SA's, How Best to Prepare?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stringer Bell

Re: SA's, How Best to Prepare?

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Suit first day of work to any job. Seriously. I've never worked anyway, internship or job where it wasn't standard to be in a suit the first day. Next day keep the tie, lose the jacket (still meeting people, etc). Third day go business casual.

I'm not trying to offer SA advice since I would be a poor source, but this is definitely not credited for any job. Any company I've ever worked for expects you to wear the appropriate attire. At my current company, 1 out of every 15 or so new hires will show up their first day rocking a suit and subsequently they get a bunch of crap (albeit harmless) for it from everyone else. It's good to err on the side of caution and dress as well or better than everyone else. But showing up for work in a suit at a company where the other employees clearly don't wear them is more likely to make a poor impression (unobservant/can't adapt to your situation/etc.) than not wearing one.

What market? In DC, it was suit on the first day standardly. It was a business casual office, but a lot of the higher ups still wore suits. Also, in Boston, for the first day of my internship of 30 students, everyone had a suit on but 1 person and the office was business casual. This may vary greatly from city - but DC is generally very dressy, and Boston tends to be more dress-down depending where you are.

Texas. That probably accounts for part of the difference. I wasn't trying to make a blanket statement saying that wearing a suit on the first day of a job is for n00bs. In alot of situations it makes sense and I imagine it does for an SA position. But there are some professional jobs in some locations where wearing a suit your first day can cause you stand out and in a way that isn't really favorable (but probably won't hurt you much either).

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Jos. A Banks Traveler, athletic cut of course, shirts FTW

Postby Renzo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding wrinkles: While it's good to have such shirts, any self-respecting male should own a steamer.

Why? My cleaner has one that works fine.

Postby MBskier » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”