FTC Bureau of Competition - Status Updates?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: FTC Bureau of Competition - Status Updates?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is somewhat off topic, but still related. I am planning on applying to Bureau of Competition's 1L internship. Does anyone know who we can address our cover letters to? Their website just gives an email and they haven't responded to my email asking them.

I addressed mine as "Dear Recruiting Committee:". Your cover letter will be circulated to multiple individuals who will be interviewing you. They also probably haven't responded because, under NALP guidelines, they're not supposed to... not until Dec. 1st.

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Also if anyone knows more about their 1L summer hiring, and wants to share that would be great. (I know it's really competitive but I do have a strong background in what they are looking for).

It's great that you're applying, but be aware that the competition is keen. Work experience isn't entirely determinative, nor are grades.

Also be aware that things run very very slowly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:51 am

ughhhh
3L here interviewed SEVERAL weeks ago. they said i would hear back by now. not a peep. anyone? anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Fwiw, according to a friend of mine there has been movement within the past two weeks. Friend is at T14 and has an economics background.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:14 pm

interviewed a while back and was told that i would have an answer in a couple of weeks. have not heard a yay or a nay. latest word is to hopefully have answers by thanksgiving but in government, that probably means christmas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 am

No... thanksgiving seems accurate. Rejected today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No... thanksgiving seems accurate. Rejected today.

Was this for the FTC Bureau of Competition 2L internship?

fwiw, I was rejected by the FTC's consumer bureau yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No... thanksgiving seems accurate. Rejected today.

Sorry to hear. I have heard of BC hiring someone they rejected one year the following year. Did you hear by email or phone?

jplayer

Postby jplayer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:13 pm

capitalacq wrote:these last few posts are why there is no hope for humanity

Congratulations, you are now ready to begin work at the "Bureau of Competition".

But seriously, I apologize for my previous crackpot remarks. After all, everyone knows that the bureaucrats at the "Bureau of Competition" earn their salaries from voluntary exchange on the open market, and not from loot appropriated by thugs with guns. Furthermore, they are clearly immune to any kind of pressure from special interests, like large corporations, which might stand to gain from using them as a club to beat down their competitors. They will never become, like so many other government agencies, major producers of the thing they are (ostensibly) created to fight.

Good luck sir! I salute your service to the public good!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Oh.. I haven't been rejected yet. It was from the Bureau of Consumer Protection. The wave of sadness must have clouded my vision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:39 pm

jplayer wrote:
capitalacq wrote:these last few posts are why there is no hope for humanity

Congratulations, you are now ready to begin work at the "Bureau of Competition".

But seriously, I apologize for my previous crackpot remarks. After all, everyone knows that the bureaucrats at the "Bureau of Competition" earn their salaries from voluntary exchange on the open market, and not from loot appropriated by thugs with guns. Furthermore, they are clearly immune to any kind of pressure from special interests, like large corporations, which might stand to gain from using them as a club to beat down their competitors. They will never become, like so many other government agencies, major producers of the thing they are (ostensibly) created to fight.

Good luck sir! I salute your service to the public good!

Jaded much? You have no faith in your government whatsoever, I assume. So instead of working for a government organization that is, presumably, most immune from special interest pressures, you suggest working for BigLaw -- firms that are in the business of protecting large corporations (or working for corporations themselves)? Your analysis is pretty flawed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:51 am

Anyone hear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear?

For which? It seems people are using this board for both 2L summer internship and the FTC's version of "honors program."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Honors Program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:23 pm

It appears offers have been made, or the agency is having some serious budgetary issues.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:53 am

rejected via email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:33 pm

any updates on this? can anyone confirm of receiving an offer for FTC's honors program?

Return to “Legal Employment”