Finding alums at firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
king3780

Finding alums at firms

Postby king3780 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:35 pm

I'm a 2L at a school in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region. Some things in my life have changed in the past year and now I'd like to head to the West/Intermountain West region when I'm done with school. The smart thing to help get me there would be to do my clerkship/internship next summer in the region where I want to end up. Alums from my school are supposedly in all 50 states, but I'm not sure where to find them. Career Services probably has a list, but those kinds of lists are never complete. Is there any kind of search engine I can use to locate alums in a particular state or region?

Bosque

Re: Finding alums at firms

Postby Bosque » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Well, you can search on most firm's websites by school, so that is one option. And of course, as you already mentioned, your CSC probably has a list as well. The quality of the list differs depending on the school. Some are fantastic and almost 100% complete, while some are not even 50% complete for the graduating 3L's let alone the rest of the alumni. Other than those, you can try LinkedIn, martindale, or another professional profile site like that.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 pm

Bosque wrote:Well, you can search on most firm's websites by school, so that is one option. And of course, as you already mentioned, your CSC probably has a list as well. The quality of the list differs depending on the school. Some are fantastic and almost 100% complete, while some are not even 50% complete for the graduating 3L's let alone the rest of the alumni. Other than those, you can try LinkedIn, martindale, or another professional profile site like that.

Forgot about Martindale. That helped a ton. Thanks.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:42 pm

You can even use Martindale to search for alums from your specific UG-LS combination.
Go to search by source in Lexis and then Martindale-Hubbell Listings (located on bottom-right of the page).

Code: Select all

COLLEGE(Podunk) and LAW-SCHOOL(Yale)

Return to “Legal Employment”