Simpson Thacher NY v Paul Hastings DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ahhhbiglaw

Simpson Thacher NY v Paul Hastings DC

Postby ahhhbiglaw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 am

I know these firms/offices differ drastically, and I think that's why I'm having such a hard time going with one or the other. QOL is moderately important to me (or as important as it can be for someone about to take a job at a big law firm), and I think both PH specifically and a DC practice more generally lend themselves to a better QOL. I'm thinking litigation in the long run, and I don't think either knocks it out of the park in that area.

Simpson has no billable min, while PH's 'budget' is 2000 - any thoughts on whether 'no billable min' means that you'll be billing so much we don't care whether it's 2400 or 2600?

Would I be a moron if I took PH over a V10?

Thoughts in general?

Anonymous User

Re: Simpson Thacher NY v Paul Hastings DC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 am

Take STB. Your career will thank you for it.

any thoughts on whether 'no billable min' means that you'll be billing so much we don't care whether it's 2400 or 2600?

I don't know if it means that. I think, for a place like STB, billing 2000 will keep you there for a few years. But you'd have to do 2200 if you want to stay longer, and over 2400 if you want to be on track for partner.

ahhhbiglaw

Postby ahhhbiglaw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks for the advice/info!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:22 pm

ahhhbiglaw wrote:I know these firms/offices differ drastically, and I think that's why I'm having such a hard time going with one or the other. QOL is moderately important to me (or as important as it can be for someone about to take a job at a big law firm), and I think both PH specifically and a DC practice more generally lend themselves to a better QOL. I'm thinking litigation in the long run, and I don't think either knocks it out of the park in that area.

Simpson has no billable min, while PH's 'budget' is 2000 - any thoughts on whether 'no billable min' means that you'll be billing so much we don't care whether it's 2400 or 2600?

Would I be a moron if I took PH over a V10?

Thoughts in general?

Unless you feel a really, really strong draw to DC or to Paul Hastings, STB is a much, much, much stronger firm. That said, what practices areas are you interested in?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:09 pm

I wouldn't choose PH over STB just because you like the idea of a DC practice more than a NY practice.

I also wouldn't choose STB over PH thinking that you're going to be able to skate by billing only 2000 hours a year because there's no minimum. Billing only 2000 hours at STB means you're shirking responsibility, leaving earlier than you should, dodging partners, etc.

STB is a MUCH better and healthier firm. And you're still going to work big hours in DC BigLaw. I'd take STB unless you have compelling reasons for being in DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Billing only 2000 hours at STB means you're shirking responsibility, leaving earlier than you should, dodging partners, etc.

There's no way that's true. I work at a firm that's reputable for having the worst hours in the industry, and 2000 hours will still buy you a couple years here. 1600-1800 is when you're:

shirking responsibility, leaving earlier than you should, dodging partners, etc.

Not everyone wants to stay at the firm long term. For "tourists," 2000 is perfectly reasonable.

ahhhbiglaw

Postby ahhhbiglaw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

I wouldn't say I have a compelling reason for staying in DC, but I am a local and do prefer it here. Reputation is important, and so is $$$, but given that the firms pay the same I think my primary goal is to have my life be as not-miserable as possible (with rep being a tie breaker or overwhelming a minimal QOL difference).

In answer to an earlier question - I'm planning on doing lit, barring any life-changing experiences over the summer.

If one were to take a "tour" of STB, any thought on coming back to DC?
Other thoughts? Face-time requirement differences, etc.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:58 pm

ahhhbiglaw wrote:Thanks for all the input guys.

I wouldn't say I have a compelling reason for staying in DC, but I am a local and do prefer it here. Reputation is important, and so is $$$, but given that the firms pay the same I think my primary goal is to have my life be as not-miserable as possible (with rep being a tie breaker or overwhelming a minimal QOL difference).

In answer to an earlier question - I'm planning on doing lit, barring any life-changing experiences over the summer.

If one were to take a "tour" of STB, any thought on coming back to DC?
Other thoughts? Face-time requirement differences, etc.?

I picked STB over Cravath, S&C and DPW so that should tell you something. Their lit department, while not as strong as those V5 firms, is still quite strong and underrated, although I'm more interested in corp. I would certainly pick STB over PH by a very very long shot; there's no comparison when it comes to giving your career and resume a big boost.

Go to STB for a few years then go to PH as an exit option if you want to be at DC for the long term. You can't do that the other way around if you're so inclined.

STB, as most of the elite NYC biglaw firms, would probably require soul-crushing billable hours if you hope to stay without getting boned for "performance reasons".

Return to “Legal Employment”