Public Interest Offer While on Hold at a Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Public Interest Offer While on Hold at a Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:00 pm

I just got an offer from a pretty selective public interest organization. I'm very excited about it, and would take the offer if I weren't waiting for a decision from two firms. Is anyone else in the same or similar boat? Should I contact the recruiter and get a status update? I've already asked for an update last week, but as this was before I had a PI offer, I am not sure whether it would help or hurt my chances at the firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Public Interest Offer While on Hold at a Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:17 pm

I actually have the REVERSE situation. I have an offer from a firm and I am waiting for the public interest group to get back to me.

In my case, I called the public interest group and let them know about the offer. I didn't demand for a response, but I just explained that I had this offer open and that there was a deadline.

I haven't heard anything (for better or worse) from the public interest group since then.

That being said, the NALP guidelines say that a student in this situation (firm offer + waiting on public interest) can request that ONE firm offer be kept open while applying for public interest situations. The only problem is that I don't know how well this works in practice. After all, I don't think NALP enforces its guidelines very carefully.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:25 pm

I have offers from both a PI org that is top-notch in the practice area I'm interested in as well as a firm. I'm having a tough time trying to figure out what I'm going to do next summer. The perhaps obvious answer is to try and split, but I am encountering some resistance to that notion from both employers, so I may end up having to choose one.

Tough deciding between the security/money of the firm vs. the experience/quality of life/type of work I want to do at the PI org.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Just to fit the pattern of the thread, I have no offers from anywhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to fit the pattern of the thread, I have no offers from anywhere.

+1

Return to “Legal Employment”