NALP rules for unpaid internships/summer associateships?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Saraswati

NALP rules for unpaid internships/summer associateships?

Postby Saraswati » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 am

Does NALP have rules about working unpaid at for-profit law firms? Particularly during the summer? The position that was offered to me is interesting, but I'm not sure I can justify working for free next summer, especially since it is not public interest related. Thoughts on taking the financial hit to "gain experience"?

Anonymous Loser

Re: NALP rules for unpaid internships/summer associateships?

Postby Anonymous Loser » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Saraswati wrote:Does NALP have rules about working unpaid at for-profit law firms?

No, but the U.S. Department of Labor does.

Renzo

Re: NALP rules for unpaid internships/summer associateships?

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Saraswati wrote:Does NALP have rules about working unpaid at for-profit law firms?

No, but the U.S. Department of Labor does.

Unpaid internships are almost always illegal, but that doesn't mean they are uncommon, or even that you shouldn't consider it. However, a for-profit firm that won't pay you probably also won't really teach you much. My suspicion is that you could find a better non-paying gig.

Return to “Legal Employment”