobs as a 3L after your 2L summer, but if it didn't work out now, it's less likely to work out as a 3L.

Yeah, I think ITE if you have a job now that will continue and you're not really hating it, I would keep it. As Renzo said, you can certainly apply for other things, though, if that's what you want to do!

Return to “Legal Employment”