What if you get DOJ and SA Law Firm offer What would you do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What would you do?

Take the firm job and dont even tell them about the DOJ
54%
Ask to split DOJ and firm
46%

Total votes: 28

Anonymous User

What if you get DOJ and SA Law Firm offer What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 pm

I just got a SA offer at a law firm. I accepted because they were my first choice over the DOJ because everyone essentially gets a full time offer from them.

Hypothetically if I get into the DOJ, would you guys ask to split summer? or end slightly earlier so I could finish DOJ?

Would you guys even think about telling the hiring partner? I was thinking about telling them that I am committed to the firm, but working at the DOJ will provide me with experiences that will help me in the long run.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swester

Re: What if you get DOJ and SA Law Firm offer What would you do?

Postby swester » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Killself and make two spots available for two other people who need the work. Problem solved.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got a SA offer at a law firm. I accepted because they were my first choice over the DOJ because everyone essentially gets a full time offer from them.

Hypothetically if I get into the DOJ, would you guys ask to split summer? or end slightly earlier so I could finish DOJ?

Would you guys even think about telling the hiring partner? I was thinking to tell them and then say that I am committed to the firm, but it might better in the long run for me to work at the DOJ.

Rather than telling the firm you don't think it's in your long term plans, I think you're far better off asking whether you can spend a period of your summer at the DOJ for the purpose of further expanding upon your litigation abilities which you will then bring with you when you return as an associate.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got a SA offer at a law firm. I accepted because they were my first choice over the DOJ because everyone essentially gets a full time offer from them.

Would you guys even think about telling the hiring partner? I was thinking to tell them and then say that I am committed to the firm, but it might better in the long run for me to work at the DOJ.

How does one simultaneously commit to a firm and communicate that you expect to leave for DOJ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:48 pm

MrKappus wrote:

How does one simultaneously commit to a firm and communicate that you expect to leave for DOJ?

yea mistake.... I meant that I am committed to the firm, but interning at the DOJ will help me at the firm in the long run.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yea mistake.... I meant that I am committed to the firm, but interning at the DOJ will help me at the firm in the long run.

Ohh...I don't know, I mean, what you said sounds pretty good. Esp if the firm does reg stuff, white collar work, etc. Just spin some BS about DOJ experience making you a better litigator (or transactor, as the case may be), b/c you'll have experience viewing the process from both sides.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:54 pm

swester wrote:Killself and make two spots available for two other people who need the work. Problem solved.

1) This didn't need to be anonymous.

2) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=132905

User has a vacation to think about these things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:55 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yea mistake.... I meant that I am committed to the firm, but interning at the DOJ will help me at the firm in the long run.

Ohh...I don't know, I mean, what you said sounds pretty good. Esp if the firm does reg stuff, white collar work, etc. Just spin some BS about DOJ experience making you a better litigator (or transactor, as the case may be), b/c you'll have experience viewing the process from both sides.

I also dont want to piss them off.... and I really want an offer from them full time.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also dont want to piss them off.... and I really want an offer from them full time.

Well, I hate to say it and I know it's obvious, but if that's the case, commit for 10 weeks and make yourself indispensable. You can always try for DOJ later...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Most firms have a policy on split summers, usually requiring the first part and a minimum number of weeks at the firm. A split with DOJ would be fine with most firms- they might feel differently if it were a split with another firm.

But as I said, most have a policy- just look at NALP and the firm website or - omg- call and ask them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:23 pm

I thought DOJ does not let you spilt- at 10k a background check its a big investment for them too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:27 pm

DOJ SLIP is only 6 weeks- they can hardly ask you not to split.
And many firms have shortened their summers to 10 weeks or less. So why would they care?

Just go to the firm first and go to DOJ second.

No problemo

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 pm

does anyone know if the DOJ requires the 6 weeks to be consecutive? Or could I say- work 3 weeks at DOJ, 9 weeks at a firm, and then finish the summer with the remaining 3 weeks of DOJ? The firm I accepted at has a set program of 9 weeks with no flexibility so it is looking like that is the only way I could do DOJ if I get it.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know if the DOJ requires the 6 weeks to be consecutive? Or could I say- work 3 weeks at DOJ, 9 weeks at a firm, and then finish the summer with the remaining 3 weeks of DOJ? The firm I accepted at has a set program of 9 weeks with no flexibility so it is looking like that is the only way I could do DOJ if I get it.

I can't advise you on this, b/c I don't know the policy, but common sense says there is no reason for them to let you do this. They have armies of applicants beating down their doors to do the full program. By the time you get in and do a few assignments, it'd be time to leave for your firm job.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 am

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know if the DOJ requires the 6 weeks to be consecutive? Or could I say- work 3 weeks at DOJ, 9 weeks at a firm, and then finish the summer with the remaining 3 weeks of DOJ? The firm I accepted at has a set program of 9 weeks with no flexibility so it is looking like that is the only way I could do DOJ if I get it.

I can't advise you on this, b/c I don't know the policy, but common sense says there is no reason for them to let you do this. They have armies of applicants beating down their doors to do the full program. By the time you get in and do a few assignments, it'd be time to leave for your firm job.

Don't listen to this. Depending on the firm, they have probably had DOJ interns. You just need to ask the firm/the DOJ about it - do some research into the firm, ask around to see if its something thats looked down upon.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:22 am

Blindmelon wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

Don't listen to this. Depending on the firm, they have probably had DOJ interns. You just need to ask the firm/the DOJ about it - do some research into the firm, ask around to see if its something thats looked down upon.

MrKappus is absolutely more than likely correct though IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

MrKappus is absolutely more than likely correct though IMO.

You people are overthinking this.

Firms have a split summer policy- they publish it- they live by it. Look it up

NALP has a government service policy- NALP firms are encouraged to hold slots open to April 1 if you have a government position pending.

SLIP is 6 weeks- no more, no less.

Most firm SA programs are 10 weeks or less and allow splits as long as you do firm first. I've heard firms are willing to negotiate this if they really like you.

You can do both. Just let the firm know what you are thinking.

DOJ isn't stupid either, with a 6 week program they know you are going to do somethig else, as does the firm.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:40 pm

+1 to the above. You guys are a little too scared about all this stuff. Anecdote I know, but I interviewed at a CB with someone who split their summer between V25 and DOJ - both gave offers, he chose accordingly. If its not a great firm, then they'd probably look down upon it, but the bigger names are probably more apt to be okay with it. Look into their policy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:+1 to the above. You guys are a little too scared about all this stuff. Anecdote I know, but I interviewed at a CB with someone who split their summer between V25 and DOJ - both gave offers, he chose accordingly. If its not a great firm, then they'd probably look down upon it, but the bigger names are probably more apt to be okay with it. Look into their policy.

I'm not saying it would be impossible for someone to split between a V100 type firm and the DOJ. The point is that it's unlikely for the DOJ to let OP spend three weeks at the beginning of the summer in the program and then take nine weeks off before concluding his remaining three weeks. It would be too disjointed for the DOJ experience to be meaningful. Thus, one would logically expect that DOJ would want the six weeks to be consecutive. Also, I think we would both acknowledge that such an arrangement would be highly unlikely given the program's popularity though not confirmed as 100% impossible until OP checks with the appropriate authorities at the DOJ.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:+1 to the above. You guys are a little too scared about all this stuff. Anecdote I know, but I interviewed at a CB with someone who split their summer between V25 and DOJ - both gave offers, he chose accordingly. If its not a great firm, then they'd probably look down upon it, but the bigger names are probably more apt to be okay with it. Look into their policy.

I'm not saying it would be impossible for someone to split between a V100 type firm and the DOJ. The point is that it's unlikely for the DOJ to let OP spend three weeks at the beginning of the summer in the program and then take nine weeks off before concluding his remaining three weeks. It would be too disjointed for the DOJ experience to be meaningful. Thus, one would logically expect that DOJ would want the six weeks to be consecutive. Also, I think we would both acknowledge that such an arrangement would be highly unlikely given the program's popularity though not confirmed as 100% impossible until OP checks with the appropriate authorities at the DOJ.

It restores my faith in future lawyers that someone actually read what I wrote and responded to it, as opposed to what blindmelon did.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:37 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It restores my faith in future lawyers that someone actually read what I wrote and responded to it, as opposed to what blindmelon did.

Ah yes. Sorry. You should just let the great opportunity go without even looking into it based on random conjectures of some anonymous person on an internet board! That will take you far in life.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Ah yes. Sorry. You should just let the great opportunity go without even looking into it based on random conjectures of some anonymous person on an internet board! That will take you far in life.

I didn't say "don't look into it." I gave common sense reasons for DOJ to decline a 3-week/firm/3-week split. Obviously it's up to OP whether he wants to inquire as to the various policies, but you jumped into this random "Do a split!! ZOMG!" argument that was completely besides my very narrow point (which was that the two 3-weeks things seemed infeasible). Try again.

Return to “Legal Employment”