Top Firm in New Orleans vs. Mid Size Firm in ATL

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: Top Firm in New Orleans vs. Mid Size Firm in ATL

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Bosque wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the NO firm give you any indication of how many people they plan to hire this year? That is crucial in making a decision.

They say everyone has a shot, but history tells me they'll extend offers to about half of the summer class.

This should disqualify them immediately!

THIS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:22 pm

I wonder if it is accurate to say that Tulane is the go to school for the New Orleans area. Many local lawyers prefer to hire LSU or Loyola kids and if you look at the hires for the last couple of years it seems to be dominated much more by those two schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:31 pm

If you are not from the region top 15 percent and even many in top 10 are not getting even screening interviews. Tulane students at least don't seem to do better than loyola students despite the general disparity in student quality. Think firms don't doubt the commitment of loyola students to new Orleans and there is a tremendous alumni network

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:38 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I don't think that there are enough of these uber prestigous non nlj250 firms hiring Tulane grads in New Orleans to account for the fact that they weren't listed in the go to schools article.

I think so. Realistically, Tulane should have landed around 20% in big law in that chart. I think that the city is attractive enough that people will would want to stay and work for the best firms in town (and there are plenty of those firms). However, I think that it is a tough decision because new orleans firms seem to have low offer rates and don't pay much compared to Texas firms (Stone pigman: 1900 billable hours and ~$90,000 a year; Bracewell & giuliani: 2000 billable hours and $160,000 a year). Yet, once you have lived in new orleans for several years, you can look past raw numbers - this place does something to people.

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder if it is accurate to say that Tulane is the go to school for the New Orleans area. Many local lawyers prefer to hire LSU or Loyola kids and if you look at the hires for the last couple of years it seems to be dominated much more by those two schools.

Most Tulane students want to leave. I know a significant amount of 2012 and 2011 students who did not participate in OCI (re: did not participate at all). Personally, I think that is retarded. However, it's their choice. For that reason, many new orleans firms are not dominated by Tulane grads - but some are. Due to the economy, I believe that a lot of so-so firms decided to attend Tulane's OCI because they realized that they actually could hire above median students when in the past, they would not have. The good firms are going to continue to do what they have always done - except for the ones that cancel their summer programs.

Ungrateful 0L

Postby Ungrateful 0L » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I don't think that there are enough of these uber prestigous non nlj250 firms hiring Tulane grads in New Orleans to account for the fact that they weren't listed in the go to schools article.

I think so. Realistically, Tulane should have landed around 20% in big law in that chart. I think that the city is attractive enough that people will would want to stay and work for the best firms in town (and there are plenty of those firms). However, I think that it is a tough decision because new orleans firms seem to have low offer rates and don't pay much compared to Texas firms (Stone pigman: 1900 billable hours and ~$90,000 a year; Bracewell & giuliani: 2000 billable hours and $160,000 a year). Yet, once you have lived in new orleans for several years, you can look past raw numbers - this place does something to people.

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder if it is accurate to say that Tulane is the go to school for the New Orleans area. Many local lawyers prefer to hire LSU or Loyola kids and if you look at the hires for the last couple of years it seems to be dominated much more by those two schools.

Most Tulane students want to leave. I know a significant amount of 2012 and 2011 students who did not participate in OCI (re: did not participate at all). Personally, I think that is retarded. However, it's their choice. For that reason, many new orleans firms are not dominated by Tulane grads - but some are. Due to the economy, I believe that a lot of so-so firms decided to attend Tulane's OCI because they realized that they actually could hire above median students when in the past, they would not have. The good firms are going to continue to do what they have always done - except for the ones that cancel their summer programs.

But there are about 250 students in Tulane's class. Those firms are hiring maybe 20-30 tops. Again, I don't think that is enough to account for the difference.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Oh I'm not referring to this year. I was referring to the class of 2009. There was enough then, trust me. Now for the classes of 2011/2012, who knows...

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Agree that New Orleans is a great city and that there are many good students who had other options who chose instead to remain with local firms. That is happening this year as well. However, as another poster pointed out, there are not that many jobs available because of small class sizes, and there seems to be a reluctance to interview people without real ties to the area. It is hardly the case that students above median are getting interviews with the so-so firms. I am very well above median and I haven't had single local interview, while I have managed to get interviews with more national firms. Many of my friends are also well above median with the same sort of results. If you are top 10% here you really do have pretty decent options. Absent that however, it is much more of a struggle. It will be interesting to see how the class of 2012 is doing upon graduation, I hope things improve.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Is it true that less than 15% of the Tulane graduating class has jobs?

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 pm

I can only speak for class of 2012. I'd be surprised if 9months following graduation my class is doing quite that terribly. But, given how people are doing in getting SA positions, it's not looking great. And I say that even though I love it here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 am

Since we are talking about Tulane, I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

Honestly, I don't think a Louisiana native with options should go to any school in the state other than LSU. Tulane just isn't worth it. From my experience, it seems going to a well ranked out of state school gives you the ability to tap into that school's primary market, other markets in that region, and the market back home in Louisiana. Additionally, it seems like firms relax their standards a bit when dealing with kids from out of state schools; a top 1/3 Louisiana native at Tulane is not even going to get to interview with a lot of the more prestigous firms, where as a top 1/3 Louisiana native from say UGA, Emory, Bama, ND, UNC etc... at least gets into the room.

When you consider those things, Tulane just isnt worth the price for an LA resident. If youre dead set on staying there for school I think you go to LSU because it's cheap. If you can get into a higher ranked, well respected school, you go there because you have more options available to you.

Just my opinion.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:57 am

don't think top 1/3 from any of the schools you mentioned are getting in the room for an interview either...I'm curious how loyola kids are doing though. I really wonder how the local firms here in Nola regard the two schools student for student. You would think the raw admissions numbers would give Tulane students a decided advantage, but I don't know if that is the case at all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:26 am

pocket herc wrote:don't think top 1/3 from any of the schools you mentioned are getting in the room for an interview either...I'm curious how loyola kids are doing though. I really wonder how the local firms here in Nola regard the two schools student for student. You would think the raw admissions numbers would give Tulane students a decided advantage, but I don't know if that is the case at all

I know for a fact that there are kids outside the top 25% from 3 of those schools who did more than just get into the room at major Nola firms; they got jobs too.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:38 am

why anonymous? If they did, that's cool, though I am surprised, especially if they did so recently.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:23 am

Which firms were you talking about?

Anonymous User wrote:Is it true that less than 15% of the Tulane graduating class has jobs?

I can guarantee you that that is not true. They published a list of all the jobs that people had as of June and it was way more than 15%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:08 am

I meant the upcoming graduating class.

como

Postby como » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 pm

I would generally say deeeeefinitely go with NO because it kicks ass, but if the firm you're talking about is Proskauer, I might think twice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 pm

pocket herc wrote:don't think top 1/3 from any of the schools you mentioned are getting in the room for an interview either...I'm curious how loyola kids are doing though. I really wonder how the local firms here in Nola regard the two schools student for student. You would think the raw admissions numbers would give Tulane students a decided advantage, but I don't know if that is the case at all

I don't think the local firms care as much about admissions numbers or school rank. From what I have heard from friends (completely anecdotal I know), LSU and Loyola do much more to help their students make connections in the local market. When it comes down to it, those efforts pay off and admissions numbers/school rank get thrown out the window. On the other hand, Tulane has the issue of trying to help people find jobs in local market while also trying to send their top students to bigger markets.

Anyway for the OP - I know job security in this market is so important, but for me New Orleans seems like a great place to live and I might choose it over Atlanta even with the risk involved, especially since you are splitting with another firm anyway. But I hate Atlanta so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to given your options.

Return to “Legal Employment”