1L Summer Associate Inquiry

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Associate Inquiry

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Exactly how good do your 1L grades have to be in order to get a firm job after the first year? Is there no hope without straight A's (or in my school's case, straight HH's?)

Also, do most firms even offer 1L SA positions? I have tried to figure this out by searching firm's sites, but it is not always clear.

Thanks for any and all info.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Associate Inquiry

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:51 pm

If you do end up with HH or close to the equivalent of straight A's you should look outside of just sending your resume out cold, and look into law firm 1L scholarships/fellowships.
While the previous poster is correct that generally 1L positions are designed for minority candidates, or candidates with other special backgrounds there are a lot of firms that give fellowships to outstanding 1Ls. Many of them come with a SA position and a 2L and/or 3L scholarship--usually in pretty hefty amounts.

The best way to find them is to just google 1L scholarships/fellowships. You should also make sure to cast a wide net. Although you may have a preference for a specific region of the country for your 2L job or your permanent job don't limit your 1L search so much. Be willing to go to some random part of the country. Also--GET GOING EARLY!!!! 1Ls can start applying for jobs after Nov 1, and you should have your resume, a template cover letter than can be easily customized, and a list of awards, scholarships and extra curricular activities similar to your law school application.
Also make sure you look at special government programs (DoJ, Securities& Exchange, etc.,) because they have honors programs for 1Ls that are incredibly prestigious and look great on a resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you do end up with HH or close to the equivalent of straight A's you should look outside of just sending your resume out cold, and look into law firm 1L scholarships/fellowships.
While the previous poster is correct that generally 1L positions are designed for minority candidates, or candidates with other special backgrounds there are a lot of firms that give fellowships to outstanding 1Ls. Many of them come with a SA position and a 2L and/or 3L scholarship--usually in pretty hefty amounts.

The best way to find them is to just google 1L scholarships/fellowships. You should also make sure to cast a wide net. Although you may have a preference for a specific region of the country for your 2L job or your permanent job don't limit your 1L search so much. Be willing to go to some random part of the country. Also--GET GOING EARLY!!!! 1Ls can start applying for jobs after Nov 1, and you should have your resume, a template cover letter than can be easily customized, and a list of awards, scholarships and extra curricular activities similar to your law school application.
Also make sure you look at special government programs (DoJ, Securities& Exchange, etc.,) because they have honors programs for 1Ls that are incredibly prestigious and look great on a resume.

I thought 1L's couldn't apply for summer assoc positions until Dec 1?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:28 pm

The point about 1L programs/fellowships/scholarships is a good one. There are some sites that have comprehensive lists of these sorts of things if you poke around. I'm sure competition for them will be quite intense.

Also, that NALP search is a great way to find out who hires 1Ls, but it is not perfect. Some firms that I am certain hire 1Ls don't return in that search. A more laborious way of finding is to look specifically at the Summer Associate section on a particular firm's NALP form. If they haven't hired any in the past three years, chances are they don't hire them.

EDIT: I'm amazed at how much people care about this topic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:40 pm

haven't read the thread, but grades don't matter as much for 1L SAs. First, you'll be sending shit out before grades come out. Second, most of the stuff is for minorities, and even those that aren't are still weighted that way. Interviews, resume, and writing ability.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:03 am

With grades like HHs, I'm assuming you're at some kind of t14. It's still a long shot, but I would seriously apply on December 1st to every firm in every market you're seriously interested in. (This means starting your cover letters now, have them ready to go on that date.) Look on nalpdirectory and martindale to find the firms. Nalp will even do a mail merge for you. Your career office has instructions on how to use a mail merge, if you don't know.

A lot of people just don't apply, and I know a few non-URMs that had positions, especially in secondary markets. It's worth trying and the payoff is, imo, tremendous.

Better grades are, of course, better, but a lot of callbacks etc might be over Christmas break, so grades might not even come into play.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:09 pm

I had top 2-3% grades from a T14 last year and applied to every firm in one non-NY/DC market and did one 1L OCI interview in another market. I got two callbacks. I didn't get the jobs, but the interview/CB experience alone was worth it. I had all summer to figure out how I could do a better job at CBs, and wasn't nearly as nervous for OCI and CBs when they really mattered this year.

I'm 100% sure that my grades were the only reason I got the CBs in the first place, since I had very few ties to either market.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:16 pm

curious -- i know for law schools, minorities == URMs

when you all are using the term 'minorities' in the above, do you still mean to say URMs exclusively?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:58 pm

With grades like HHs, I'm assuming you're at some kind of t14. It's still a long shot, but I would seriously apply on December 1st to every firm in every market you're seriously interested in.

Yep. Boalt.

I have spoken to two current 2L's who had firm jobs last summer. I learned of those jobs through completely casual conversation; so it wasn't like I was seeking them out. Neither were URM's. That leads me to think that the possibility is very real.

I would love to work at Perkins Coie, but it seems like their 1L program is for URM's only....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 am

top 10% after 1st semester at a t20. sent out 100+ resumes, cover letters... 1 NLJ250callback and offer. totally lucked out.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 am

DoubleChecks wrote:curious -- i know for law schools, minorities == URMs

when you all are using the term 'minorities' in the above, do you still mean to say URMs exclusively?

No. 1L diversity scholarships are for all minorities, although I'm sure it's still more helpful to be an under-represented minority.

And the anon raised a great point about law firm interview experience. Huge.

Return to “Legal Employment”